Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

In terms of the personal abuse etc. Some of it is so borderline and that's when the issues arise.

If someone posts something and a response is
    " Your post comes across as acting the clown"
    It's an insinuation that this person is being a clown but likely not a card.

Where as if some says
    "You're a clown" it's a card.

Plot twist. What if it's that person's actual Job? :pac:

Clown is in no way different than saying ' You're being silly' which is literally the insinuation behind it.

I'm fully against it, but biased because I got carded for calling someone a clown :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe we can have next seasons feedback (already looking forward to it) in a forum that doesn't have thanks buttons, since it's clearly bothering people who thanks what.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Maybe we can have next seasons feedback (already looking forward to it) in a forum that doesn't have thanks buttons, since it's clearly bothering people who thanks what.

Would be far less posters then Tom :pac:

• Maybe we can have next seasons feedback (already looking forward to it) in a forum that doesn't have thanks buttons, since it's clearly bothering people who thanks what.

It's the utter irony of complaining about back-slapping while getting the back-slapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

fullstop wrote: »
    The quote from the charter, from 2011 by the way, is "Nicknames like whisky nose, fat Spanish waiter, Fat Sam, Fat Frank, Maureen, and similar is abuse"

They are just examples, but you knew that.

I agree, the charter is very clear on that point. Which is why I would find it odd that Fraudiola etc has been let go all season if that is in fact the case.

What would be the reason for Fraudiola, Emptyhad etc to be let go when the charter is so clear? Again, on the assumption they have been unsanctioned so regularly as was stated initially.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not sure if you are serious ha but if you are How do we point out the feedback we would like the mods to look at then.. the whole thread would be made up of "agreed" "+1" etc.

astradave wrote: »
    Not sure if you are serious ha but if you are How do we point out the feedback we would like the mods to look at then.. the whole thread would be made up of "agreed" "+1" etc.

Don't mods usually just do a general consensus at the end anyway? I don't think thanks are taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Don't mods usually just do a general consensus at the end anyway? I don't think thanks are taken into account.

Nah we'll have a look at the more sensible options and see what we can implement, thanks wouldn't have any bearing really.

From the first post, why say this if it has no bearing? So will you be going by what mods agree and not what the users agree with. Is there any point in this thread if so
    Kiith wrote: »
    (4) As usual, we'll be using 'Thanks' to work out what suggestions seem the most supported, so if you agree what someone says thank their post and it gives us a better idea and makes it easier to keep track that trying to add up loads of individual posts. This is your chance to have your say so if you have an issue and you think it needs to be resolved mention it, but please remember this isn't a place to grind your axe, try be constructive in your input.

Thanks mean **** all, people who get hung up on them are genuinely puzzling to me.

Doing away with the thanks button would be great, do away with it and ban the +1 posts.

Think about it, seeking that kind of approval/attention from a bunch of randomers on an internet forum, ****ing hell like. What does it add to the forum when you really get down to it?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

From the first post

Brilliant :D

Good to know the mods are all on the same page anyway

Consistency folks, gotta love it :pac: Consistently inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

From the first post, why say this if it has no bearing? So will you be going by what mods agree and not what the users agree with. Is there any point in this thread if so

Some **** show in here .Come on Mods get it together.

• Don't mods usually just do a general consensus at the end anyway? I don't think thanks are taken into account.

Yes it's specifically thanks. According to the rules set out on this very thread by a moderator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

Nah we'll have a look at the more sensible options and see what we can implement, thanks wouldn't have any bearing really.

Oopsie not on the same page as OP then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Woops :D

In my eyes they're just too compromised to take much stock of. Some of the cross-fanbase ones, sure, but I'm aware that even my posts are almost wholly thanked by the "other side".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My own thoughts on the totting up system: why is it two yellows before any sort of real sanction kicks in?
    I can understand a bit of leeway and giving someone a slap on the wrists but if they dont learn from it surely a red (ie, two yellows if we want to use an analogy) should follow if said poster acts the tulip a second time.

I don't have an issue with it being per season, just wondering why it's two warnings before any sort of real punishment kicks in.

Overall though, and I say this as a person who only really started posting regularly in the last 12-15 months here, I think it's mostly grand. The few bad eggs but sure that's the case everywhere. I've probably posted in most of the super threads and not had too much of an issue with anyone on either side tbh, the odd soapboxer alright but nothing major.

Not much else really to add in the way of feedback but I agree with the overall sentiment there should be an extra mod or two appointed to police the more active threads on the forum.

It's where the major traffic goes so doesn't reflect well on the forum when there's all sorts of snide digs (sometimes between the clubs own fans, not just between rivals) being posted.

For next season, I'm planning ahead. Penciled in on my calender and everything.

Wouldn't do any harm to get shot of thanks in feedback though, save people second guessing others motivation for posting something.

Woops :D

In my eyes they're just too compromised to take much stock of. Some of the cross-fanbase ones, sure, but I'm aware that even my posts are almost wholly thanked by the "other side".

But that's is basically just dismissing what feedback users think are more important, it shouldn't matter WHO thanks a post if it is thanked in a large number, this would mean that a large amount of the forum would like this to be looked at by the mod team. By deciding that those thanks have no merit you are basically aiding one side because the other doesnt agree and vice versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it would be an interesting experiment to do away with the thanks button for the first month of the new season and see if it improves the level of debate.

If it proves very unpopular you could always bring it back. Curious to see if it would make a difference. I think it might but who knows.

• Advertisement

For next season, I'm planning ahead. Penciled in on my calender and everything.

Wouldn't do any harm to get shot of thanks in feedback though, save people second guessing others motivation for posting something.

I suppose with a ban on +1 and agreed it could work, and if you are agreeing you could give your own opinion on that

Feedback for the next feedback thread :pac: you couldnt make it up :D

Feedback for the next feedback thread :pac: you couldnt make it up :D

Good to plan these things early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

I suppose with a ban on +1 and agreed it could work, and if you are agreeing you could give your own opinion on that

But then we will have to account for a ban on -1+2

Go hardcore on thread banning people from the communal threads.

Soapboxing is accounted for in the charter but ****e that skirts the charter from the super trolls will always be hard to put into written rules.

The mods need to stamp down on it with monthly thread bans for common offenders. Especially the ones who start it. Do we really need people who are continuously trying to wind up others.

I understand ye can't give cards for this subtle behaviour but thread bans seems to be the way to go imo

The out and out trolling can be carded and longer thread bans given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If we're banning things, can we add "the mods seem to have missed that " from the next thread?

We get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Go hardcore on thread banning people from the communal threads.

Soapboxing is accounted for in the charter but ****e that skirts the charter from the super trolls will always be hard to put into written rules.

The mods need to stamp down on it with monthly thread bans for common offenders. Especially the ones who start it. Do we really need people who are continuously trying to wind up others.

I understand ye can't give cards for this subtle behaviour but thread bans seems to be the way to go imo

The out and out trolling can be carded and longer thread bans given

Thread bans should be permanent.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Removing the Thanks button is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

5starpool wrote: »
    Removing the Thanks button is a terrible idea.

Why is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I mostly only read the match threads or the general PL thread.

The thing i see drag these threads off topic the most is United v Liverpool.
    Bringing United into a Liverpool match thread or Liverpool into a United match thread should be a yellow card. Obviously unless they are playing each other.
    For instance, the summer transfer thread has now had so many posts comparing AWB and TAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The thing i see drag these threads off topic the most is United v Liverpool.

Yes this is the worst part of the forum. If there was any way to sort this it would be great.

The sly digs at each other just seem constant, nothing can be discussed or talked about properly... and if I see that antonio banderas gif again :)

And each side blames the other. Sigh.

I agree with getting rid of the thanks button, if that was an option. Anything to stop either side encouraging it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why is it?

Because as much as some posters make it their mission to thank every post a utd fan makes, it's still better than said posters regurgitating the same post to signal agreement.

Or +1s etc.

• noodler wrote: »
    Because as much as some posters make it their mission to thank every post a utd fan or a Liverpool fan makes, it's still better than said posters regurgitating the same post to signal agreement.

Or +1s etc.

Fyp

noodler wrote: »
    Because as much as some posters make it their mission to thank every post a utd fan makes, it's still better than said posters regurgitating the same post to signal agreement.

Or +1s etc.

It's already been suggested that +1's would be a bannable offense.

I've also no idea why you just singled out United Fans. It literally happens between both sets of fans. You pointing out that it's just United fans is only adding fuel to the fire and totally unnecessary.

Edit: Fred got there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've also no idea why you just singled out United Fans. It literally happens between both sets of fans. You pointing out that it's just United fans is only adding fuel to the fire and totally unnecessary.

Off course you do. Its always the same one sided examples :pac:

And that whole AWB vs. TAA thing yesterday was such a dirge to read through.

Banning people for saying +1 in the absence of the thanks button would compound the stupidity.

Anyway, thankfully it is a suggestion that will be dismissed out of hand by mods and admins, much like lots of other earnest, but daft suggestions people make.

I don't get the issue with the Thanks button, it's not something that affects my everyday life whether people use it, don't use it or 'abuse' it.

Genuinely don't often even notice it tbh.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Off course you do. Its always the same one sided examples :pac:

And that whole AWB vs. TAA thing yesterday was such a dirge to read through.

Yep and so predictable! And United fans who used the 75m against VVD suddenly wonder why people care about transfer fees. :)

And around and round it goes!

Necro wrote: »
    I don't get the issue with the Thanks button, it's not something that affects my everyday life whether people use it, don't use it or 'abuse' it.

I just thought it might encourage the back and forth between the United Liverpool folk. When their buddies thank the post that is a dig against the "opposition".

No proof though! And the downsides might far out weigh it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Fyp

If we're talking about banning certain posts or features, can this be bumped to the top of the queue?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I just thought it might encourage the back and forth between the United Liverpool folk. When their buddies thank the post that is a dig against the "opposition".

No proof though! And the downsides might far out weigh it.

But if it's only a few that use it in that manner, why change it for the many who don't is my thoughts tbh.

Seems like playing into these people's hands by removing something that the vast vast majority of people don't 'abuse' it (is that a thing? I really didn't know one could abuse a Thanks button lol).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fred usually gets there first alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

There is a part in the charter relating to abuse of the thanks button. Ie I call you a bellend and someone thanks the post, both me as the poster and the person that thanks the post can be carded. Precedent has however been set when someone was told by a mod to stop thanking regular posts in the liverpool thread which would suggest that at least one person was triggered enough by someone thanking posts to make a complaint about it. No more than the example of someone calling for the word slip to be banned from the lfc thread, you cannot legislate for that level of offence.

I would think that alot dont care who thanks what posts but evidence would suggest that a number of lfc fans get their knickers in a twist from the likes of fred thanking things as this has been mentioned more than once this past season in the lfc thread. Fyi, it wasnt him told to stop thanking the posts in the lfc thread.

Bizarre what agitates some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One thing I notice with the thanks button is that some posters (including some on this thread) who are most up in arms about the trolling and goading and so on are also the posters you'll see as having thanked the most witless trolling posts on the forum, when it's the 'other side' that is being trolled.

Maybe from that perspective it's handy to identify the bullsh!t artists.

There is a part in the charter relating to abuse of the thanks button. Ie I call you a bellend and someone thanks the post, both me as the poster and the person that thanks the post can be carded. Precedent has however been set when someone was told by a mod to stop thanking regular posts in the liverpool thread which would suggest that at least one person was triggered enough by someone thanking posts to make a complaint about it. No more than the example of someone calling for the word slip to be banned from the lfc thread, you cannot legislate for that level of offence.

I would think that alot dont care who thanks what posts but evidence would suggest that a number of lfc fans get their knickers in a twist from the likes of fred thanking things as this has been mentioned more than once this past season in the lfc thread. Fyi, it wasnt him told to stop thanking the posts in the lfc thread.

I mean maybe there's an issue I don't really know tbh, it's not something that keeps me up at night.

Maybe I'm just jaded about rules being made for the majority because of a small minority, I dunno.

Just don't see the point in removing it and making a whole plethora of rules accompanying it such as 'no +1s' etc

Seems like overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Banning people for saying +1 in the absence of the thanks button would compound the stupidity.

Anyway, thankfully it is a suggestion that will be dismissed out of hand by mods and admins, much like lots of other earnest, but daft suggestions people make.

Similar to what beasty and skyline head accused me of yesterday how can you speak for mods? What's the story with you saying you know what the mods are thinking?

Dont know if you realise it but your just a regular poster the same as everyone else and everyone is entitled to put forward opinions without been called daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Doesn't bother me either it's the same as the humour thread if I didn't like it I wouldn't open it and look.

You still haven't given a reason as to the actual benefits of it. If you read the other posts also, you would see that if somebody posted +1 and then added further discussion than it would be acceptable to avoid multiple clogging of threads.

Personally, I don't care about the 'Thanks' button, the most annoying thing about it, is the fact that it's not a 'Like' button which is basically what it is.

However, it may partially solve the mob mentally of '' Oh my boy did those other fans with that post, got to like it''

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But if it's only a few that use it in that manner, why change it for the many who don't is my thoughts tbh.

Seems like playing into these people's hands by removing something that the vast vast majority of people don't 'abuse' it (is that a thing? I really didn't know one could abuse a Thanks button lol).

It is one user primarily in the Liverpool thread as an example.

It makes no sense to remove it for the hundreds of posters for a literal handful of posters. To me it is overkill.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Similar to what beasty and skyline head accused me of yesterday how can you speak for mods? What's the story with you saying you know what the mods are thinking?

Dont know if you realise it but your just a regular poster the same as everyone else and everyone is entitled to put forward opinions without been called daft.

Of course I'm just a regular user, but I've been around long enough, and was a mod long enough as well to know how things work on boards and what things are just not going to fly, and removing the thanks button and banning anyone who uses +1 are examples of that type of thing. If I was wrong, and the mods/admins looking at this decided it was worth trying, I predict it would bring far, far more disorder, chaos, feedback threads and general upset, than leaving it in place.

• Advertisement

T. No more than the example of someone calling for the word slip to be banned from the lfc thread, you cannot legislate for that level of offence.

Ah, but its not about the offended. Why use the term if it will offend? Only to offend, and that places it on the yellow list in the charter.

Bizarre the lengths a poster will go to to cause offence. Sample, one of the big posters on this thread looking for fair treatments has persistently been making sly digs at another poster on the thread, and I'm certain both are aware of it, but the target has been big enough not to rise.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement