Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Who is this Gemma and what's her Twitter username? I wanna check her "crazy tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We are the most tolerant country in the world.
    [citation needed]
    Why didn't she call the gardai, instead of taking a video? Would be interesting to see what happened in the lead up to it.

So you’re bitching out of both holes that she a) shouldn’t have videotaped it and called the police instead (except they’re aware and actively investigating) and b) she should have taken MORE video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Overheal wrote: »
    [citation needed]

Ireland is fairly tolerant. You could look at the low level of anti immigrant political activities and organisation. Gemma is a tiny outlier amongst journalists and the national party could hold their party meetings in a shed. A small one.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Dundrum used to be a nice well to do area, then the social housing tenants were allowed in....
    Anyways, someone was going to get egged that day by those little scumbags, but you can bet the house that the minute they saw the two muslim girls they went straight for them, which means they were targeted because of their religious/ethnic background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I'd agree that Ireland is generally fairly progressive and inclusive and we very much like to be seen in that light. However, we all live in our own bubbles to some degree and it can be extremely dangerous to assume that just because you haven't personally experienced that level of bigotry and hatred that it doesn't exist.

Ireland's also not immune to social media and trends in other anglophone countries like the US and UK and further afield and it's very easy for the kind of toxic extremism that's bubbling up elsewhere to start bubbling up here too.

I would also caution that Ireland has a history of completely ignoring problems and pretending they aren't there if it doesn't suit our particular mental image of what Ireland should be. We did plenty of that in the past when we completely ignored all the various institutional abuses that were going on under our noses.

I can fully understand that people don't want to accept that there's a problem (minor and all as it may be) with racism or xenophobia, but it exists and if it's not recognised and challenged now, it has the potential to grow into something far more serious.

Trying to explain away that incident in Dundrum as anything other than racism or nonsense pretending that it didn't happen is simply does not fly at all. It's making excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Turns out the vile attacked are members of the traveling community. Names and pictures appearing all over social media.

What now for the vocal left. Condemn travellers?
    Unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Turns out the vile attacked are members of the traveling community. Names and pictures appearing all over social media.

Unlikely
    There are criminal settled people and criminal travellers. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unlikely

Condemn racists is likely however. Have you learned nothing from this thread re. Racists :pac:

You can do a bit better than that.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    There are criminal settled people and criminal travellers. What's your point?

The point is the identity of the attackers is now known. Young members of the traveling community.

What will happen next?

The point is the identity of the attackers is now known. Young members of the traveling community.

What will happen next?
    If you're correct hopefully they are charged and prosecuted. Again what's your point?

• Advertisement

What will happen next?

Why does them being travellers matter to you?

If you're correct hopefully they are charged and prosecuted. Again what's your point?

No point. Just spreading the news. Without leaving anything out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

What will happen next?

I think they should be convicted for a hate crime. I couldn't care less if they're travelers. You really seem to think your points are hard-hitting but they're not...

No point. Just spreading the news. Without leaving anything out
    Yes, sure you are. I dont condemn all settled people when one fo them acts as a criminal why would I condemn all travellers when one (or more) of them acts as a criminal? You're showing your true colours there.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

DO you agree with this question; Travellers should have been forcefully settled and their "culture" thrown out decades ago when the government could still have gotten away with it.

batgoat wrote: »
    I think they should be convicted for a hate crime. I couldn't care less if they're travelers. You really seem to think your points are hard-hitting but they're not...

Probably thinks they are "truthbombs"

#5G #YouTube #Epstein

You are raging. You had been hoping it was some o Doherty's minions.

Now you know that it was members of the traveling community you are still outraged but also disappointed.
    Why else would you be on this particular thread.

Faux outrage is strong

Lock them up.

Now you know that it was members of the traveling community you are still outraged but also disappointed.

Faux outrage is strong

Lock them up.

What outrage?

People asked you why you are fixated on the racist thugs happening to be travellers?

Why are you hallucinating again?

Why do you think travellers cant also be minions of O'Doherty anyway?

Faux outrage is strong

Lock them up.
    Ah here now. One day after Gemma calls for hijab burning someone with a hijab is assaulted. You think that's a coincidence??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Unlikely

This idea may well blow your little mind, but maybe it's possible to condemn them without condemning all Travellers.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    What outrage?

People asked you why you are fixated on the racist thugs happening to be travellers?

Why are you hallucinating?

I'm certainly not hallucinating. Whoever is responsible should be locked up.
    But it wasn't O'Doherty's band of merry eejits.

Hopefully pavee point call this out for the racist, disgusting attack that it is.

Faux outrage is strong

Lock them up.

Any moron can subscribe to Gemma O'Doherty's bigotry, being a member of the travelling community doesn't suddenly change the possibility that they have been influenced by her. Eg John Connors loves Gemma O'Doherty and Croft... Tbh, I imagine most would prefer if she simply didn't espouse hate. Now are you capable of behaving like a grownup?

Hopefully pavee point call this out for the racist, disgusting attack that it is.
    You dont know that. And you dont know if they heared about or were influenced by her comments. You really really dont know...

You were babbling about raging people here, you seem to have come back to reality.

Curious tho why do you think Travellers can't be one of GemGems merry band?

batgoat wrote: »
    Any moron can subscribe to Gemma O'Doherty's bigotry, being a member of the travelling community doesn't suddenly change the possibility that they have been influenced by her. Eg John Connors loves Gemma O'Doherty and Croft... Tbh, I imagine most would prefer if she simply didn't espouse hate. Now are you capable of behaving like a grownup?

So you are blaming her?

So you are blaming her?

Do you think John Connors is a traveller or a supporter of GemGem.

You dont know that. And you dont know if they heared about or were influenced by her comments. You really really dont know...

Neither do you. They are children so il hazard a guess that they are just dragged up little scrotes. Not people worried about mass immigration or any of the other rubbish she spouts.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do you think John Connors is a traveller or a supporter of GemGem.

Did John Connors carry out the attack?

So you are blaming her?

I have absolutely no idea if they influenced them or not. Neither do you. I do think she has numerous tweets that are incitement to hatred and could encourage racist individuals to commit acts of violence. Now have you realised that your entire argument at the moment is moronic?

• Advertisement

Neither do you. They are children so il hazard a guess that they are just dragged up little scrotes. Not people worried about mass immigration or any of the other rubbish she spouts.
    Well yes, that's my point. But I'm not acting like I know exactly what happened like you are so definitively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement