Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAMS Fencing grant

• 22-06-2019 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Apologies if this is already on here but just have a few questions for anyone who has been sucssful with their fencing grant application.
    How did you work out costs, just use the reference €5.34/m or do I need to get a quote for materials or contractor cost?
    Was anyone unsucessful or did anyone find it not worth the hastle?
    Can I do all the work myself and is their an allowance for labour?
    I have 1200m to do with a few gateways, if I used clipex for some, would i have to use clipex for all or could i use wooden strainers and clipex in between?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

No need for quotations. If you put fence in for lower than reference cost you have better chance of getting grant if over subscribed

You can claim for your own labor and get paid for it. This is where it makes it worthwhile imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

I put in an application a few years back. 6 months went by and I had to get the fencing done as the sheep were constantly getting out. A year later they contacted me to do the pre works inspection. I had to cancel the application at that point.

Best advice would be to put in an application for fencing that you know you have to do in a year's time, not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

razor8 wrote: »
    No need for quotations. If you put fence in for lower than reference cost you have better chance of getting grant if over subscribed

You can claim for your own labor and get paid for it. This is where it makes it worthwhile imo

If your up to the full reference cost with the fence can you still claim for own labour?

It’s up to the reference cost or your own cost whichever is lower

Eg if the reference cost is €5000 and you put in that it would cost €4000. You only get paid to €4000

My estimates are
    100m roll wire @€;105
    100m of posts spaced at 4m @€;7 per creosote post = €180
    Labour for 100m = €150
    Barb wire €35 per 200m = €17.50 per 100m

Total €452.50 then depends how many Stainers. For every strainer deduct a €7 post

So €4.50 per m. Dunno how you would spend up to the reference costs on just materials??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

I just put in my application there.

Am I right in thinking that you are now paid the full reference cost?

As far as I remember a few years ago you would only get paid 40% or so?

• Advertisement

no. still the only get the 40%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Is this open now again? Is there a closing date?

Also - anyone know if the area you are planning to fence has to be an area declared on your BPS application?
    (I have some ground let on a long term lease, but I'd like to keep it fenced properly. So its not on my BPS application, but is my ground)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Question
    I want to keep a few sheep on an outside farm. I need to fence the place properly first. Do I need to have sheep to apply for the grant or can I do the fencing first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Question
    I want to keep a few sheep on an outside farm. I need to fence the place properly first. Do I need to have sheep to apply for the grant or can I do the fencing first?

ya they clarified that fairly quickly at the start of the TAMS

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

Any one have an idea of once the receipts etc are paid, how long to get the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sandman30

Hi Folks,
    Apologies if this is already on here but just have a few questions for anyone who has been sucssful with their fencing grant application.
    How did you work out costs, just use the reference €5.34/m or do I need to get a quote for materials or contractor cost?
    Was anyone unsucessful or did anyone find it not worth the hastle?
    Can I do all the work myself and is their an allowance for labour?
    I have 1200m to do with a few gateways, if I used clipex for some, would i have to use clipex for all or could i use wooden strainers and clipex in between?

Thanks for any thoughts!

You get paid based on the lower of the actual cost and the proposed cost (which must be the same or lower than the department reference cost). Putting in a lower cost than the reference cost gives you preference for being picked if the tranche is oversubscribed (which the December one looks like it will be.

If there are any archaeological sites within 50m of the fence you have to get permission from national monuments first. There were marked monuments on ground we fenced that are not visible, so worth checking map at www.archaeology.ie.

You can put in for own labour, tractor, post driver, trailer. There is an hourly rate for each available on the department website.

You have to provide ownership/long lease details (folio and map) when submitting a claim (not when applying) possible this could cause problems if things not in order or land in spouses/parents name.

Make sure all invoices are stamped paid and there are no non grant stuff on the invoice (you get penalised if there is) Also the department often comes looking for bank statements and cheque stubs, so don't pay cash and don't pay other non grant job invoices with the same cheque.

If you are using a contractor they need to give you their tax clearance cert, best to get it before they start. Also when submitting a claim you have to provide the contractors VAT number, this caused me a problem as the contractor that did part of it was not VAT registered. Also besides giving you the tax clearance cert, the contractor also has to register with the department as an approved supplier.

If there are any gates included that open onto a public road, they need to be fixed so they can only open inwards.

You have to do a health and safety course, to submit a claim. Get registered on one early to get it out of the way. You can't submit a claim till its done.

Keep all the post certs as they will be needed. You can start submitting a claim and upload all the various documents as you go along, save it and then submit it later on. It takes quite along time to get everything uploaded and documents can't be lost then.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

I had a look on the dept website, grants for sheep fencing does not seem to be open at the moment, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, anyone got any idea when or if it will open again, this is the first time in years that I've had the match funds for a grant of any description, I'd be very disappointed if I missed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

sandman30 wrote: »
    You get paid based on the lower of the actual cost and the proposed cost (which must be the same or lower than the department reference cost). Putting in a lower cost than the reference cost gives you preference for being picked if the tranche is oversubscribed (which the December one looks like it will be.

If there are any archaeological sites within 50m of the fence you have to get permission from national monuments first. There were marked monuments on ground we fenced that are not visible, so worth checking map at www.archaeology.ie.

You can put in for own labour, tractor, post driver, trailer. There is an hourly rate for each available on the department website.

You have to provide ownership/long lease details (folio and map) when submitting a claim (not when applying) possible this could cause problems if things not in order or land in spouses/parents name.

Make sure all invoices are stamped paid and there are no non grant stuff on the invoice (you get penalised if there is) Also the department often comes looking for bank statements and cheque stubs, so don't pay cash and don't pay other non grant job invoices with the same cheque.

If you are using a contractor they need to give you their tax clearance cert, best to get it before they start. Also when submitting a claim you have to provide the contractors VAT number, this caused me a problem as the contractor that did part of it was not VAT registered. Also besides giving you the tax clearance cert, the contractor also has to register with the department as an approved supplier.

If there are any gates included that open onto a public road, they need to be fixed so they can only open inwards.

You have to do a health and safety course, to submit a claim. Get registered on one early to get it out of the way. You can't submit a claim till its done.

Keep all the post certs as they will be needed. You can start submitting a claim and upload all the various documents as you go along, save it and then submit it later on. It takes quite along time to get everything uploaded and documents can't be lost then.

One point there I had an issue was paying in cash, although I had a receipt my name wasn’t on it. Better of paying cheque or card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

what clever chaps they have in the dept. they could do with a few of them in the OPW for fitting printers and applying movement permits for TDS

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Can anyone tell me can you do the h brace as opposed to 45degree support strutt?

Can anyone tell me can you do the h brace as opposed to 45degree support strutt?

sonnybill wrote: »

For grant purposes no brace or strutt is required for sheep fencing, so either can be used if you want. However a 45 degree strutt will be next to useless. Needs to be much smaller angle and strutt at least 10 foot long.

I had a look on the dept website, grants for sheep fencing does not seem to be open at the moment, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, anyone got any idea when or if it will open again, this is the first time in years that I've had the match funds for a grant of any description, I'd be very disappointed if I missed out

The grant is open at the moment, it is included as part of the AWNS (Animal welfare and nutrient storage) section of TAMS.

The grant is open at the moment, it is included as part of the AWNS (Animal welfare and nutrient storage) section of TAMS.

I think I may put in for it, I thought all strainers had to have a stay in Tams , I just got used of using the brace support

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

I think I may put in for it, I thought all strainers had to have a stay in Tams , I just got used of using the brace support

You can hang a gate from a strainer. If you have a gate approved but sure to have 2 seperate posts for hanger and closer. There is a detail on the h support and yours looks OK. Normally there is a timber piece on the wire for tightening the strainer to the support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

How long does it take between applying for grant before get approved and can start fencing??

Aravo wrote: »
    You can hang a gate from a strainer. If you have a gate approved but sure to have 2 seperate posts for hanger and closer. There is a detail on the h support and yours looks OK. Normally there is a timber piece on the wire for tightening the strainer to the support.

I thought ya had to have a strainer separate from the gate post? :confused:

marathon wrote: »
    How long does it take between applying for grant before get approved and can start fencing??

depending if ya need to get inspected first...if ya put in for hill fencing you will get inspected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

ganmo wrote: »
    I thought ya had to have a strainer separate from the gate post? :confused:

It’s a better idea whether required or not. If say you accidentally catch the gate with tractor or trailer and it puts out the gate post at least the strainer will be ok and fence won’t slack or break

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

razor8 wrote: »

Are you sure you can do the fence yourself?..I thought a fencing contractor had to put up the fence in order to qualify for TAMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Are you sure you can do the fence yourself?..I thought a fencing contractor had to put up the fence in order to qualify for TAMS.

No, you can fence yourself. There is a reference cost your pay yourself for your labour when doing it.

Yes. I’ve done it. But make sure you read the spec. There very strict on It

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingspecifications/wordversions/1S148August2019.doc

My 10.1.20 application is showing as “ready for checking by HQ” anyone checked theirs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan662

Aravo wrote: »

I did h frames and hung gates of them and got penalised. Lost 100% on all gates. Was told an independent gate post was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

My 10.1.20 application is showing as “ready for checking by HQ” anyone checked theirs ?

I only put my one in at the start of feb but this tranche is extended to June now.

Did you get yours done?

Advertisement