Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Life imitates art reasonable sane adults let their emotions flow up and down the country and around the world while watching sports do you honestly expect that to be any different on the internet.

I have seen generally nice parents, kids adults go mental on sidelines and once they are away from that sport they revert back to being normal people who wouldn't say boo and this has been going on for generations.

When you have the likes of Carra and Neville the main ex pro's on the flagship football station engage in this kind of banter with each other regulatory both on screen and on social media and normalising this is going to happen more and more.

So because Carra and neville use terms, that OK's it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The last few pages in particular demonstrates best why modding the soccer forums is difficult. Lots of posters failing to agree on what constitutes a slur or a troll etc and going around in circles. Posters up in arms at the beginning of the thread about mods being inconsistent yet the poster base can't agree on what terms should be allowed and what shouldn't. No mod no matter how impartial or fair he/she tries to be is going to get it right all of the time in this environment.

No one said its easy but it would be helped greatly if there was more mods and maybe something that is very borderline was not actioned without second opinion. Most cases of abuse are pretty straight cut in my opinion its just petty stuff that needs to be thought out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Panthro wrote: »

He never said that. He said it becomes more normalized because it's seen so frequently on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Boards is like any walk of life just on the internet.

You have the hard workers who just get on.

You have the messers who work hard but want a bit of a laugh to get through the day.

You have the skivers who don't care about anybody but themselves just there for their own amusement.

You have the few folk who stalk others for some weird kicks they get from it.

You have the few folk who just need to find offence in everything to show off they are better than everyone else.

You have the bosses that have to oversee everything and try to keep everyone happy.

The internet for all it's positives and faults is just a microcosm of real life and Boards falls right in to that.

He never said that. He said it becomes more normalized because it's seen so frequently on TV.

Ahh.
    Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Panthro wrote: »

Show me where I said that makes it OK?

I said what they do normalises it for the fan watching them do it on TV and when things become normal on TV it makes its way into real life.

Show me where I said that makes it OK?

I said what they do normalises it for the fan watching them do it on TV and when things become normal on TV they make there way into real life.

As I've said. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The last few pages in particular demonstrates best why modding the soccer forums is difficult. Lots of posters failing to agree on what constitutes a slur or a troll etc and going around in circles. Posters up in arms at the beginning of the thread about mods being inconsistent yet the poster base can't agree on what terms should be allowed and what shouldn't. No mod no matter how impartial or fair he/she tries to be is going to get it right all of the time in this environment.

And it’s important to reiterate again that a lot of regular users feel they’re doing a very good job when all of that is borne in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The thing is, it's usually supporters of the club that he once managed who call him that. Nobody else on the forum seems to do it,yet they'd be the first to be outraged if anyone else did it.

Interesting that you thanked the post quoted below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78278780&postcount=2974
    At least you'll be able see who the children were that posted Woy.
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Exactly. Just don't take a morale grandstand and pretend like you've never done it yourself.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100057588&postcount=523

As if further proof was needed that the feedback thread is being used for the usual point-scoring...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fullstop wrote: »
    Interesting that you thanked the post quoted below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78278780&postcount=2974

As if further proof was needed that the feedback thread is being used for the usual point-scoring...

Jesus Christ that was 7 years ago.

****e like this is what's wrong with the soccer forum. Searching through posts years old to prove a point.

Have you nothing better to do on a lovely evening?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Jesus Christ that was 7 years ago.

****e like this is what's wrong with the soccer forum. Searching through posts years old to prove a point.

Have you nothing better to do on a lovely evening?

Yeah took me all of about 10 seconds...killer alright. Yer man is having a dig at the 'other side' for using a term that he's used himself. The whole thread has just been an over and back like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah took me all of about 10 seconds...killer alright.

It shows how pretty you are that you even bothered going looking.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It shows how pretty you are that you even bothered going looking.

Oh right in the feels.

Yeah took me all of about 10 seconds...killer alright. Yer man is having a dig at the 'other side' for using a term that he's used himself. The whole thread has just been an over and back like that.
    Oh right in the feels.

You do know that 7 years ago is a long time? People tend to get smarter and have a bit more cop on. I know I certainly have.

Using an example of 7 years ago to basically say ''YEH BUT YOU SAID IT, AND NOW YOU DISAGREE, THEREFORE YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE''

Grow Up.

Considering I'm on boards 12 years, I'm sure I have different opinions 7 years ago considering I was 20 then! Ridiculous carryon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is calling A Stadium a slur?

I understand it when it comes to a person.

It's not against a stadium though, it's against the entire fanbase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Clearly pettiness and the desire to get some sort of scalp is driving a huge amount of the “feedback” provided in this thread.

I cant speak for anyone else but there is no scalp hunting from me as the powers that be have already planted their flag and to go back on anything now would leave them with a massive bloody nose. Im content to know what I know, I'm content that any of my previous concerns are well founded, I've been a marked man for quite some time and I'm content in the knowledge that attempts to build a case against me began from the moment I got access in here a few weeks ago despite doing nothing that required attention, I have PMs that back that up. You've set your stall out too and that's cool, live and let live, but dont kid yourself that the issues in this forum are as simple as a few people being on some childish revenge mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Clearly pettiness and the desire to get some sort of scalp is driving a huge amount of the “feedback” provided in this thread.

The clamouring for visible warnings is anyway. Just looking a big one-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I haven’t read the whole thread but have we many West Ham Newcastle Leeds City Everton fans contributing to the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The clamouring for visible warnings is anyway.

Indeed. Stop deleting posts and just leave the warnings there for all to see.

I know its useful for some to delete posts instead of giving warnings, but visibility is generally the better option in these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This thread is another good argument why it would be worthwhile to trial how the forum might operate without a thanks button.

The thanks button, much like other social media platforms use of 'likes', helps to facilitate an atmosphere where debating comes secondary to garnering some pats on the back. As a result, everything is reduced to a very basic us and them tribalism. It's now deeply embedded into the nature of this place with Liverpool and United fans and I think everyone knows it.

The thanks button when initially introduced presumably was a way of saying 'I agree with this view' without having to write it. Sounds a good idea. Unfortunately, the tenor of debate has dropped such that mockery it now often comes to mean, 'I agree with this ridiculing of a rival supporter'. And of course the ripple effect of this is that those who support the same team as the poster ridiculed will respond in kind, and on it goes until the amtosphere becomes toxic, and threads become poison.

People want the kudos, just like they want 'likes' or retweets on other platforms. That encourages the willy-waving that goes on. It's not surprising; it's human nature.

My take is that Boards existed before the thanks button and the soccer forum seemed to manage. See if its removal, even temporary, improves matters. Even just for a short window on match days, say Saturday-Sunday. Those who get off on the cliques might not like it, but that's surely one of the strongest arguments for trialling it.

All this talk of charters and definitions and cards etc is just window dressing imo. It addresses the symptoms of the problem rather than acknowledging the cause.

The cause of the problem is the tribalism. We either have the balls to tackle it or we don't, and if it's the latter, might as well lock the thread (which will inevitably go the way other threads like these go).

In the meantime here's a spoiler of what's to come in the months ahead:
    'We won it six times.'

'We won thirteen Premier Leagues.'

'Twice as many European Cups though.'

'Blackburn and Leicester have more Premier Leagues though.'

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

There will be plenty of thanks given for the above comments. Not too many I suspect from the mods, or the majority of forum users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

We're not allowed to use text speak on the forum, which is great, but is there anything that can be done about people using the word "of" in place of "have"? "Should of, could of"...etc etc. I know it's only a small thing in the greater scheme of things but by Christ it's annoying.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Owl. wrote: »
    We're not allowed to use text speak on the forum, which is great, but is there anything that can be done about people using the word "of" in place of "have"? "Should of, could of"...etc etc. I know it's only a small thing in the greater scheme of things but by Christ it's annoying.

Unfortunately not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thread bans should be permanent.

Permanent seems a long time..

Thread bans should be season long and not just for the club threads, act the bolln general thread etc then season long ban too, get banned after Christmas then make it year long.

People collectively reporting posts to try get people banned 'if not warranted' should be thread banned themselves.

I haven’t read the whole thread but have we many West Ham Newcastle Leeds City Everton fans contributing to the thread?

I'm one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Very strange feedback thread. You are all mental.

Is calling A Stadium a slur?

I understand it when it comes to a person.

No, it's not a slur. But, and this is the important bit, it is done\said to antagonise. And that makes it a card. Anyone who would say they post empihad for any other reason is just straight up lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That was a quick 7 days. Anyway I'm still same love to see a plan to make the place more consistent and fun and more mods so there is plenty to go around when important and busy events are happening.

Best of luck to everyone in coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

And what about the term "Woy"? I can see in the past (when he was Liverpool manager) you called Roy Hodgson "Woy" a number of times. Do you think that was childish? Do you not think its a bit pathetic mocking a man because of his speech disorder?

RoboKlopp, I guess I'm not going to get a reply from you about this? Bury your head in the sand when you're called out on hypocrisy. I know I probably seem petty here dragging this up a few times since yesterday. But its something that is close to me (as I also have a speech disorder). It p!$$es me off how oblivious some people can be to the stupidity of using terms like "Woy". Hence I thought it was something important worth discussing. I'm curious to know why you (and others no doubt) think that some "nicknames" are childish yet think its ok to mock Roy Hodgson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bans need to be permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Which bans? Any bans at all?

• Advertisement

Which bans? Any bans at all?

Thread bans mainly but I dont see the point of the slate been cleared between seasons either tbh. If serial trolls were removed for good things would obviously improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I would like to see this for re-regs who are consistently troublesome and in the thick of strife on the forum. It's been a long time since I was a mod on boards but from what I remember it's not hard to weed them out.

I would like to see that, but it would require more commitment than what I would expect of a mod (a volunteer) so I understand why it's not feasible. There's the far easier solution of posters having a bit of cop on when interacting with the dregs of the forum.

Thread bans mainly but I dont see the point of the slate been cleared between seasons either tbh. If serial trolls were removed for good things would obviously improve.

Still gunning for lloyd, eh?

My post said serial trolls. If thats what you think Lloyd is then thats your opinion.

I'm 99.9% sure he isnt the only person threadbanned currently anyway so why you picked him out is odd.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we give it a rest.

Thanks

If he was thread banned for a season, I am sure he would hardly post the same way in whatever thread he was banned from...
    Certain threads hit 10k posts in no time, season bans would make you think twice.

d22ontour wrote: »
    If he was thread banned for a season, I am sure he would hardly post the same way in whatever thread he was banned from...
    Certain threads hit 10k posts in no time, season bans would make you think twice.

I still havent seen anyone provide a good reason as to why any troll should be allowed return to a topic they have already shown themselves incapable of actually discussing. Aside from just giving the mods themselves more work to do and letting the troll troll I dont see any point in temporary bans.

I still havent seen anyone provide a good reason as to why any troll should be allowed return to a topic they have already shown themselves incapable of actually discussing. Aside from just giving the mods themselves more work to do and letting the troll troll I dont see any point in temporary bans.

Pints are probably a factor

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The length of threadbans is discretionary. They do not form part of any "formal" Boards record, and are really a slap on the wrist to cop on. They avoid the need to card (which may have a resultant forum ban) when a poster may be treading the line. However if someone comes back from a threadban and continues in the way that resulted in the threadban in the first place, they could easily find they are subject to a more formal sanction and a longer, possibly permanent, threadban

Basically it's a way of taking the heat out of a thread (typically a Superthread). The ones I have issued have been for the length of the current thread, or for the subsequent thread also. Clearly the United and Liverpool threads move much more quickly than many others. A threadban from the Rangers thread could last for years if for the duration of the thread

Discretion remains, and they could be for a set time period (month, year or whatever) as well as the length of threads. Equally posters can ask for it to be lifted and I would expect mod discretion to apply again, and maybe someone can be let back into a thread under certain conditions.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Can we give it a rest.

Thanks

I can.

When you are banned from a thread till the next one can be a few days or weeks, nine months to a year will make you think twice.It would be a lot better.

So will there be any response to any points this year or just leave it open and rolling?

There have been responses to many of the points as we've gone along

Perhaps you could compile a list of things you think require further responses?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just looking there, but excluding this one, there are five sticky threads. Just from a housekeeping point of view.

The copyright one could probably be put into the charter thread tbh (I get why it was important to drag attention to at the time, but it’s five years on now...), and the “posts/moments” only generated 9 posts all season. The off topic one could also arguably be unstickied and left to float up as needed? That one though might have been stickies for a reason? I’d personally feel it is fine being left loose, like the superthreads are.

Same with the predictions thread; can see why it maybe was stickied at the time but might be tidier to let it stay alive on its own? Maybe have a linked pasted into the mod forum somewhere, and have the mods bump it as nessecarily at the end of a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I vote for a sticky for TV coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And then a separate thread for everyone who mentions Liverpool and United fans ruining every thread, cos they’re nearly as bad at ruining threads.

And while we’re at it a separate thread for all those that ruin threads by trying to shoehorn the LoI into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

9 years on the soccer forum and I think it's running just fine, I'd like only posters of that team be able to post in the mega-team threads, give posters a haven where they can say what they want about their club without being attacked. I definitely think some insults like clown should not be carded, after a season of watching Mustafi defending calling him a clown is very light.

And just as a general comment, people need to grow up, I have been on the soccer forum for 9 years and I see the same posters crying over things they did 9 years ago, "Oh no, someone said my club wasn't good and another poster liked his post, I better go tell the mod", it really is pathetic, posters in their 30-40s crying to a mod who's probably a teenager. Get a grip guys!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oranage2 wrote: »

And just as a general comment, people need to grow up,Get a grip guys!!!

They sure do, they sure do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

They sure do, they sure do

They really, really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

People crying in here about other posters behaviour should be required to list their own disciplinary record at the end of their post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement