Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulvey Park, Dundrum

Options
  • 22-06-2019 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some information on this area. Are there many amenities nearby, supermarkets, gym etc.?
    I know it’s not too far from Dundrum Centre but is there anywhere closer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

There are local stores on Dundrum rd e.g. Costcutters. Then the usual selection of chippers,
    Bookies. Very convenient to the mosque in Clonskeagh and U.C.D. grounds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Gael23 wrote: »
    Looking for some information on this area. Are there many amenities nearby, supermarkets, gym etc.?
    I know it’s not too far from Dundrum Centre but is there anywhere closer?

Nothing wrong with it, a completely gentrified area between Dundrum and Clonskeagh. A 5 minute walk from the Luas.

The mental asylum ( I am not joking, there was/is one ) has been sold back to the council and that site is scheduled for " affordable housing". I don't know what type of housing is being built there, be they apartments, duplexes or Houses etc. You could probably find out by contacting the council.

Given its' location the houses there are pricey enough, but if you got an opportunity to buy there at the right price definitely go for it.

It is a good area. Dundrum would be the closet place for supermarkets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it, a completely gentrified area between Dundrum and Clonskeagh. A 5 minute walk from the Luas.

The mental asylum ( I am not joking, there was/is one ) has been sold back to the council and that site is scheduled for " affordable housing". I don't know what type of housing is being built there, be they apartments, duplexes or Houses etc. You could probably find out by contacting the council.

Given its' location the houses there are pricey enough, but if you got an opportunity to buy there at the right price definitely go for it.

The house is just behind the asylum. Are there no patients there any longer?
    I don’t drive so was hoping to find a proper supermarket a bit closer.

I am not sure if the hospital is still operational or not. The plan is to move to a new facility. I wouldn't worry as the walls are 5 stories high, it is a maximum security facility. Anyway it has been sold and is to be redeveloped.

The Luas is 5 minutes away. You can walk to Dundrum in 15 minutes. If you don't have a car you are well used to walking I would say:)

There is a posh supermarket also in Milltown. However it is mostly full of overpriced garbage. Grand to treat yourself with once in a while, but you wouldn't be doing your weekly shop there either.

There are also general convenience stores on Bird Avenue, in Windy Arbour and down in Milltown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

You're easily within walking distance of Dundrum shopping centre old and new there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The mental hospital is still functional. Nobody is getting over those walls.

I grew up in Clonskeagh. My house was about 200 yards from Mulvey Park.

Back in the 70s and 80s, it was predominantly social housing and was considered 'a little bit rough'.... but not too rough.

Nowadays it's a mixed estate with lots of private owners. Seems very safe indeed.

Luas station is only 500 metres away. Bus services are 11, 44, 61, 17.

Dundrum Town Centre is 15 mins easy walk.

UCD is a 25-30 minute walk to student centre.

A pile of restaurants..... pizzas, Thai, Indian, Chinese, chip shops.

Great location. Houses might be a bit boxy. I can't say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

D14Rugby wrote: »
    You're easily within walking distance of Dundrum shopping centre old and new there
    Where is the old Dundrum Centre in relation to the new one?
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The mental hospital is still functional. Nobody is getting over those walls.

I grew up in Clonskeagh. My house was about 200 yards from Mulvey Park.

Back in the 70s and 80s, it was predominantly social housing and was considered 'a little bit rough'.... but not too rough.

Nowadays it's a mixed estate with lots of private owners. Seems very safe indeed.

Luas station is only 500 metres away. Bus services are 11, 44, 61, 17.

Dundrum Town Centre is 15 mins easy walk.
    I can see it’s an older area so I can imagine a good number of residents are now elderly private owners. I’ll be using the Luas most of the time but there is a bus stop actually closer than the LUAS stop. I thought it was further than 15 mins to Dundrum, good to know it’s not

The local joke is that when building the mental hospital they were going to include Mulvey Park but they ran out of funds.
    It is a hospital for the criminally insane where people are sent if unable to be tried due to their mental state. The hospital is to be closed and patients transferred to a new one in Portrane.
    It is a massive site and is scheduled for housing development, private/social/affordable.

You reach the old Dundrum Shopping Centre before you reach the new Dundrum Town Centre.

It's that old-looking retail centre on Main Street.

When the Celtic Tiger was still roaring, it was scheduled to be demolished and replaced with a hotel and apartments.

Unfortunately the crash came along. Now the old shopping centre survives with Lidl, Dealz and a few smaller businesses.

I reckon it will be demolished in the next few years. It's just hanging on

• Advertisement

In terms of pubs....

Ryan's Arbour House is opposite Mulvey Park, but I heard it was sold for property

The Millrace has been boarded up for years.

Uncle Tom's Cabin is half way to Dundrum. It might be closed now. It was for sale as a property development last I heard.

As such, the nearest pub could become a long walk. Dundrum Village, the Dropping Well or Clonskeagh Road.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    You reach the old Dundrum Shopping Centre before you reach the new Dundrum Town Centre.

It's that old-looking retail centre on Main Street.

When the Celtic Tiger was still roaring, it was scheduled to be demolished and replaced with a hotel and apartments.

Unfortunately the crash came along. Now the old shopping centre survives with Lidl, Dealz and a few smaller businesses.

I reckon it will be demolished in the next few years. It's just hanging on

I think there is a planning application in for a mix of residential commercial including a hotel for that site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Well apart from that one guy in the late 90s early 2000s who managed to get over the wall and was running around the football pitch screaming and shouting,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Mulvey Park is plagued with all day parkers. Its a park and ride for the nearby Luas stop.
    Do you want to be fighting with people outside your house?

The mental hospital is fully operational, until it moves to Portrane later this year. Then it will be a large construction site for many years.
    They intend to build 2000 social or affordable housing units.

Advertisement