Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate veggie garden

Options
  • 22-06-2019 8:43am

Hi I am searching or looking for ideas on the best veg to grow month to month in Ireland. Also looking for ideas on what to plant for the best salads, got a rocket plant that is large but the taste is not good. Growing spring onions, normal onions, red onions, lettuce,beetroot, carrots, turnip and broccoli but probably have it all wrong

What plants are good to grow into the winter, is cabbage and Brussel sprouts good up to xmas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we planted purple sprouting broccoli last year and harvested it this year, until they succumbed.

Have a look at "allotment planting guide" - there are loads of calendars for the year out there advising when to plant and when to harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It will depend on where you are. Here in West Kerry, "Perpetual Spinach" which is actually a chard, does well year-round, but 'well' means, you'll get some growth during the winter and if you're judicious be able to have some garden vegetables in December and January. Plants I put in last year were pickable all winter and have roared back this spring, though are going to seed now.

The thicker-leaved kales like the green curly kale do o.k. then, too. But, it's cold, dark and damp all winter long and temperatures go down to freezing once in a while. More common kales like nero/lacinato die when it gets too cold.

A polytunnel or glass house of course change things, you might get more vegetables to be available for harvesting then.

Might want to look into historical weather data for your area, daily temperatures, moisture, wind, to help decide. Also, don't underestimate how much room you need. To feed a person a decent helping of vegetables a day during the winter would require a lot of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    Hi I am searching or looking for ideas on the best veg to grow month to month in Ireland. Also looking for ideas on what to plant for the best salads, got a rocket plant that is large but the taste is not good. Growing spring onions, normal onions, red onions, lettuce,beetroot, carrots, turnip and broccoli but probably have it all wrong

What plants are good to grow into the winter, is cabbage and Brussel sprouts good up to xmas?

I think you can get Brussels sprouts and cabbage to be good to harvest in December. Here is a link to a harvesting calendar from bord bia that could give you some idea what else might be good for that time of year. Another good crop for harvest anytime through winter is Jerusalem artichoke which is said to taste better after some frost. I also found chard and kale variety red Russian did well in winter where I had them growing on a south facing slope in county Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

This is a really useful site https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/
    On the left hand menu is "Your Veg Calendar" which you can tailor for what you want to grow and your location so that sowing dates etc will be adjusted for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement