Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir F2000 router help

• 22-06-2019 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have the standard Eir F2000 router that came with my internet. Latley I have noticed the following, devices just disconnect from the wifi, my smart speaker (google home mini/hub) says it cannot see any network, other weird things - in all cases a reboot of the router fixes the issue till next time.

Anyone else have issues? Know the cause? The only slightly unusual thing I have is a security camera over wifi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

F2000 is known for having an aweful lot of issues. Cut your losses and buy a netgear or lynksys router for yourself. I got the Nighthawk 1900, cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

F2000 is known for having an aweful lot of issues. Cut your losses and buy a netgear or lynksys router for yourself. I got the Nighthawk 1900, cant go wrong.

I'd be more than happy to buy a router, but honestly I have zero clue:
    • heard that routers might not work with companies, might be an issue if/when I switch
    • I have a modem router? Do I need to buy both a modem and a router etc?
    • Basically im clueless , happy to spend money for quality but afraid to risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

3rd party products such as netgear nighthawk will work with your ISP, just need to enter in specific gateway details to work.

As above they will cover modem/router functionality, are alot more secure and have more features for configuration.

The following link you can read up on what product may suit your needs.

https://www.bestnetworkinghardware.com/best-home-routers/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dubdad25

It’s crazy to think that eir use smoke n mirrors saying how great the modem is but in reality it can only connect 16 2.4 and 16 5 ghz at once. Kicking off Xbox and phones at will. Most homes would have at least 16 connections from music, sky,soundbars, radio, phones, cameras etc. why only 16. That’s not modern living at all. Going to have to buy a suitable router because this f2000 is dog dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dubdad25 wrote: »
    It’s crazy to think that eir use smoke n mirrors saying how great the modem is but in reality it can only connect 16 2.4 and 16 5 ghz at once. Kicking off Xbox and phones at will. Most homes would have at least 16 connections from music, sky,soundbars, radio, phones, cameras etc. why only 16. That’s not modern living at all. Going to have to buy a suitable router because this f2000 is dog dirt.

The limitations on connections is a real downer .... has messed up my LAN several times.
    There are no fine controls over allocation of addresses for many devices .... I hit the limit quite often and then have to delete some device.

It is as bad, if not worse, for VOIP use.

All in all a really bad product.

The latest that happened was several people unable to make a connection and I cleared 'space' on the list which did not fix it.

Turned out a setting had changed so that only specified devices could connect, even to the guest wifi !!

As soon as my contract ends I will be moving and then decide what router to get.

Presently I have a second router attached to the F2000 with open wifi for guests ..... yes double NAT but no problem for guest use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Dubdad25

Couldn’t you just use a netgear dual gigabit through the dog dirt f2000? I think the F in that router is the times that I cursed at it. Mine should be called the f5000000
    I’m looking into buying a router to solve this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Hello,

I am using dnsmasq in my local lan. I set up a plain hostname: mymovies to map to the ip address of a raspberry pi on the lan that is running a web server. This is so I can have a little website that only works inside my lan and I can get to from a browser with --> http://mymovies

I have these two lines in my /etc/dnsmasq.conf

address=/mymovies/192.168.1.124
    address=/mymovies.ncp/192.168.1.124

Dnsmasq is running on the Pi. Also on the same LAN is my Win 7 laptop. When I make this request from Chrome on the laptop… http://mymovies this is what I get in the dnsmasq log file:

Oct 21 23:38:12 dnsmasq[19823]: query[A] mymovies.home from XX.XX.XXX.XXX
    Oct 21 23:38:12 dnsmasq[19823]: config mymovies.home is 192.168.1.124

XX.XX.XXX.XXX is the external ip address of the Eir F2000 router.

However when I make this request from Chrome http://mymovies.ncp this is what I get in the dnsmasq log file:

Oct 21 23:41:54 dnsmasq[19823]: query[A] mymovies.ncp from XX.XX.XXX.XXX
    Oct 21 23:41:54 dnsmasq[19823]: config mymovies.ncp is 192.168.1.124

I am wondering why is .home appended to a hostname, as seen in the dnsmasq log output, when the hostname is just a plain simple word without any domain or tld?

I think it might be the Eir router because I notice there is a page in its setup that allows you to access it from http://mymodem.home

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Flex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

At a guess it's maybe because mymovies does not have a tld. Try giving it a random tld like .flexmcmurphy to test!

Did you read my post..

I tried the hostnames: mymovies and mymovies.ncp

When I use the hostname http://mymovies.ncp that appears as mymovies.ncp in the log... no .home is appended.

I can see that .home gets appended when the hostname has no tld but why does this happen and what is doing it? Does it maybe have something to do with the Eir F2000 router.

Any help much appreciated.

Flex

A few people got back to me on a dnsmasq forum...

It's a bit over my head but my Windows laptop is part of a "home" domain. This can be seen by running the command: ipconfig /all and "home" is a DNS suffix.

Seemingly Windows appends the .home suffix on bare-hostname lookups (e.g: "mymovies"] because it was told by its DHCP server that it is part of the .home DNS domain.

Well now I can sleep easy.

Flex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Did you read my post..

I tried the hostnames: mymovies and mymovies.ncp

When I use the hostname http://mymovies.ncp that appears as mymovies.ncp in the log... no .home is appended.

I can see that .home gets appended when the hostname has no tld but why does this happen and what is doing it? Does it maybe have something to do with the Eir F2000 router.

Any help much appreciated.

Flex

Jesus, sorry for trying to be helpful. Even hear of bookmarking an IP address if it's over your head.

I need to use hostnames instead of an ip address because I want a few LAN only websites all accessible from the same ip address where is located a webserver.

This solution lets each site have its own apache document root.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JMNC1972

Does anyone have any experience with eir's new router that they are sending out instead of the crappy F2000?
    I was planning on buying a 3rd party replacement but if the new one is any good I might get them to send me out one.

Probably everyone should use a router you can put a VPN on. I doubt Eir will provide such a model though.

But, out of interest, what do you think is so crappy about the F2000? Mine has never given me problems.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JMNC1972

I just find overall its unreliable. One minute I have speeds of 70mb/s and the next its 10mb/s. Its coverage is very poor and it can only support 16 devices and with a household of 6 people including 3 teenagers that's just not enough.
    I am signed up to 300mb/s fibre but never get a sniff of those speeds.
    I had Sky in a previous home that was a constant 80mb/s and found it great.
    I had to go with eir for the setup and install of fibre but roll on the next 10 months of the contract so I can go back to Sky.

I see. Your needs are far greater than my own then. I'd say you should look at a third party modem/router with better wifi range, beam forming etc and support more concurrent users.

Other thing is your line might just not be great. I never had fiber to the home myself if that's what you have but check the line attenuation from your Eir F2000 home page in "Maintain" section and you could ask an Eir engineer to tweak it for you. I did that and they boosted the download speed for me too.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

JMNC1972 wrote: »
    I just find overall its unreliable. One minute I have speeds of 70mb/s and the next its 10mb/s. Its coverage is very poor and it can only support 16 devices and with a household of 6 people including 3 teenagers that's just not enough.
    I am signed up to 300mb/s fibre but never get a sniff of those speeds.
    I had Sky in a previous home that was a constant 80mb/s and found it great.
    I had to go with eir for the setup and install of fibre but roll on the next 10 months of the contract so I can go back to Sky.

wE ARE PAYING IN EXCESS OF 78 EURO A MONTH! with Eir and I just done a speed test last night and just now and its 10mb which is crap - I rang Digiweb today and switching to them from next week signed up and they are sending out modem and its 100mb - Eir its like they are limited the speeds and hope people dont notice.

Sounds like your problem is certainly with your line.

If Digiweb have to use that same line to provide your internet service then you'll probably have the same problem with them.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

Sounds like your problem is certainly with your line.

If Digiweb have to use that same line to provide your internet service then you'll probably have the same problem with them.

Flex

No when you ring EIR they fix it and then it goes after 4 months or so - its all pretend basically - we have a direct line just for internet - the box is outside our house for the whole estate. Im not the only one it seems with speed issues and eir when you google on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JMNC1972 wrote: »

Why was that? Most people can just go with the provider of their choosing unless they are in contract.

I'd recommend everyone goes with their own WIFI solution, plug your own access point/points into the provided router.
    These cheap combo WIFI routers most IPS's provide were never designed for houses with thick walls and work better in small apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 p15353

3rd party products such as netgear nighthawk will work with your ISP, just need to enter in specific gateway details to work.

As above they will cover modem/router functionality, are alot more secure and have more features for configuration.

The following link you can read up on what product may suit your needs.

https://www.bestnetworkinghardware.com/best-home-routers/

Hi there

Does anyone know if a replacement for the F200o eir FTTH router will work with Eir VOIP? I heard Eir don't/won't give out the settings needed for their VOIP?

Thanks

Declan

Advertisement