Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when feminists advocated for the burning of bra's , do you think for one second that anyone played the mental gymnastics of "they mean run up to random women and burn their bra's "

No because feminists called on women to burn their own bras.

Clutching at straws there EC

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Overheal wrote: »
    when feminists advocated for the burning of bra's , do you think for one second that anyone played the mental gymnastics of "they mean run up to random women and burn their bra's "

No because feminists called on women to burn their own bras.

Clutching at straws there EC

If you want to talk about clutching at straws take a look in the mirror pal, youve been clutching at the made up idea that im advocating attacking young girls for pages now, its not sticking.

If you want to talk about clutching at straws take a look in the mirror pal, youve been clutching at the made up idea that im advocating attacking young girls for pages now, its not sticking.

I don’t know what you mean,

Someone linked to Gemma telling people to “burn any hijabs that you see”

You gave an unqualified endorsement of that. You’ve since spent the morning trying to backpedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Feminists had their own bras to burn. You and Gemma supporters don't have your own hijabs to burn.

Gemma called on her supporters to burn any hijabs that they see. You said this was one of the few things that she got right.

You're advocating violence against women and children. Classy.

The thing is that the call to burn bras is a myth, the call that tit made to her supporters isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The thing is that the call to burn bras is a myth, the call that tit made to her supporters isn't.

An incitement to hatred basically. I see on twitter that a Councillor has reported her to the Gardai over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Surely the Gardai have better things to be doing than looking at some harmless tweets. This FG councillor must live in a very privileged area if this is what gets him all hot and bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Surely the Gardai have better things to be doing than looking at some harmless tweets. This FG councillor must live in a very privileged area if this is what gets him all hot and bothered.
    You'd prefer to wait for someone to act out her request ala trump and his "punch him" comments??

An incitement to hatred basically. I see on twitter that a Councillor has reported her to the Gardai over it.

Could also be seen by some as an incitement to commit assault, given that unless her supporters are going to commit trespass or breaking and entering where are they going to find these garments in order to burn them.

”harmless”

https://www.irishpost.com/news/young-muslim-girls-kicked-egged-dublin-gang-allegedly-pulled-hijabs-off-170319

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

Yes, burning an item of clothing harms no-one.

The 'assault' looks like any other egging by little scamps in Dublin, there was no evidence of any religious element to it. This is the most tolerant country in the world for Muslims. Maybe a little too tolerant.

Yes, burning an item of clothing harms no-one.

The 'assault' looks like any other egging by little scamps in Dublin, there was no evidence of any religious element to it. This is the most tolerant country in the world for Muslims. Maybe a little too tolerant.
    Prey tell how the average lunatic gets hold of a hijab they see and burns it without assaulting the wearer???

I can see why political correctness is so important. I hadn't read that quote from Gemma until now but reading Eric Cartman's posts, I knew he didn't literally mean violently remove the hijab and burn it or burn it off their backs. It's a turn of phrase. I'm sure Gemma didn't mean it literally either but here we are. Be politically correct if you don't want to be misunderstood. It's like the way Trump supporters constantly have to come to his defense, bending over backwards to tell you what he really meant with a controversial statement.

Or just don’t say things that violently irrational fringe lunatics won’t latch to

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Prey tell how the average lunatic gets hold of a hijab they see and burns it without assaulting the wearer???

It's a hack of a leap to go from 'burn hijabs' to 'assault women and burn their hijabs'. If people are uncomfortable with the practice of keeping women under male control, they have a right to protest against it.

I can see why political correctness is so important. I hadn't read that quote from Gemma until now but reading Eric Cartman's posts, I knew he didn't literally mean violently remove the hijab and burn it or burn it off their backs. It's a turn of phrase. I'm sure Gemma didn't mean it literally either but here we are. Be politically correct if you don't want to be misunderstood. It's like the way Trump supporters constantly have to come to his defense, bending over backwards to tell you what he really meant with a controversial statement.

I think you mean correct grammar, something an ex journalist should be capable of. But maybe she's just dumbing down to the level of her supporters.

It's a hack of a leap to go from 'burn hijabs' to 'assault women and burn their hijabs'. If people are uncomfortable with the practice of keeping women under male control, they have a right to protest against it.
    It really isn't. This isn't a woman who wants to empower women based on all her other comments.

Nice try but given some of your post history you haven't any issues with women being controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This isnt about Gemmas asking Muslims to burn their hijabs though. Its Gemma asking far right Islamophobes to burn any hijsb they see. Big difference.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You'd prefer to wait for someone to act out her request ala trump and his "punch him" comments??

We don't have to wait.

https://www.joe.ie/news/gardai-investigating-assault-dundrum-678588

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

And when two white European girls go walking round a Muslim country, they are treated with such respect.

https://news.sky.com/story/fifteen-men-charged-over-beheadings-of-female-hikers-in-morocco-11595382

And when two white European girls go walking round a Muslim country, they are treated with such respect.

https://news.sky.com/story/fifteen-men-charged-over-beheadings-of-female-hikers-in-morocco-11595382
    oooh we're back to more whataboutism. Yippee.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Saw her chatting to a lad with an Infowars hat on just now 🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So you've moved on to trying to justifying assaults based on a person's religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

What’s your logic here? We should try to bridge the gap of depravity?

bobmalooka wrote: »
    What’s your logic here? We should try to bridge the gap of depravity?

We are the most tolerant country in the world. It's embarrassing how people are twisting this 'assault' into something it's not. Why didn't she call the gardai, instead of taking a video? Would be interesting to see what happened in the lead up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

We are the most tolerant country in the world. It's embarrassing how people are twisting this 'assault' into something it's not. Why didn't she call the gardai, instead of taking a video? Would be interesting to see what happened in the lead up to it.

It is being investigated by the Gardai, fact that they pulled off her Hijab would tend to reinforce the probability that it was a hate crime. So you'd genuinely benefit from having a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So because two women were murdered by muslims in another country, its ok to drag the hijabs off random muslim women and humiliate them......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I doubt if these scrotes were readers of Gemma’s blogs or feed.

Not that I wouldn’t welcome hate crime legislation in these kind of cases.

• Advertisement

We are the most tolerant country in the world.

You appear to be stuck on repeat. Whats your basis for this statement? Are you suggesting this incident in Dundrum is fake?

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement