Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

recedite wrote: »
    Hurry up with that evidence boss.
    I earned that prize and I don't like being cheated out of it.
    Sharpening my slash hook right now.

Connors appears to have expunged her and any from his twitter timeline. He was regularly calling her a national hero along with Rowan Croft. But don't take my word for it, he's interviewed by Croft, they were besties for a bit.

https://twitter.com/rowanwcroft/status/1128003060750585857

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not a hate crime, any more than getting your car keyed.

Only if your car was a Muslim car, and was keyed for wearing Muslim clothing - that's the only way it is similar to getting your car keyed.

El_Bee wrote: »
    Dundrum used to be a nice well to do area, then the social housing tenants were allowed in....
    Really? When exactly did that happen? And where were they allowed into?

We are the most tolerant country in the world. It's embarrassing how people are twisting this 'assault' into something it's not. Why didn't she call the gardai, instead of taking a video? Would be interesting to see what happened in the lead up to it.
    Classy - blame the victims for not reacting 'properly'. Are you one of those guys who asks rape victims about how many drinks they had and why they wore the short skirt?

It's a hack of a leap to go from 'burn hijabs' to 'assault women and burn their hijabs'. If people are uncomfortable with the practice of keeping women under male control, they have a right to protest against it.
    Except it wasn't 'burn hijabs' - it was 'burn any hijabs that you see'. How can you burn someone's hijab without assaulting them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

batgoat wrote: »
    "Who provoked who", so you really are trying to push a nonsense narrative where she was responsible. Now it would seem like your mind is pretty clouded by your own views to the point where you ignore hate crimes or try to blame the victim. :rolleyes:

Have you seem an extended video? Because it's unclear what happened on the one in circulation. Nonetheless, that hasn't stopped a government minister, the head of Amnesty Ireland and the usual rent-a-quotes declaring it a hate crime. It's like they want to live in a polarised society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Just on the news that the dundrum attack is not believed to be racially motivated. A strange statement when the investigation is not complete and the guards are still looking for witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

batgoat wrote: »
    Connors appears to have expunged her and any from his twitter timeline. He was regularly calling her a national hero along with Rowan Croft. But don't take my word for it, he's interviewed by Croft, they were besties for a bit.
    "Expunged" is it boss?
    The evidence has been expunged. That doesn't stand up in this here court.

I've seen that Grand Torino video before, and its a good un.
    But GT is not Gemma.

I want my prize now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

"Expunged" is it boss?

But GT is not Gemma.

Starting to pull the piss regarding the handing over of the promised prize.
    Where is it? What's his game?
    Over promise and under deliver.
    A bright future in politics ahead of him.

Lash out the prize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

cookie1977 wrote: »
    So we've gone from "it's not a hate crime" to "Let's leave the Gardai investigate before rushing to conclusions."

Another 180. Impressive.

It's assualt. I honestly don't see why crime should be treated depending on the motive. All crime should be treated the same regardless of the motive. An attack on a white man should be treated the exact same as a racially motivated attack on a black man with the perpetrator getting the same sentence depending on the severity of the crime and damage inflicted on the victim.

I am in no way excusing but without proper sentences scum will be scum and will always find an excuse to inflict damage on another person. For example there is a big anti racism campaign on public transport at the moment and stories about non national bus and Luas drivers being racially abused and attacked however I know for a fact that Irish drivers are also regular victims of verbal and physical abuse.

In my opinion the campaigns should be saying that all forms of abuse towards staff and passengers on public transport is unacceptable regardless of the motive and a push for tougher sentences. Scum will be scum and they attack anyone for any reason the best way to combat racial attacks is extra Garda resources and tougher penalties. No doubt the scum that carried out this attack in Dundrum will play the violin that they had a tough upbringing and the usual nonsense and end up with the usual suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's assualt. I honestly don't see why crime should be treated depending on the motive. All crime should be treated the same regardless of the motive. An attack on a white man should be treated the exact same as a racially motivated attack on a black man with the perpetrator getting the same sentence depending on the severity of the crime and damage inflicted on the victim.

I am in no way excusing but without proper sentences scum will be scum and will always find an excuse to inflict damage on another person. For example there is a big anti racism campaign on public transport at the moment and stories about non national bus and Luas drivers being racially abused and attacked however I know for a fact that Irish drivers are also regular victims of verbal and physical abuse.

In my opinion the campaigns should be saying that all forms of abuse towards staff and passengers on public transport is unacceptable regardless of the motive and a push for tougher sentences. Scum will be scum and they attack anyone for any reason the best way to combat racial attacks is extra Garda resources and tougher penalties. No doubt the scum that carried out this attack in Dundrum will play the violin that they had a tough upbringing and the usual nonsense and end up with the usual suspended sentence.
    I suppose all lives matter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

"Expunged" is it boss?

But GT is not Gemma.

It's pretty clear he's got plenty of deleted tweets about her. Click into this one and you'll notice "This Tweet is unavailable" which is one it's in response to. Tonnes of them if you search his username and gemma..... So I suspect he removed because it didn't look great.

https://twitter.com/pbrennan50/status/1033139429655891968

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I suppose all lives matter too.

Who is arguing that all lives don’t matter? Odd thing to say.

• Advertisement

They do say the latter.

Look, if you believe that most of these racist attacks are by “scum”, and you might be right, you should support hate crime legislation as it might light a fire under the judiciary’s collective arses and get some decent sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Why is John Connors being discussed in relation to this attack? Is there any evidence that he was involved?
    It seems completely off topic and mildly incriminatory to be discussing Connors as if he has some relevance to the story.

Who is arguing that all lives don’t matter? Odd thing to say.

All crime should be treated the same regardless of the motive. An attack on a white man should be treated the exact same as a racially motivated attack on a black man with the perpetrator getting the same sentence depending on the severity of the crime and damage inflicted on the victim.

When the black lives matter movement started in America the right wing started the "all lives matter" movement. Not because they cared about all life.

Claiming we're all equal is classic right wing trope. We know all lives matter but when certain communities are being targeted specifically then there is nothing wrong with calling for that community to be better protected.

We're not all equal in reality and you're fooling no one by clinging to this trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Why is John Connors being discussed in relation to this attack? Is there any evidence that he was involved?
    It seems completely off topic and mildly incriminatory to be discussing Connors as if he has some relevance to the story.

Because a certain poster seemed to believe that travellers couldn't also be Gemma supporters?

Not that hard to figure out why? :confused:

When the black lives matter movement started in America the right wing started the "all lives matter" movement. Not because they cared about all life.

Claiming we're all equal is classic right wing trope. We know all lives matter but when certain communities are being targeted specifically then there is nothing wrong with calling for that community to be better protected.

We're not all equal in reality and you're fooling no one by clinging to this trope.

That’s assuming that some of us know as much about the US as you do. Irish forum here.

However I’m in favour of hate crime legislation because, although Ireland’s feral underclass will attack anyone, it is probably worse for visible minorities. Anyway it might actually see some useful sentencing.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Because a certain poster seemed to believe that travellers couldn't also be Gemma supporters?

Odd though to assume that because one traveller follows Gemma, they all do.

The links between Gemma and this particular attack seem tenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The story was all over the place this morning blaming Gemma but when it turned out it was case of Culture Boss the words "All forms of racism" started to appear.

Reminded me of that story a few years ago when an Afghan family were attacked. The likes of PBP/AAA called for an anti-racism rally at Nutgrove Shopping Centre. The outrage disappeared when it turned out that some people were arrested and they came from the "Cultural District" of Nutgrove.

There is no organised Far-Right targeting and attacking migrants in Ireland, it doesn't exist. Its always a case of Skangers being Skangers. They wouldn't know what Far-Right even means.

That’s assuming that some of us know as much about the US as you do. Irish forum here.

However I’m in favour of hate crime legislation because, although Ireland’s feral underclass will attack anyone, it is probably worse for visible minorities. Anyway it might actually see some useful sentencing.

Where do you think most of the numpties on the Irish right wing get their views and opinions (incl. Gemma). It's from infowars and American right wing media. Sure American right wing organisations have pumped lots of money into this country to push their agenda. Climb out of that box and look around you. It's a small world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

pinkyeye wrote: »

Eh no. I innocently entered the competition, but it wasn't my idea to hold it.
    Now I'm told I won't get my prize because John Connors expunged all the (supposed) evidence to prove that he ever had anything to do with Gemma.
    Which kinda makes him "not a supporter" even if true.

Where do you think most of the numpties on the Irish right wing get their views and opinions (incl. Gemma). It's from infowars and American right wing media. Sure American right wing organisations have pumped lots of money into this country to push their agenda. Climb out of that box and look around you. It's a small world.

I’m sure some do get their opinions from the US although I doubt the money trail.

On the other hand the Irish left also seem to think they are living in the US. Which they aren’t.

• Advertisement

Religious right not really the same as the alt right.

This seems like the inverse of the right wings claim about Soros.

I generally talking about American rhetoric appearing here - white privilege, alt right, liberals used in an American fashion. The obsession with Trump. The assumption that “all lives matter” would be a phrase we are all familiar with.

America’s a dreadful place bit I’d prefer critics of it didn’t think they lived there and/or only responded to its internal injustices. Far more relevant to me (and to your life) is its blundering wars in the Middle East and North Africa which after all kill millions and destabilise the region, including Europe.

Religious right not really the same as the alt right.

This seems like the inverse of the right wings claim about Soros.

I generally talking about American rhetoric appearing here - white privilege, alt right, liberals used in an American fashion. The obsession with Trump. The assumption that “all lives matter” would be a phrase we are all familiar with.

America’s a dreadful place bit I’d prefer critics of it didn’t think they lived there and/or only responded to its internal injustices. Far more relevant to me (and to your life) is its blundering wars in the Middle East and North Africa which after all kill millions and destabilise the region, including Europe.

Ah Soros. The favourite right wing bogeyman. Was wondering how long that would take. Religious right are so very much the same as most of the alt right. Look at Gemma and her use of religion to protect the native Irish. Religion has been used to cast off the "other" for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How's that a 180? People are claiming this as a hate crime without a single shred of evidence. I'm saying it's not a hate crime, and let Gardai investigate.

Prove its not then.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I've never heard of it until now so I can't speak of the all lives matter movement.

Well the left regularly go on about equality but then celebrate diversity don't you think it's a tad hypocritical to say we're all equal then celebrate diversity. Why does diversity matter if we're all equal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

All different. All equal. Its pretty simple Stephen.

Prove its not then.

Can you please tell me what is a "hate crime"? Surely all crime is driven by a degree of hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

I've never heard of it until now so I can't speak of the all lives matter movement.

Well the left regularly go on about equality but then celebrate diversity don't you think it's a tad hypocritical to say we're all equal then celebrate diversity. Why does diversity matter if we're all equal?

Did you ever let us in on your ancestry?

tigger123 wrote: »
    All different. All equal. Its pretty simple Stephen.

How can they be all different and all equal when the definition is that they are exact opposite?

equal
    /ˈiːkw(ə)l/
    adjective
    being the same in quantity, size, degree, or value

different
    /ˈdɪf(ə)r(ə)nt/
    adjective
    not the same as another or each other; unlike in nature, form, or quality

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    Did you ever let us in on your ancestry?

Why does it matter are you a racist?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement