Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

Options
  • 22-06-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anyone know how the whole switching from biomedical sciences to medicine works.. like how many years do you do of bio med before you switch to medicine. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

smartboyz wrote: »
    Anyone know how the whole switching from biomedical sciences to medicine works.. like how many years do you do of bio med before you switch to medicine. Thanks

You can't "switch" per-say

Do 4 years of biomedical science, do the GAMSAT and enter Graduate Medicine.
    OR
    Do the HPAT again and re-apply for medicine next year. (This can be done Weather you do Biomedical Science or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭smartboyz

You can't "switch" per-say

Do 4 years of biomedical science, do the GAMSAT and enter Graduate Medicine.
    OR
    Do the HPAT again and re-apply for medicine next year. (This can be done Weather you do Biomedical Science or not)

After 4 years of biomedical sciences how many years of medicine do you still have to do. Do you still need to do the full six years??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's 4 in RCSI, UCD, UL and UCC.

spurious wrote: »
    It's 4 in RCSI, UCD, UL and UCC.

Thanks
    So it will be 8 years in total if I go through biomedical science way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Presuming you get in, yes. Not every graduate who applies gets in.

This might be of interest:
    https://www.dit.ie/media/careers/pdf/Your%20path%20to%20Graduate%20Entry%20Medicine%202017.pdf (.pdf file)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks
    So it will be 8 years in total if I go through biomedical science way?

An additional 4 years regardless of the degree once you achieve a 2.1 in an honours degree and score highly on the gamsat.

You're effectively doing 2 degrees.

And need loads of money.

jon1981 wrote: »
    An additional 4 years regardless of the degree once you achieve a 2.1 in an honours degree and score highly on the gamsat.

You're effectively doing 2 degrees.

And need loads of money.

What other degrees could you do before going to medicine. And is it really worth it or should I go for engineering?

Presuming you get in, yes. Not every graduate who applies gets in.

This might be of interest:
    https://www.dit.ie/media/careers/pdf/Your%20path%20to%20Graduate%20Entry%20Medicine%202017.pdf (.pdf file)

So it basically depends on how well I do on the gmsat to get it?

So it basically depends on how well I do on the gmsat to get it?

And your degree and having the money to fund yourself.

Much easier go direct to Medicine.

Not sure why you are mentioning Engineering, are you not sure you want to do Medicine? They are very different areas.

Not sure why you are mentioning Engineering, are you not sure you want to do Medicine? They are very different areas.

Don't think I did well enough in the leaving certificate for medicine that's why I'm thinking about the different routes. Engineering is my next choice if I have no clear route to medicine

• Advertisement

Why not repeat?
    How was your HPAT?
    Going in directly is by far the easier option.

Why not repeat?
    How was your HPAT?
    Going in directly is by far the easier option.

The hpat wasnt too great and it wasn't bad either. I'll see on Tuesday when the results come out.
    I don't think I would be able to cope with repeating either

Yeah.. I've just done alot of research on the engineering course and it is most definitely not for me.
    Does any biomedical course suit the transition because they're 2 types of biomed in UCD and I can't find the difference

I don't think it makes any difference what discipline your first degree is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lvoc

When I was in UCD a lot of Biomedical Health and Life Science students subsequently did GAMSAT and transferred to medicine. But as the above poster says you can do any undergraduate degree, once you get at least a 2.1 in it

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

I think you're asking about transferring between the BHLS course and medicine? I *think* that if you are successful in another attempt at the HPAT during your first year in this course, you can move into second year of the medicine undergrad course without having to pay additional fees. I wouldn't study BHLS for this reason alone though because getting the HPAT the second time around isn't guaranteed. If you post your question in the UCD forum you should get more informed answers :)

Advertisement