Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ah lads, it's agony to read through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Have we ever had an off topic thread in the soccer forum?

My peeve about the Liverpool Superthread is that I find there to be a certain amount or regulars, a faction if you will, that dominate the thread and post constantly, like way above the posting numbers of what I'd consider to be normal, in some cases posters posting twice as many posts as anyone else in the thread.

The problem is alot of these posts are off topic, in jokes, slagging off other teams, wink wink type posts, I have no interest in reading them, I'm in the thread to read about Liverpool related stuff and I'm sure that's the purpose of the thread, so if lads want to be friendly and have the craic and make friends with each other etc good luck to them but do it in private messages or else set up an off topic thread so that it's not clogging up the thread.

I find the thread great for getting info about Liverpool whether it's cool videos or opinions on signings or team line ups etc, the rest of it I don't like.

It would never work I know, but I'd love a post quota applied to people in each super thread, (a) You'd not have the same people dominating the thread (b) People would have to use their posts more wisely or they will run out, this would stop alot of needless unrelated posts.

There is a stickied offtopic thread here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057062035/29/#post107326555

Hasn't been used in a year though

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

These are your words. Not mine.

I have already explained when active participation in a thread exists it's much easier to see whats going on. That's why the Utd thread needs a moderator who actively participates in it.
    TBF Beasty as an admin (not a soccer mod) took it upon himself to do this and observe the Utd thread and therefore had the ability to spot the issues and ultimately rectify some of them with deserved thread bans.

In terms of this, I'm pretty sure that SlickRic had said in the past that because he's involved in the Liverpool thread he tends not to do any modding on that thread itself.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jpboard1

They were carded and banned two weeks ago for breaching their thread ban.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mods are not hiding - I am reading the thread, others are no doubt. Either way, this should be an opportunity for posters to indicate how they would like the forum to be improved or what has improved in the last year - others can disagree and mods can input and it is only open a day so far.
    I imagine it is going as expected, and I suspect we can all predict what the mods are going to do.

Let the rabble obfuscate and then shut it down, right?

The policy of threadbans directly came about from last year's thread. Match discussion in superthread was formally added to the charter the year before. The jury is out on that one still from a mod viewpoint, but there have been changes and the same can be said for this one.

Feedback threads are not opened for the sake of it. We're not that masochistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I haven't posted here since receiving a ban a few months ago for supposed back seat modding in relation to a user I won't name.

A term was used that supposedly went against the charter. The process of dispute resolution got to a point where I was told that the ban could be overturned but would lead to an unwanted precedent being set. I can understand that decision to an extent and I understand that the Admins are having trouble getting people to do moderation work on this forum having had quite a lengthy wait for replies in that dispute resolution thread.
    However, my ban was lifted at the end of the month, the dispute resolution thread is still open though I haven't bothered to post in it since, in fact I haven't bothered posting on boards at all for the best part of a month, having had two OTT bans from After hours overturned I just got sick of dealing with the DRP process and after ten years on the site it seems as a whole to be getting a little too heavily policed and often not to its benefit, but I digress.

The issues being raised here about rules being applied evenly are the crux of the problems this forum faces. The term I was banned for using was used by a Liverpool fan shortly after I was banned , which I reported to see the outcome, and nothing was done.

There's the problem, moderation is something carried out on a voluntary basis, so the quality of the moderation is dependent on the motivation of the volunteer. The motivations of some of these volunteers has become quite obvious over time. And to be honest the only real solution to the problems this forum is dealing with is to find new volunteers to moderate the forum. Obviously a clean sweep across the board isn't practical and does a disservice to those doing a good job, but there is good reason to make some changes, as the charter itself isn't the issue at all, rather the interpretation and enforcement which causes the most problems.

Personally I find it hard to justify bothering with involving myself here any further. I'm in a situation where any further issues will result in a six month ban, I regret not challenging the frankly spurious earlier bans I received in light of this but that can't be undone.

I don't mind banter and slagging, it's part of being a football fan, but some people's banter seems more acceptable than others. Some places here are sacrosanct while others aren't and that does add up to a divided and unevenly run forum. The rules aren't the problem, and we can all cross lines and accept a rap on the knuckles as a result, the only safe way to use the forum at the moment is to add a number of regular posters to your ignore list just in case you say the wrong thing and end up paying the price.

Ultimately there are some individuals here who need to change their approach or give somebody else a go at enforcing the rules and until that happens the same things will happen.

As the saying goes; if you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got.

Glazers Out!

What places are sacrosanct and what places aren't?

5starpool wrote: »
    In terms of this, I'm pretty sure that SlickRic had said in the past that because he's involved in the Liverpool thread he tends not to do any modding on that thread itself.

Thats ridiculous tbf, why would he not be modding a thread he is active on the most in the SF, what does he do if he is the only mod online and a sure card comes up? Does he let it slide.

Mods are there to moderate, they should not be refraining from modding just because the post in the thread.

I like Slick, hes a fair guy and good poster but that really should not be happening

°°°°°

What places are sacrosanct and what places aren't?

I'm not going to be expanding any further on what I've said. You can PM me if you want any further clarification on this point if you wish.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Are Thread bans limited to the cycle of a Thread i.e 10k posts or are they permanent bans from ever posting in that Thread again when a new one starts after the 10k posts target is hit?

• Advertisement

• 5starpool wrote: »

Again in a civil way to you:

I can provide you evidence right now that you mention the mod where SlickRic was actively posting in the Utd thread and somehow did not see the trolling going on around him literally a post below him as he was present and Beasty had to step in hours later to sort it out.

That's the exact problem.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109986243

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm not going to be expanding any further on what I've said. You can PM me if you want any further clarification on this point if you wish.

Vague allegations are something the mods here can definitely use to improve things. I have a fair idea what you'd say anyway, so I won't pm you, but I'd be pretty sure that poster history, general inconsistent modding due to different people's take on things, and other context are far more likely actual answers than there being threads or sets of fans that are immune to things that others are harshly punished for because they aren't in the chosen set.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are Thread bans limited to the cycle of a Thread i.e 10k posts or are they permanent bans from ever posting in that Thread again when a new one starts after the 10k posts target is hit?
    They can be either but to date have been.lkmited to one or two threads (if the first is nearing it's end)

However someone who has been thread banned and came back spouting the same sort of stuff that got them thread banned in the first place are likely to then face harsher sanctions

Limited to cycle unless stayed otherwise in banning note, if the thread is at say 9500 posts it usually adds on the next one too

It's not codified - I don't see why it can't be permanent, but there should also be a lead up to a thread ban and a conversation between mod and poster with clearly set out consequences if allowed back.

A thread ban imo shouldn't be the first thing brought out or something for a first offence.

°°°°°

Vague allegations are something the mods here can definitely use to improve things. I have a fair idea what you'd say anyway, so I won't pm you, but I'd be pretty sure that poster history, general inconsistent modding due to different people's take on things, and other context are far more likely actual answers than there being threads or sets of fans that are immune to things that others are harshly punished for because they aren't in the chosen set.

If you knew the answer to the question you asked might I ask what your motivation for asking it was?
    The attitude you've displayed just now indicates precisely why I've been avoiding entering discussions here for such a length of time.

Glazers Out!

I can provide you evidence right now that you mention the mod where SlickRic was actively posting in the Utd thread and somehow did not see the trolling going on around him literally a post below him as he was present and Beasty had to step in hours later to sort it out.

A bit ****ty to call out a mod like that on here . From reading that there's no stand out breach of charter - don't fully know the background though just going by that link. My point is, what's a mod supposed to do if a post is borderline breach , and may not even have been reported.

Permanent thread bans would help the forum imo. A lot of the issues encountered are in that space.

• RoboKlopp wrote: »
    A bit ****ty to call out a mod like that on here . From reading that there's no stand out breach of charter - don't fully know the background though just going by that link. My point is, what's a mod supposed to do if a post is borderline breach , and may not even have been reported.

I responded and discussed with 5starpool as he mentioned SlickRic first thank you very much.
    Again you seem to add absolutely nothing to the discussion.
    This is the feedback thread if you have not noticed.

He made a point that the mod doesn't get involved.
    Why not? Isn't that what the mod is supposed to do?

In that case back to the original point of making a regular poster of the Utd thread with a clean record a mod. Spot the trail and not the one post in isolation you are harping too, then spot the issue quickly and sanction the poster.
    Simple. And doesn't require an admin to do the mods job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If that post is card worthy then we may all just give up

• redzerdrog wrote: »
    If that post is card worthy then we may all just give up

That's not what I said. Not the individual post. Don't deflect.

Posters telling other posters what they can and can't post with with the whole If I were you I wouldn't post xy & z is just as much back seat modding as telling someone straight out what they can and can't post.

Posters openly posting on threads by complaining that other posters post too much is also back seat modding.

These are two forms of back seat modding that I don't see addressed in threads.

In that case back to the original point of making a regular poster of the Utd thread with a clean record a mod. Spot the trail and not the one post in isolation you are harping too, then spot the issue quickly and sanction the poster.
    Simple. And doesn't require an admin to do the mods job.

I'd be all in favour of this, I'm sure we all would.

Normal mod appointments are based on they've got to be a regular poster, balanced, cool headed and a clean-ish record (depending on what it is). Any name we put forward to admins has to be someone we believe will do/get/stupidly accept the job.

That is not so easy in what has been a very very heated thread amongst regulars at times in the last year.

I also see issues where one posters has another on ignore so never engages with that poster however that doesn't stop the poster who is on ignore continually engaging with the poster knowing they won't be engaged with and this disrupts the thread as well.

Posters telling other posters what they can and can't post with with the whole If I were you I wouldn't post xy & z is just as much back seat modding as telling someone straight out what they can and can't post.

Posters openly posting on threads by complaining that other posters post too much is also back seat modding.

These are two forms of back seat modding that I don't see addressed in threads.

Id imagine they would fall into the back seat modding bucket alright.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fred that link shows literally nothing of note. Just because a mod is posting doesn't mean they're in a position to mod or even paying much attention to what's happening on the the thread they're posting in. Believe it or not sometimes they're even interacting with other human beings or as Slick was there actually watching football. Sometimes they might even be doing both at the same time.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Fred that link shows literally nothing of note. Just because a mod is posting doesn't mean they're in a position to mod or even paying much attention to what's happening on the the thread they're posting in. Believe it or not sometimes we're even interacting with other human beings or as Slick was there actually watching football. Sometimes we might even be doing both at the same time.

Exactly. It's unfair tbh.

Beasty banned him from the thread for it for constant low level trolling after following it. So no issues then?

So?

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    So?

So you missed the point?

So you missed the point?

Nope.

• Advertisement

• dfx- wrote: »
    I'd be all in favour of this, I'm sure we all would.

Normal mod appointments are based on they've got to be a regular poster, balanced, cool headed and a clean-ish record (depending on what it is). Any name we put forward to admins has to be someone we believe will do/get/stupidly accept the job.

That is not so easy in what has been a very very heated thread amongst regulars at times in the last year.

Think the mod team need to look directly at cards.
    I would vote for posters like beno619, adox, micksjaguer , astradave, Headshot, Adamocovic, Necro, v3ttel, Cookiemunster, bucketybuck, Drumpot ect

I cant remember ever seeing them banned and there are loads more I'd suspect.

Nope.

Do I reply yep?

Do I reply yep?

Do you have anything constructive to add? I don't believe I mentioned Lloyd's trolling in my post.

Do you have anything constructive to add? I don't believe I mentioned Lloyd's trolling in my post.

I'm not going to repeat my original point about posts in isolation as opposed to posts individually and how they are treated.
    Do you have anything constructive to add?

Here is a repeat of the crux of my points;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504131&postcount=248

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504295&postcount=262

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504353&postcount=270

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504364&postcount=272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

astradave wrote: »
    I think Twitter is ok as they themselves are the holders, it was more a copyright question when Sherlock brought in the copyright laws a couple of years back. If you are posting goals it would nearly always have to be from Twitter as I think the likes of gifs and streamables would fall under the copyright laws in Ireland. I think there was an update in one of the stickys at the top. I'll have a look

Can’t see why posting from official twitter accounts like sky football, sky sports, BT sports or UEFA could be bad

I'm not going to repeat my original point about posts in isolation as opposed to posts individually and how they are treated.
    Do you have anything constructive to add?

Here is a repeat of the crux of my points;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504131&postcount=248

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504295&postcount=262

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504353&postcount=270

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110504364&postcount=272

I was only responding to the second one of those posts(should have quoted it, my bad) . Have nothing to say about the others.

I was only responding to the second one of those posts(should have quoted it, my bad) . Have nothing to say about the others.

No bother. I have nothing more to add beyond what I have already said.

Most people in opposition to current feedback are failing to quote post and just posting random comments essentially, if ye have problems with feedback engage by quoting the posts you have problems with.

If not its just lazy weird tribalism, which adds nothing to the thread,

Bar points scoring has anyone read the charter in a while, as this needs to go or else eveyone needs to be carded.

SCORES & SPOILERS: No posting of any scores in the thread subject lines. Such posts will be deleted as soon as they are seen. Remember some people still record matches to watch later. Also please user a spoiler tag to indicate the thread contains scores
    . Observe the same rule for score updates in unrelated match threads. See below for details.
    Fix the charter mods

Having an up to date charter might help things.

And finding a way to deal with super trolls might help, having mods for trouble threads will help even if they can only action the threads they are assigned to.
    If the software doesnt allow then a mod rule will do.

And if mods sanction outside there remit, take mod status away,

Its very easy to fix the **** that is going on, but there needs to be some willingness to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Classic head in the sand stuff! It’s laughable! Fair play to dfx the only “mod” coming in and fighting his cornor! I’d say all the other mods just missed this thread! It happens sure but let’s carry on as there’s nothing to see here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Think the mod team need to look directly at cards.
    I would vote for posters like beno619, adox, micksjaguer , astradave, Headshot, Adamocovic, Necro, v3ttel, Cookiemunster, bucketybuck, Drumpot ect

I cant remember ever seeing them banned and there are loads more I'd suspect.

Drumpot would be a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’ve never spoken for the mods. Users are perfectly entitled to their views on how the forum is modded though, and entitled to find unfounded with-hunting of specific mods and posters distasteful.

If you find it distasteful you should keep it to yourself, feedback was for the mods not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

A good few posters here giving out about posters going into the utd thread and wumming and derailing it on purpose but they should practise what they preach. The new General Premier League thread was set up by citytillidie and a few posters couldn't resist throwing a few digs

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110247716&postcount=15

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110247785&postcount=16

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110247966&postcount=19

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110248037&postcount=21

Look it happens on both threads and should be stamped out but I think its a bit ironic some posters crying foul when both sides are at it. As some one suggested there should definitely be a Utd moderator and I see a few posters have made suggestions already. Maybe one of those better posters should be approached to see would they become a mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

A utd mod voted for by the major threads?

Jayo26 would be my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Any of the "neutrals" wish to contribute? ðŸ˜

I don't give a fiddlers about United or Liverpool. I used to enjoy their matches as a neutral but the rise of social media and group chats etc has really spoiled elements of it for me. I wouldn't dream of getting involved in a thread involving either side nowadays. It's just toxic. Wouldn't mind if it was funny or witty but it rarely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the Utd fans genuinely believe there's an issue and should be allowed vote in their own mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Also, that poster who does the

COSTTTAAAAAA
    RAMMMMOOSSSSSS
    DE BRUYNNNNEEE
    FALCAAAAAOOOO

gimmick anytime a goal is scored needs to be permabanned effective immediately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Think the mod team need to look directly at cards. I would vote for posters like beno619, adox, micksjaguer , astradave, Headshot, Adamocovic, Necro, v3ttel, Cookiemunster, bucketybuck, Drumpot ect

Haha, thanks for the namedrop Fred but I'm disqualified on the grounds of
    I'm an Arsenal fan

It definitely should be considered though, I see the merits in having someone in tune with each of the main super threads being part of the team.

In all fairness to Beasty while there has been a marked improvement in the thread since he started actively modding it he's also got other admin stuff that is probably as if not more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A good few posters here giving out about posters going into the utd thread and wumming and derailing it on purpose but they should practise what they preach. The new General Premier League thread was set up by citytillidie and a few posters couldn't resist throwing a few digs

Look it happens on both threads and should be stamped out but I think its a bit ironic some posters crying foul when both sides are at it. As some one suggested there should definitely be a Utd moderator and I see a few posters have made suggestions already. Maybe one of those better posters should be approached to see would they become a mod

I dont get at least 2 of those supposed "digs". Maybe people just need to be less sensitive no more than crying "witch hunt" whenever a question is asked? If people just get offended over everything then discussion becomes impossible.

Plus as you say later (but as usual dont give examples of) theres also digs already by Pool fans in the same thread.

This isn't surprising to anyone in the forum surely.

That's literally the same thing the same people are complaining about. :o

Feedback for the mods - forum wide clampdown on this. Not just on the threads being shouted about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    This isn't surprising to anyone in the forum surely.

That's literally the same thing the same people are complaining about. :o

Feedback for the mods - forum wide clampdown on this. Not just on the threads being shouted about.

Side note thanks for fixing your previously damaged quote. If someone had quoted it before your edit it would be awful. Plenty dont bother and its awful.

Thank You.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement