Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2019

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Good point. Can a mod clarify the rule around calling out a poster by their old username please?

I'm not a mod, but I'm 100% sure that the rule is if a poster changes name on an account, there is no prohibition on using the old name of their account, such as RoboKlopp was rarnes1 and Fred The Red was M1ck!. In times past, previous usernames were listed on the public profile. If this does not happen now it is because admins have gotten out of the habit of doing it I'd say.

If on the hand, someone shuts down their account (not to escape a ban) and reregs a new account, it is not permitted for there to be speculation on who their previous account was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Good point. Can a mod clarify the rule around calling out a poster by their old username please?

Boards wide, as far as I'm aware, if you change your name but use the same account then all your usernames are public anyway if you've posted under them. If you close your account and rereg then your privacy should be respected and your old account should not be made public, if someone figures it out.

6starpool. New name, not old name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    Mainly because you were banned for 1.5 threads so it's not really that bad, plus a lot of the soapboxing that had been going on previously in the threads has been cut out.

I would always think that threadbans would more be for repeat offenders, people who have showed that they continue to wind up threads over a longer duration and while they might not accumulate yellows, they could be doing various things from low level trolling to soapboxing continuously. Its tedious. Basically what I would put forward here is a system that means if you are thread banned you would be banned for at least 6 months from posting in that thread and threads of the same name and when that time is up, you need to apply and state your case to the mod team. If threadbanned again it's a permanent threadban.

You are more lenient than me.

• 5starpool wrote: »
    I'm not a mod, but I'm 100% sure that the rule is if a poster changes name on an account, there is no prohibition on using the old name of their account, such as RoboKlopp was rarnes1 and Fred The Red was M1ck!. In times past, previous usernames were listed on the public profile. If this does not happen now it is because admins have gotten out of the habit of doing it I'd say.

If on the hand, someone shuts down their account (not to escape a ban) and reregs a new account, it is not permitted for there to be speculation on who their previous account was.

I was warned specifically for referring to Roboklopp as Rarnes1 by Thanks4TheFish

<snip>

I can count numerous occasions where I was referred to by my old username this season.

I want to know why.

Mainly because you were banned for 1.5 threads so it's not really that bad, plus a lot of the soapboxing that had been going on previously in the threads has been cut out.

I would always think that threadbans would more be for repeat offenders, people who have showed that they continue to wind up threads over a longer duration and while they might not accumulate yellows, they could be doing various things from low level trolling to soapboxing continuously. Its tedious. Basically what I would put forward here is a system that means if you are thread banned you would be banned for at least 6 months from posting in that thread and threads of the same name and when that time is up, you need to apply and state your case to the mod team. If threadbanned again it's a permanent threadban.

I have no real issues with that if mods agree with you. I think time limited bans (not starting at 6 months or permanent though) is a better system than specific thread bans because of the different pace as you say.

It should perhaps be codified similar to accumulated yellows, 1 month, 3 months, 12 months, permanent (or some such) but keeping track of it would be a nightmare. Forum band and cards are stored on profiles, threadbans are not, and it's not a feature I see being added. It is an informal, imperfect system.

• This is it wrote: »
    Boards wide, as far as I'm aware, if you change your name but use the same account then all your usernames are public anyway if you've posted under them. If you close your account and rereg then your privacy should be respected and your old account should not be made public, if someone figures it out.

Cheers. Validates my point.

I was warned specifically for referring to Roboklopp as Rarnes1 by Thanks4TheFish

I can count numerous occasions where I was referred to by my old username this season.

I want to know why.

Shouldn't have been the case as far as I know, did you raise it in dispute resolution?

I want to know why.

Take it to dispute?

Against the rules in this thread

• Advertisement

• RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Take it to dispute?

Against the rules in this thread

Why so? This is the feedback thread.
    Can you point to me what rule I broke.

I want to know why.

It is my belief that thanks4thefish was incorrect in warning you for that, but my belief counts for squat unfortunately.

I believe my position to be correct, and it's worth getting some sort of Admin position. I'll start a general help desk thread about this and see what comes up.

5starpool wrote: »
    I have no real issues with that if mods agree with you. I think time limited bans (not starting at 6 months or permanent though) is a better system than specific thread bans because of the different pace as you say.

It should perhaps be codified similar to accumulated yellows, 1 month, 3 months, 12 months, permanent (or some such) but keeping track of it would be a nightmare. Forum band and cards are stored on profiles, threadbans are not, and it's not a feature I see being added. It is an informal, imperfect system.

I assume as with most moderator control platforms there is a common moderator area where the can post. It would only take a common list thread.
    Banned from United Thread
    X
    C
    V

Banned from Villa thread
    K
    F
    G

Banned from Chelsea thread
    G
    H
    Y

Etc.

Its a tracking tool used on other forums.

Dunno if boards software would accomodate this mind. But once set up its very easy to keep up.

Why so? This is the feedback thread.

For specific infractions? Don't think so but go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm sure the mods have their own forum in the back end that they could have at thread in place for this.. all they would need to do is put for example

22.6.19 5starpool United thread 1 month, expiry 22/7/19

And keep them all in one place. I'm sure they could also put a note on the users backend indicating the same. I'm sure that's would be how it's done across other fora

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Any of the "neutrals" wish to contribute? ðŸ˜

Hello, I'm Notsram.J and I follow a team from...some place far away (yes, that'll do) and I say we ban all Liverpool fans.

• Advertisement

• RoboKlopp wrote: »
    For specific infractions? Don't think so but go for it!

I simply provided clear evidence proving the exact opposite of what 5starpool described.
    And I want to know why. Fairly simple request to the moderators. Not you.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I assume as with most moderator control platforms there is a common moderator area where the can post. It would only take a common list thread.
    X
    C
    V

Banned from Villa thread
    K
    F
    G

G
    H
    Y

Etc.

Dunno if boards software would accomodate this mind. But once set up its very easy to keep up.

You are looking for a software update for thread bans?

X
    C
    V

Banned from Villa thread
    K
    F
    G

G
    H
    Y

Etc.

There's a mod forum for each forum, a specific thread could be set up for each major thread or even a single thread with a post for each major thread listing each thread ban, editing each time it's updated. The mods would be in a better position to determine the best way to implement but I think an incrementing thread ban would be a good idea, based on time not on posts.

1 month
    3 months
    6 months
    Permanent

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Why are you continuing to derail this thread after it got back on topic, are you drunk or something.

You are looking for a software for your thread bans?

I just know from another forum I work on that its an automated system that was created where a few clicks can instantly blacklist a poster from posting in topics with title "X". Aswell as feed back infractions into their record. Thats probably too advanced mind thinking about it now.

I guess just simple threads would work as well re: listing banned members. Its not as big a deal as was being made out as an excuse anyway. A literal list would suffice and if a thread banned poster "forgets" and posts in that thread then its a yellow/red card.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I simply provided clear evidence proving the exact opposite of what 5starpool described.
    And I want to know why. Fairly simple request to the moderators. Not you.

Starpool is right in their interpretation of the site rules, that shouldn't have been a card. Likely would have been lifted by a cmod had you disputed or should have been imo if you did.

Robokloop is also right though, this isn't the place for bringing up yellow cards from two years ago, you also can't post pms here(I assume those are pms between you and fish).

It doesn't support actual thread bans and would rely on posters or mods being aware of who is thread banned at any one time but a simple thread in the mod forum should be more than enough, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

This is it wrote: »
    It doesn't support actual thread bans and would rely on posters or mods being aware of who is thread banned at any one time but a simple thread in the mod forum should be more than enough, in my opinion.

There’s a poster with 8 posts in the United thread that he’s supposedly banned from.

I'm sure the mods have their own forum in the back end that they could have at thread in place for this.. all they would need to do is put for example

22.6.19 5starpool United thread 1 month, expiry 22/7/19

And keep them all in one place. I'm sure they could also put a note on the users backend indicating the same. I'm sure that's would be how it's done across other fora

They definitely used to, I've no idea if there is a soccer mod forum in use anymore. It could be done that way, but as with all informal things it could be forgotten. Someone could thread ban from their phone during any short break at work and forget to record it.

Again, I've no problem with it, but it would definitely become unwieldy after a while in a busy forum.

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Starpool is right in their interpretation of the site rules, that shouldn't have been a card. Likely would have been lifted by a cmod had you disputed.

Robokloop is also right though, this isn't the place for bringing up yellow cards from two years ago, you also can't post pms here(I assume those are pms between you and fish).

Please delete if you need to then.
    Question to you now that you are present and actually an off topic to what's being discussed.

Has the twitter links policy changed again. Aka if I post a goal captured a few moments after it goes in on Sky for arguments sake is it allowed here if it's a twitter link?

I just know from another forum I work on that its an automated system that was created where a few clicks can instantly blacklist a poster from posting in topics with title "X". Aswell as feed back infractions into their record. Thats probably too advanced mind thinking about it now.

I guess just simple threads would work as well re: listing banned members. Its not as big a deal as was being made out as an excuse anyway.

It's definitely not a bad call. Considering thread bans happen in other forums it might get traction.

There’s a poster with 8 posts in the United thread that he’s supposedly banned from.

Report it is my only suggestion I'm afraid. Boards doesn't support bans on a specific thread so if it's to remain in place it'll be a manual process.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Starpool is right in their interpretation of the site rules, that shouldn't have been a card. Likely would have been lifted by a cmod had you disputed or should have been imo if you did.

In fairness, Fred was just looking for clarification on the rule as it had been brought up a few times this year already he was just using his yellow as an example

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Please delete if you need to then.
    Question to you now that you are present and actually an off topic to what's being discussed.

Has the twitter links policy changed again. Aka if I post a goal captured a few moments after it goes in on Sky for arguments sake is it allowed here if it's a twitter link?

There is not, nor has there ever been a twitter links policy that I'm aware of.

They definitely used to, I've no idea if there is a soccer mod forum in use anymore. It could be done that way, but as with all informal things it could be forgotten. Someone could thread ban from their phone during any short break at work and forget to record it.

Again, I've no problem with it, but it would definitely become unwieldy after a while in a busy forum.

I doubt it would once the first few wums have been perma-thread banned. I'd wager a few have accumulated quite a few thread bans over the years. (Before anyone gets triggered this isn't a dig at anyone but just my belief if some can get themselves banned once they definitely will again when the get the chance).
    And once actions have consequences and thanks cant be fished for I imagine interest will wane.

• Advertisement

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is it wrote: »
    This is going well :)

I imagine it is going as expected, and I suspect we can all predict what the mods are going to do.

Let the rabble obfuscate and then shut it down, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Given that everyone generally agrees that the cards totting up process has worked successfully, codifying thread band seems a good suggestion. Assuming the mod team are willing to track it.

1 month
    3 months
    6 months
    12 months or end of following season
    Permanent

Seems good.

=============

However, it is still vital to preserve the superforums as places for all fans to be able to post. Just because an opposition fan is posting a negative take on your club does not mean they are trolling.

Hopefully codifying the system can minimise attempts to pressure mods to drive opposition fans out of the thread as everyone will know how it works.

There is not, nor has there ever been a twitter links policy that I'm aware of.

I think Twitter is ok as they themselves are the holders, it was more a copyright question when Sherlock brought in the copyright laws a couple of years back. If you are posting goals it would nearly always have to be from Twitter as I think the likes of gifs and streamables would fall under the copyright laws in Ireland. I think there was an update in one of the stickys at the top. I'll have a look

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Given that everyone generally agrees that the cards totting up process has worked successfully, codifying thread band seems a good suggestion. Assuming the mod team are willing to track it.

1 month
    3 months
    6 months
    Permanent

Seems good.

=============

However, it is still vital to preserve the superforums as places for all fans to be able to post. Just because an opposition fan is posting a negative take on you club does not mean they are trolling.

Hopefully codifying the system can minimise attempts to pressure mods to drive opposition fans out of the thread as everyone will know how it works.
    This only applies where consistency and regular participation in moderation exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Have we ever had an off topic thread in the soccer forum?

My peeve about the Liverpool Superthread is that I find there to be a certain amount or regulars, a faction if you will, that dominate the thread and post constantly, like way above the posting numbers of what I'd consider to be normal, in some cases posters posting twice as many posts as anyone else in the thread.

The problem is alot of these posts are off topic, in jokes, slagging off other teams, wink wink type posts, I have no interest in reading them, I'm in the thread to read about Liverpool related stuff and I'm sure that's the purpose of the thread, so if lads want to be friendly and have the craic and make friends with each other etc good luck to them but do it in private messages or else set up an off topic thread so that it's not clogging up the thread.

I find the thread great for getting info about Liverpool whether it's cool videos or opinions on signings or team line ups etc, the rest of it I don't like.

It would never work I know, but I'd love a post quota applied to people in each super thread, (a) You'd not have the same people dominating the thread (b) People would have to use their posts more wisely or they will run out, this would stop alot of needless unrelated posts.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

1 month
    3 months
    6 months
    Permanent

Seems good.

=============

However, it is still vital to preserve the superforums as places for all fans to be able to post. Just because an opposition fan is posting a negative take on you club does not mean they are trolling.

Seems over complicated, just card people that breach thread bans and let them get forum bans through the current totting up process. (pretty much what's done now I think).

Who?

Here or PM?

I think Twitter is ok as they themselves are the holders, it was more a copyright question when Sherlock brought in the copyright laws a couple of years back. If you are posting goals it would nearly always have to be from Twitter as I think the likes of gifs and streamables would fall under the copyright laws in Ireland. I think there was an update in one of the stickys at the top. I'll have a look

My understanding exactly.

• Advertisement

Here or PM?

Here is fine.

Here is fine.

Jpboard1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This only applies where consistency and regular participation in moderation exists.

So, because you’re unhappy with the modding of the forum, you refuse to accept that the superthreads are for all fans? Or you’re going to target opposition fans - even when it’s unfair - because it’s a way to express your dissatisfaction with the overall situation?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

1 month
    3 months
    6 months
    Permanent

Seems good.

=============

I would be against starting at 1 month anyway. Currently it seems the shortest thread ban is 3 months in the United thread. If thats the fastest moving thread at that speed then no way in hell should any punishment start at less than 3 months. 5 seems way too many chances aswell I'd be happy with 3 I guess

3 months
    6 months
    Permanent

Altho I would favour straight to permanent immediately for the record. If people cant retroll the thread is better for it and mods dont have to keep dealing with the same shít stirrers.

Edit:

And thread ban should equal a yellow aswell I think I read today a thread ban DIDN'T get a yellow for some reason.

My understanding exactly.

It does state that third party posts that infringe copyright will be removed

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057270806/1/#post91822254

But my understanding is that Twitter have an agreement with the PL and tV companies to allow

• Another item. I see Beasty and Mickeroo are present.
    Targeted PMs and genuine bad ***** creating multiple accounts and hammering posters with spoilers and abuse until they have literally had to block PMs all together.

What is being done about this? I know Beasty has been doing his best on this but still it's rampant.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just going through this thread now (been at the World Cup
    OK the cricket one
    for the past couple of days)

On the question of inconsistency I accept this, in my personal view, is the biggest issue with the forum and would be the main priority to be addressed

On claims of bias I do not accept that is the case and I have repeatedly stated so in Feedback and Help Desk threads.

I have attempted to get a bit more involved particularly given comments made by certain United fans. I will admit that other Boards priorities and some real life issues have limited my opportunities to deal with issues directly in recent times though.

I know some United fans feel as if they have been getting the rough end of the stick recently but would suggest that's pretty much the way some Liverpool fans were feeling 18+ months ago. Just to add we went through a similar "phase" with Arsenal fans a while ago. However in this forum and indeed this country United and Liverpool dominate

On the specifics of prior usernames these remain visible on user profiles although that may only be the immediately prior one. It's not against site rules to refer to prior usernames. It is against site rules to speculate over prior accounts though. Mods may become aware of such links and gre may be appropriate when considering sanctions. They should not reveal that information if it's not already in the public domain; nor should anyone else outside the dispute process.

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So, because you’re unhappy with the modding of the forum, you refuse to accept that the superthreads are for all fans? Or you’re going to target opposition fans - even when it’s unfair - because it’s a way to express your dissatisfaction with the overall situation?

These are your words. Not mine.

I have already explained when active participation in a thread exists it's much easier to see whats going on. That's why the Utd thread needs a moderator who actively participates in it.
    TBF Beasty as an admin (not a soccer mod) took it upon himself to do this and observe the Utd thread and therefore had the ability to spot the issues and ultimately rectify some of them with deserved thread bans.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What is being done about this? I know Beasty has been doing his best on this but still it's rampant.
    I'm only on mobile with limited scope to check things

We attempted to deal with situations brought to our attention. Unfortunately though if someone sets up a new account to stir things up, although they need to apply to access Soccer, we cannot disable PMs. We can deal with reported PMs but alas that's after the event

Another item. I see Beasty and Mickeroo are present.
    Targeted PMs and genuine bad ***** creating multiple accounts and hammering posters with spoilers and abuse until they have literally had to block PMs all together.

Only admins deal with/see reported pms. If I was you I'd delete pms from users I don't recognise and not open them. I presume they're burner accounts people are setting up with the intention of getting banned so I'd say there's very little the admins could do unless they give away their main account somehow.

It does state that third party posts that infringe copyright will be removed

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057270806/1/#post91822254

But my understanding is that Twitter have an agreement with the PL and tV companies to allow

Yeah the twitter ones are official and created with the purpose of being shared so stands to reason they're not against any rules.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement