Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local election candidate advising tenant to overstay

Options
  • 21-06-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I am returning from Australia and have advised my tenant that I will need her to move out so that myself and my family can live in the house. The proper notice has been given and we have a good relationship with the tenant so although it is not ideal for her she has promised to move out when we need to move in.

During the local election campaign she had a visit from one of the local candidates and the topic came up about accommodation and her situation and the lack of rental properties in the area. The candidate advised her on a few different options. One was to go on the homeless list and another was to just stay in the property. After hearing this my tenant told him that she couldn't do that to a family with 2 young kids and told him never to darken the door or the house ever again.
    I actually don't know which candidate this was or if he got elected but surely this shouldn't be seen as a solution he should be throwing out to voters during an election campaign.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Welcome home, your tenants have more rights than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Dav010 wrote: »
    Welcome home, your tenants have more rights than you do.

That does seem to be the case. I just can't believe that someone who is trying to drum up support in a local election would offer this sort of advice rather than offer to push for something constructive(and legal) to be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

seems to be the consensus advice offered to people due to have their lease expire. takes so long to get the person out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

daheff wrote: »
    seems to be the consensus advice offered to people due to have their lease expire. takes so long to get the person out.

Tenants whose fixed term lease is set to expire have every right to remain in the property, assuming said lease was longer than six months. Tenants who have been served valid notice for an allowable reason under Part 4, though, not so much... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

dennyk wrote: »
    Tenants whose fixed term lease is set to expire have every right to remain in the property, assuming said lease was longer than six months. Tenants who have been served valid notice for an allowable reason under Part 4, though, not so much... :pac:

She's been there for 4 years. She's moving out at the end of the part 4 tenancy period. She also has no intention of overstaying or being difficult about it. That is not what this thread is about. It's about a politician giving this sort of advice rather than trying to push for a constructive solution to problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

aido79 wrote: »
    She's been there for 4 years. She's moving out at the end of the part 4 tenancy period. She also has no intention of overstaying or being difficult about it. That is not what this thread is about. It's about a politician giving this sort of advice rather than trying to push for a constructive solution to problems.

Not just politicians do this. The council and threshold will also advise a tenant to overhold. It doesn't seem there are any consequences for them in giving this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not just politicians do this. The council and threshold will also advise a tenant to overhold. It doesn't seem there are any consequences for them in giving this advice.

Precisely this. Replace local election candidate with priest/shopkeeper /hairdresser /taxi driver /neighbour/friend. It all means the same. Anyone can run in the locals, their advice carries no more weight than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

aido79 wrote: »
    That does seem to be the case. I just can't believe that someone who is trying to drum up support in a local election would offer this sort of advice rather than offer to push for something constructive(and legal) to be done about it.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people in Irish politics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

dennyk wrote: »

i didnt say anything about rights or wrongs on this, but this is the advice being given to people facing eviction & homelessness. stay put until the courts force you out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ironically- if your tenant obeys her obligations under the Residential Tenancy Act- and vacates the property so you can move back in, she cannot simply go to the local authority and seek alternate accommodation as she will be viewed to have surrendered the property she was in, and made herself voluntarily homeless. Its a nutty situation with no winners- the only people who it suits are the local authority (and national politicians).

• Advertisement
Advertisement