Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfortable clip-less shoe?

Options
  • 21-06-2019 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there's such a thing?

I am not a speed daemon or looking to transfer 99.9% of the power to pedal etc, I just want to cycle comfortably with a clipless shoe that avoids feet slipping off the pedal, especially when it's wet and/or after walking on the muck etc.

I read somewhere that MTB shoes are more comfortable than road shoes and bought a FiveTen Kestrel MTB shoe, and while it's a great pair, I could hammer nails into concrete walls with it. Sole has no give what so ever. I might as well have stitched a leather upper to a block of timber. I have done couple of 200k rides with them, but they are far from comfortable.

Ideally I want a running shoe (soft flexible sole and textile upper) with a SPD yoke at the bottom. Is there such a shoe? Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

I was cycling with normal pedals and a pair of ASICS, but I found that my feet were getting sore because I was trying to (unconsciously) wrap my toes around the pedal for grip.

I very recently changed to SPD pedals and a pair of Shimano mt3's. The sole is stiffer, and I'm only getting used to the feeling of pedaling while clipped in, but you can walk in these shoes, they look like normal shoes, and so far are comfortable. Can't compare them to any other cycling shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If comfort is your priority: flat pedals. Cheapo running shoes.

People will cry out about your loss of power but really the benefit of clips is fractional so unless you're in a skin suit on a 6KG bike who cares? Sprinting is different but depending on who you ride with you may never sprint at all.

uhzEhwG.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

positron wrote: »
    Ideally I want a running shoe (soft flexible sole and textile upper) with a SPD yoke at the bottom. Is there such a shoe? Thanks!!

At a guess putting an SPD cleat onto a flexible soled shoe would leave the cleat pushing into your foot which would itself be uncomfortable. You also need enough firmness in the sole that twisting the shoe actually twists the cleat out of the pedal. When you buy the SPD cleats they come with a backplate, so you could try fitting them into an old pair of shoes yourself. I've been tempted to try this myself on a pair of old walking boots for bike and hike outings.

Using DHB MTB shoes myself which are cheap and comfortable but are also stiff soled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The thing about the hard sole is that it spreads the pressure over your whole foot instead of it being concentrated on just the pedal area.

Running shoes, OTOH, need to flex as you run.

For real comfort, try SPD sandals. They dry out when the rain stops...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ED E wrote: »
    ...People will cry out about your loss of power but really the benefit of clips is fractional....
    It's more about the fixed security of feet on the pedals and being in the optimal position automatically more that loss of power in my opinion.

OP - as cdaly has said, you can't really have it both ways. A soft sole on a cleat would be very uncomfortable after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There's loads of options. Search "casual spd shoes" or the likes. (SPD being different to SPD-SL). I have a pair of Specialized Cadet Shoes which are perfect for walking - they look just like a trainer - and have a fully recessed SPD cleat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you can still find them the look city or look touring shoes are very comfortable. They've a runner Keo cleat that's recessed in them and grand for walking in

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stiff shoes aren't uncomfortable.

Uncomfortable shoes are uncomfortable.

The Giro rumble shoe got a good write up on Road.cc.

https://road.cc/content/review/238333-giro-rumble-vr-mtb-cycling-shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Thank you for the suggestions and comments. I totally understand how a cleat under a soft sole wouldn't work at all - makes complete sense now that I think about it.

I guess there are two separate issues - one is the inflexibility of the sole, that is to walk around off the bike, and the rigidity of the upper, which I think is probably the severe of the two in my case with the FiveTen Kestrel.

I will do a bit more reading up on CX, touring shoes etc with softer upper. And if nothing works, I guess it's back to platform pedals, toe clips and comfy runners! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Insufficient width is a common cause of discomfort, although you haven't said how your current shoes are uncomfortable.

Shimano are generally wider than other brands, and have wide fit models.

Not sure why you're bothered by walking comfort unless you're actually touring.

Advertisement