Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a previously cat c

Options
  • 22-06-2019 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Is there any insurance loading or excess charges on insuring a previously written off vehicle?
    Vehicle in question is currently tested etc.
    It's a UK import if that makes any difference.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I think they may get concerned alright. Best bet is to ring around. You will probably find they differ from each other in their stance on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

kay 9 wrote: »
    Is there any insurance loading or excess charges on insuring a previously written off vehicle?
    Vehicle in question is currently tested etc.
    It's a UK import if that makes any difference.
    Thanks.

Some will insure some won’t and others will once you’ve got an engineers report which costs about €200..... I’d recommend www.carinspectionsireland.ie as they’re highly reputable and respected within insurance industry

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

It's not a question on most insurers proposal forms

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not sure that matters tbh. If it's a material fact (I'd imagine it is) it must be disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

actuar90 wrote: »
    It's not a question on most insurers proposal forms

When you give them the reg they do their own checks, it’s rarely a question of declaring it or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

There are no such thing as voluntary disclosures for insurance. If they don't ask for it/come up in their reg checks then it isn't information they use in pricing the policy.

I know from experience that many insurers either don't care about cat d/c or don't do checks for that.

I know I've gotten quotes from Aviva, aig and first Ireland for a cat d car, no problems whatsoever

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

actuar90 wrote:
    There are no such thing as voluntary disclosures for insurance.....

That isn't correct at all.

There is infact an obligation for the proposer to disclose any material fact that might affect the underwriting of the risk.

It doesn't matter if the insurers specifically ask for something or not.

It's called the uberrima fides principle.

Advertisement