Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Odhinn wrote: »
    Maybe in your galaxy. In this one, he pays VAT on what he buys.

No he doesn't. The taxpayer pays it. The taxpayer gives him his money. He earns nothing. It's free for him.
    Put the hand out every week and money comes out over the post office counter like magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Blueshoe wrote: »
    No he doesn't. The taxpayer pays it. The taxpayer gives him his money. He earns nothing. It's free for him.
    Put the hand out every week and money comes out over the post office counter like magic.

He pays VAT on his purchases. It's an INDIRECT TAX. He is not VAT exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Fair play to him he obivously made the effort to integrate into Irish society a good example of legal immigration working. Now the open borders brigade will use him as one example to promote their agenda of open borders and multiculturalism.

One person moving here is more likely to integrate than large numbers of immigrants from the same place.

He came with his family.

Who are the "open borders brigade"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've never met, spoken to or read of a single rational person who could be seriously considered part of "the open borders brigade". Absolutely nobody wants "open borders" as is insinuated by those using the phrase, but it's a convenience to passively shut down conversation if you can say "well, you obviously want murderers and rapists flooding the country".

Personally, I want compassionate borders, that acknowledge and support the harsh reality of human life and treats those arriving with dignity, barring the very obvious exceptions that shouldn't even need outlining.

He pays VAT on his purchases. It's an INDIRECT TAX. He is not VAT exempt.

Costs him nothing. Not even a cent. It's free money paid by the taxpayer.

Going back to your argument that unemployed pay tax. They don't. It's money given to them by the government going back to the government. Costs him nothing. He just gets free stuff out of it.
    Also free housing and healthcare.

All shouldered by those who bother get up every day

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've never met, spoken to or read of a single rational person who could be seriously considered part of "the open borders brigade". Absolutely nobody wants "open borders" as is insinuated by those using the phrase, but it's a convenience to passively shut down conversation if you can say "well, you obviously want murderers and rapists flooding the country".

Personally, I want compassionate borders, that acknowledge and support the harsh reality of human life and treats those arriving with dignity, barring the very obvious exceptions that shouldn't even need outlining.

Also calling someone a racist because they disagree with your open border ravings is an effective way to shut down a conversation.
    Well it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Boggles wrote: »
    He came with his family.

One family one person whatever big difference to thousands of people coming
    Who are the "open borders brigade"?

People like Mark Malone on Twitter a far left activist who's salary is paid by your taxes as he works for an NGO. Yet he still gets to spew his bile unchallegened by anyone aprt from on Twitter. Most far left groups like PBP etc. also support open borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Fair play to him he obivously made the effort to integrate into Irish society a good example of legal immigration working. Now the open borders brigade will use him as one example to promote their agenda of open borders and multiculturalism.

One person moving here is more likely to integrate than large numbers of immigrants from the same place. I'm pro legal immigration in small quantities which usually works to benefit the host nation but I'm against mass immigration from people all coming from the same place with a similar alien culture which has proved a disaster in may countries.

For example if an Irish person moved to Japan tommorrow on his/her own they would have to make the effort to integrate into Japanese culture and society order to get by fund themselves and do daily tasks. But if 10,000 Irish people moved to Japan tommorrow then they would likely stick together live in the same area only really see one another and fail to integrate into Japanese society.

So it's the Japanese you're after now Stephen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also calling someone a racist because they disagree with your open border ravings is an effective way to shut down a conversation.
    Well it was.

So, exactly what I'm saying then. Grand so. "Open border ravings" by your own words, hyperbole for convenience. Closed borders are impossible and don't work, but wanting compassion in the process doesn't make it "raving" either.

I don't call someone who disagrees with me racist, I call them racist when they say racist things, usually circling around some insinuation, direct or otherwise, about the other'ness of Irish citizens with dark skin.

People like Mark Malone on Twitter a far left activist who's salary is paid by your taxes as he works for an NGO. Yet he still gets to spew his bile unchallegened by anyone aprt from on Twitter. Most far left groups like PBP etc. also support open borders.

Can't find him. What's his username

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

myshirt wrote: »
    So it's the Japanese you're after now Stephen?

Just using it as an example. Japan is light years ahead of Ireland and take a far more sensible approach to immigration than us.

So, exactly what I'm saying then. Grand so. "Open border ravings" by your own words, hyperbole for convenience. Closed borders are impossible and don't work, but wanting compassion in the process doesn't make it "raving" either.

I don't call someone who disagrees with me racist, I call them racist when they say racist things, usually circling around some insinuation, direct or otherwise, about the other'ness of Irish citizens with dark skin.

I want the money taken from my pay slip to be spent on things that will make my life better.
    Jonny from Nigeria can go do 1

Costs him (..................) day

23% of the price of his purchase (to generalise) goes to the exchequer. He pays tax indirectly.

23% of the price of his purchase (to generalise) goes to the exchequer. He pays tax indirectly.

He isn't spending his own money. Costs him nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what NGO does malone work for? i thought he as a freelance journalist.

I want the money taken from my pay slip to be spent on things that will make my life better.

So it's strawmen now and the 'aul "F*ck you, I've got mine". Hey at least you're honest, so I respect the candour even if I can't even reach your borderline libertarianism. Though IIRC, further-flung, non EU migrants were/are more likely to settle down, so there's probably a good chance Johnny from Nigeria's working his ass off to make a life here; probably a harder worker than you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Can't find him. What's his username

Soundmigration lol. That's one of his pages.

He isn't spending his own money. Costs him nothing

More nonsense. He is subject to indirect taxation.

So it's strawmen now and the 'aul "F*ck you, I've got mine". Hey at least you're honest, so I respect the candour even if I can't even reach your borderline libertarianism. Though IIRC, further-flung, non EU migrants were/are more likely to settle down, so there's probably a good chance Johnny from Nigeria's working his ass off to make a life here; probably a harder worker than you ;)

If Johnny has a skill that's in demand and he will pay his own rent or get a mortgage then bring him on in.

If not then we don't need him
    Would you not agree?
    Work smarter not harder

More nonsense. He is subject to indirect taxation.

It's not a tax if it doesn't cost you anything

• Advertisement

It costs him 23% of whatever the price was.

If Johnny has a skill that's in demand and he will pay his own rent or get a mortgage then bring him on in.

If not then we don't need him
    Would you not agree?
    Work smarter not harder

Again, with this "open borders brigade" myth, predicated on this idea we want people unwilling to work, contribute and mix with the country. Migrants with skills are always preferred, but unskilled labour primarily made of migrants, students, (or migrant-students) is a fact of life.

We should be helping anyone find a role, not making it difficult to live, then grumbling because they're out of work and sponges. "Work smarter" is just being glib and reductionist, but like I said we clearly have nothing in common here.

VAT adds to the cost you pay. You're being taxed at the till when you pay the ~20% extra above the value. It literally has the word "Tax" in the acronym? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Some lad on Twitter. Never heard of him. :confused:

So what you are saying is no one of any significance wants complete open borders?

Why the scare mongering so?

Boggles wrote: »
    Some lad on Twitter. Never heard of him. :confused:

So what you are saying is no one of any significance wants complete open borders?

Why the scare mongering so?

We'll all become Nigerian if they let them in, or something. Apparently you get less irish the more foreigners there are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Somebody paying tax should get preference over someone paying no tax.

Why are you suggesting all immigrants dont pay income tax?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No they don't. A tax is a deduction from income. Free money that is taxed is not a deduction from income. It's just less free money!

This is absolute nonsense. There are other forms of tax outside income tax.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Costs him nothing. Not even a cent. It's free money paid by the taxpayer.

Going back to your argument that unemployed pay tax. They don't. It's money given to them by the government going back to the government. Costs him nothing. He just gets free stuff out of it.
    Also free housing and healthcare.

All shouldered by those who bother get up every day

You clearly dont understand economics.

If you didnt pay dole then these people couldnt purchase what they do. Then vat receipts would be massively down. Then companies couldnt survive because nobody is buying their goods. Then companies have to let more people go. Then theres more unemplomyment. Causing many more problems on the housing and healthcare systems.

Its all very well ranting how your taxes subsidise people on the dole. Your policies would effectively put you on the dole.

Terry Pratchet

You clearly dont understand economics.

If you didnt pay dole then these people couldnt purchase what they do. Then vat receipts would be massively down. Then companies couldnt survive because nobody is buying their goods. Then companies have to let more people go. Then theres more unemplomyment. Causing many more problems on the housing and healthcare systems.

Its all very well ranting how your taxes subsidise people on the dole. Your policies would effectively put you on the dole.

Lol. Read that back to yourself!

Could they not get jobs and spend their own money on goods and services instead? And pay the vat on same.
    Would that not make more sense to you?

And you made a comment about economics!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

While your perfectly entitled to your opinion, I for one am delighted that your views are a supported by a tiny minority here.

If it was really about the money its probably corporate welfare you should be raging about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jameshealy19

People Keep on saying Gemma is all into conspiracy theories yet it was the liberal MSM who kept on pushing the narrative that Russia influenced the 2016 US Presidential election. Gemma doesn't have much influence but the MSM does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement