Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I build this cheaper than they sell it for?

Options
  • 21-06-2019 8:21pm

Hi guys, I'mready to pull the trigger now, and found a build I quite like with fierce PC.

Price is £738 including shipping, after finding a 5% off coupon. It is to serve as a gaming rig and HTPC

My question is - can I buy the components cheaper and build myself? I went on https://pcpartpicker.com/ but couldn't replicate all the components, and my closest match seemed to be a little more expensive.

Also open to any tweaks to improve the build.

Secondary question - will this or this 4k tv be utterly useless for gaming because of input lag or other issues?

PC Cases
    1 x CiT Blaze Gaming Chassis 6 x Single Ring Fan Blue Tempered Glass
    Additional Fans
    1 x 120mm White LED Case Fan
    Processor
    1 x AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Hex-Core CPU (Get The Division 2 Gold Edition AND World War Z FREE!)
    Cooling
    1 x Stock Cooler
    Graphics Card
    1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Graphics Card
    Memory/RAM
    1 x 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz DDR4 Memory (2 x 8GB)
    Hard Drives
    1 x 480GB Solid State Drive
    Motherboard
    1 x ASUS PRIME A320M-E ATX Motherboard (GRIP: Combat Racing game included)
    Power Supply
    1 x Fierce PC 550W Power Supply

Comments

I put this spec together on Amazon. Comes in at €775 delivered. Any comments?

Switching Power Supply PSU 550W ATX with 12cm Silent Red Fan / for PC Computer / iCHOOSE
    £29.99

ASUS AMD PRIME A320M-K Ryzen/7th Generation A-Series/Athlon DDR4 GB LAN Micro ATX Motherboard - Black
    £49.47

SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Up to 535 MB/s
    £51.99

Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black
    £69.09

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
    £249.97

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler - YD260XBCAFBOX a gift Learn more
    £169.96

CiT Dark Soul Black Midi Case with 1 x12 cm Blue 4 LED Rear Fan and Side Window Panel - Black
    £34.33

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

I put this spec together on Amazon. Comes in at €775 delivered. Any comments?

Switching Power Supply PSU 550W ATX with 12cm Silent Red Fan / for PC Computer / iCHOOSE
    £29.99

ASUS AMD PRIME A320M-K Ryzen/7th Generation A-Series/Athlon DDR4 GB LAN Micro ATX Motherboard - Black
    £49.47

£51.99

Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black
    £69.09

£249.97

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler - YD260XBCAFBOX a gift Learn more
    £169.96

CiT Dark Soul Black Midi Case with 1 x12 cm Blue 4 LED Rear Fan and Side Window Panel - Black
    £34.33

From the little that I know, I’d buy the 2700 instead of the 2700x and gat a better motherboard with the difference. This would allow you to overclock easily up to the performance of the 2700x. Also, maybe a BeQuiet or Corsair PSU?

You can get an MSI RX 580 8GB for £170.

Thanks for that. Changed out thoe suggested components:
    Gigabyte B450M GAMING (Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX)
    £71.99
    Corsair VS550 550 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Unit - Black
    £39.99
    MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Memory DVI/DP/HDMI PCI Express 3 Graphics Card -
    £169.48

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Do not get that iChoose PSU or the A320 motherboard.

Utter junk that shouldn't be allowed for sale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's genuinely hard to beat the value of some pre-build options at the moment, AWD-IT have some amazing deals. In a lot of cases they're trying to probably clear an excess of stock.

Obviously building yourself gives you far more flexibility in choosing exactly what you want in terms of case design and brand choice of components.

Component wise, all is fine except the PSU - get a decent brand, it's the last thing you want to cheap out on. At a minimum, an EVGA or Corsair 'budget' £35 will be OK.

I would recommend a B450M motherboard instead of A320M as that will be compatible with Ryzen 2 processors coming very soon, and have better options in terms of ram banks, expansion slots, etc.

If you're not overclocking (and you wouldn't have been on a A320M anyway) the 2600X is a solid choice.

The 1660Ti is also a good choice, the RX580 is a lot cheaper as pointed out above but also way slower. They are different performance classes entirely.

• Advertisement

Just saw your updated post now. B450M + Corsair VS550 are grand, but don't downgrade to an RX580 unless you're actively trying to save money.

The GTX1660Ti is way faster. The comparable AMD card is Vega 56, costs around the same as the 1660Ti but uses considerably more power.

The RX580 is a different tier altogether.

Thanks for that - I thought the 1660TI was better alright. Appreciate the pointers.

Will I need to buy SATA cables, or any other wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

It's genuinely hard to beat the value of some pre-build options at the moment, AWD-IT have some amazing deals. In a lot of cases they're trying to probably clear an excess of stock.

Obviously building yourself gives you far more flexibility in choosing exactly what you want in terms of case design and brand choice of components.

Component wise, all is fine except the PSU - get a decent brand, it's the last thing you want to cheap out on. At a minimum, an EVGA or Corsair 'budget' £35 will be OK.

I would recommend a B450M motherboard instead of A320M as that will be compatible with Ryzen 2 processors coming very soon, and have better options in terms of ram banks, expansion slots, etc.

If you're not overclocking (and you wouldn't have been on a A320M anyway) the 2600X is a solid choice.

The 1660Ti is also a good choice, the RX580 is a lot cheaper as pointed out above but also way slower. They are different performance classes entirely.

Thanks for the clarification on the graphics card.

No, your motherboard will come with cables. You could also get an M2 SSD drive rather than a SATA one. It plugs directly into the M2 slot on the motherboard, no external power or data cables required.

Possibly a little more expensive but much tidier. Just do a bit of browsing on the various models.

Cheaper brands/models will have slower write/read speeds versus better/more expensive variants. Same is true of a normal SATA SSD of course, though even the 'slowest' is a huge upgrade on a normal hard drive.

EG the Sandisk you've chosen is on the slower end, but still perfectly fine and very fast relatively speaking. I actually think I've the exact one in my PC at the moment.

No, your motherboard will come with cables. You could also get an M2 SSD drive rather than a SATA one. It plugs directly into the M2 slot on the motherboard, no external power or data cables required.

Possibly a little more expensive but much tidier. Just do a bit of browsing on the various models.

Cheaper brands/models will have slower write/read speeds versus better/more expensive variants. Same is true of a normal SATA SSD of course, though even the 'slowest' is a huge upgrade on a normal hard drive.

EG the Sandisk you've chosen is on the slower end, but still perfectly fine and very fast relatively speaking. I actually think I've the exact one in my PC at the moment.

Lol - I have the same SSD in my laptop. I pulled out the optical drive and found a caddy to make it fit, and it completely rejuvenated my 3 year old i7 machine. I think it's good enough for me. I'll add a 4tb mechanical drive later and maybe finally play some of the 400 odd titles in my Steam library.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the advice on the build. Very happy with the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still ruling the roost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

Build looks good, what did you end up going with?

I would say unless you are going for a high end expensive build ignore m2 drives. A standard value ssd like one of the SanDisk that are always on sale on amazon will do the job just fine and allow you to spend a bit on the core hardware. The jump from HDD to SSD is huge, from there to M2 its nowhere near the same apart for very heavy usage and transfers.

djan wrote: »
    Build looks good, what did you end up going with?

I would say unless you are going for a high end expensive build ignore m2 drives. A standard value ssd like one of the SanDisk that are always on sale on amazon will do the job just fine and allow you to spend a bit on the core hardware. The jump from HDD to SSD is huge, from there to M2 its nowhere near the same apart for very heavy usage and transfers.

Ended up with

£71.99
    £39.99
    £51.99
    £69.09
    £249.97
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with stock cooler
    8Gb Seagate Barracuda extracted from the external drive posted on bargain alerts lately.

Paired the above with a Hisense 4k 55" and a Logitech G29. Very, very happy!

£34.33

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ended up with

£71.99
    £39.99
    £51.99
    £69.09
    £249.97
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with stock cooler
    8Gb Seagate Barracuda extracted from the external drive posted on bargain alerts lately.

Paired the above with a Hisense 4k 55" and a Logitech G29. Very, very happy!

£34.33

Why pair with a 4K TV and not a monitor? Your going to be limited to lower FPS.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why pair with a 4K TV and not a monitor? Your going to be limited to lower FPS.

The Hisense isn't bad for gaming at all IMO. It has pretty low latency and a gaming mode. While it's still a novelty, I find gaming to be very immersive on the big screen. It also doubles as a telly with an android TV box and chromecast using the other 2 HDMIs.

Tnly oddity so far is the TV won't show higher than 1920 resolution. Screen just goes black. Both the GTX 1660 ti and TV have HDMI 2, and drivers are all up to date, so not sure what's up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Hisense isn't bad for gaming at all IMO. It has pretty low latency and a gaming mode. While it's still a novelty, I find gaming to be very immersive on the big screen. It also doubles as a telly with an android TV box and chromecast using the other 2 HDMIs.

Tnly oddity so far is the TV won't show higher than 1920 resolution. Screen just goes black. Both the GTX 1660 ti and TV have HDMI 2, and drivers are all up to date, so not sure what's up there.

I have one for my One X. But your 1660Ti should be able to push out more than 60FPS but the TV won't be able to go past 60.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I have one for my One X. But your 1660Ti should be able to push out more than 60FPS but the TV won't be able to go past 60.

60 will do me fine :)

Advertisement