Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance between socket and washing machine inlet valve

Options
  • 21-06-2019 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, Is there anything in the building regulations regarding a minimum distance between a socket and washing machine inlet valve? The socket is under the counter and aproximately 250mm horizontal from the inlet valve but it's slightly lower than the valve and I'm wondering if the socket is meant to be higher thean the valve incase of water leakage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I know its 1m for the kitchen sink. But as far as under counter I don't think there is. I can be wrong there! the unit is 600mm wide and space is tight usually the water is closer to the ground

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Specific measurements are not given for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ken682

Thanks for the reply guys. Ok great, so no specific measurements in building regs for this. I would have thought the water would be closer to the ground too Keith. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ken682 wrote: »
    Ok great, so no specific measurements in building regs for this.

There are rules within the "National Rules for Electrical Installations ET101:2008" that would apply.
    Here is an example, I put the part relevant to you in bold:
    133.3 Conditions of installation

Electrical equipment shall be selected so as to withstand safely the external influences characteristic of its location to which it may be exposed. If, however, an item of equipment does not have by design the properties corresponding to its location, it may be used on condition that adequate additional protection is provided as part of the completed electrical installation.
    keithdub wrote: »
    I know its 1m for the kitchen sink. But as far as under counter I don't think there is. I can be wrong there! the unit is 600mm wide and space is tight usually the water is closer to the ground

I don't think so.
    I am open to correction but my understanding is that no such measurement is provided within ET101:2008

Recently when I attended a presentation on the new revision of the rules (IS10101) as far as I recall it was stated that no such measurement will be provided in these rules either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ken682

That's very interesting, thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement