Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I met a homeless Mother on the street

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This is a classic bait and switch thread.. Be more subtle ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

They're adapting. Told one chap I had no change and he took out an ESB card and asked me would I top it up by a tenner.

The homeless will surely have to buy card readers in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Previously banned posters who sign back up?
    Never actually have anything to contribute.

Checks Join Date. May 2019

56c00865ca829e5edb4d58a8ba8e32cf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yep, and this will continue, until the govt. stop paying for scum to have kids and giving free houses this will get worse and worse.

These kids are brought up with zero guidance or love, they turn into demons, just look at that poor Ana Kriegel girl, murdered by scum like this from scum families

If what's out and about is to be believed, the two boys were not from what you would term as 'the social welfare class'. So what you're saying is complete conjecture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

On abbey st making my way home from work during the week . She had 2 young boys both under 4 and pushing a pram while drinking coffee.

She approached me and asked me can she use my phone . She wasn’t any threat to steal it so it wasn’t a problem . She called out the number for me to dial and said she left her phone in the hotel ( I twigged that’s where she was living at the moment ).

I passed her my phone it was her partner she was calling . I noticed something wasn’t right she was slurring her words . I looked at the coffee cup and it was red wine inside . I looked under the pram and there was 2 bottles of wine there with other groceries . She was extremely drunk walking around town with her kids and was making her way to focus Ireland . She gave me back the phone to explain to her partner who I was as he was paranoid . After threats to kill me I hung up blocked his number and went home

Couldn’t stop thinking on way home . We’ve created a monster allowing people like this to have kids in order to get a social house quicker etc

However has the current crisis meant there has been a slow down in kids been born into this environment? Is this the only good thing to come from it ?

I feel guilty for even saying that . However them 2 boys have all the odds stacked against them from the very start

Excuse me I’m rambling now

Rich evil landlords to blame.

Not the consequence free everything for nothing welfare policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Your Face wrote: »
    Drinking wine from a coffee cup is genius.

No-one would suspect anything if I did it.
    Nothing genius about it.
    I bring my gin and tonic to work everyday in a water bottle. Nobody passes any attention when they see it on the bus dashboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

A limit of one year on the dole, in a five year cycle would end people’s addiction to free money. If people had to work to survive they wouldn’t be pissed pushing a pram around like this woman. I never understand people who have kids and drag them up. Why did the woman in the story have kids, when she had nothing to offer to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

There's a few homeless lads living in tents on the canal adjoining Baggot Street which is near me.

I have seen it in the city centre as well.

It makes me worried myself when I see it. I can understand the OP's shock.

I don't think homelessness was as bad years ago as it is now.

Price of rent in Dublin is pretty bad. I'm planning to move away from the city myself. It's just too expensive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The heroin addicts on Amiens st often have kids with them. I always see heroin addicts walking around town with young kids. They haven't a hope, but what can you do? It's not like you need to get a licence to have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have met a homeless mom last year. She had one little girl.
    I just got the kid Mc Donald's and the mom a sandwich from O'Brien's i put a 50 euro note in the sandwich bag.

I might be naive, but I didn't think there were any homeless mothers/children in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    The homeless will surely have to buy card readers in the coming years.
    Homeless people wearing barcodes to accept cashless payments

Homeless people are wearing barcodes around their necks in an attempt to increase donations in a cashless society, under an Oxford University backed initiative.

A new social innovation project, called Greater Change, hands homeless people a QR code, similar to the kind issued for online tickets.

Passersby who wish to give money - but who may not have any change in their pocket - can scan the code using their smart phone, and make an online payment to the person.

Big Issue sellers have them in the UK also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    A limit of one year on the dole, in a five year cycle would end people’s addiction to free money. If people had to work to survive they wouldn’t be pissed pushing a pram around like this woman. I never understand people who have kids and drag them up. Why did the woman in the story have kids, when she had nothing to offer to them?

The idea that anyone would have kids to get trapped in a hotel room or bedsit with x amount of kids running around screaming and bored and hysterical, just to get a house for free off the state, is ludicrous.
    Nobody wants that. Nobody. Nobody does that.

That situation would drive anyone to drink.

Some heartless and frankly clueless people posting constantly here on this topic. They have not even a single genuine notion of what it is like to be in that situation. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone and it’s appalling to see whats being spouted. Nonsense and Poorly informed nonsense is all it is

For all the complaining about Muslims on this forum, those doing it have forgotten the main rule of Christianity. Be thankful for what you have and
    Look after those worse off than you.

And I say that as an atheist enemy of the Catholic Church.

Hypocrisy abounds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I might be naive, but I didn't think there were any homeless mothers/children in Ireland?

They are in emergency accommodation in the main

Stheno wrote: »
    They are in emergency accommodation in the main

Ok but no actual homeless mothers/children on the street?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The idea that anyone would have kids to get trapped in a hotel room or bedsit with x amount of kids running around screaming and bored and hysterical, just to get a house for free off the state, is ludicrous.
    Nobody wants that. Nobody. Nobody does that.

That situation would drive anyone to drink.

Some heartless and frankly clueless people posting constantly here on this topic. They have not even a single genuine notion of what it is like to be in that situation. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone and it’s appalling to see whats being spouted. Nonsense and Poorly informed nonsense is all it is

For all the complaining about Muslims on this forum, those doing it have forgotten the main rule of Christianity. Be thankful for what you have and
    Look after those worse off than you.

Hypocrisy abounds.

Erica Fleming chose to stay in a hotel room with her daughter rather than take HAP ing io l she got permanent housing

Ok but no actual homeless mothers/children on the street?

I don't believe so but am not 100 percent sure

Erica Fleming chose to stay in a hotel room with her daughter rather than take HAP ing io l she got permanent housing

I don’t know who that is sorry.

What’s the bill annually for keeping these families in hotels does anyone know?

Can only imagine the bill goes up annually?

I don't believe so but am not 100 percent sure

You’ve pointed out the flaw in the OP post.

No way a woman getting beaten and threatened would happen in a hotel. Other residents would hear. She could run to reception and say he’s gonna kill me. And get moved to a different hotel. Etc etc.

Original post was bill**** hating on homeless people. Par for the after hours course though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

vriesmays wrote: »
    Did you ask her which bank repossessed her home.

Probably some vulture fund which bought out the distressed mortgage in the 1st instance, all the banks are doing this now

• Advertisement

I wonder where the fathers are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Its approx €49 million a year and rising....

kravmaga wrote: »

Less than I thought tbh.

Obviously it's unacceptable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

I have met a homeless mom last year. She had one little girl.
    I just got the kid Mc Donald's and the mom a sandwich from O'Brien's i put a 50 euro note in the sandwich bag.

If she was living in a hotel and not paying rent, why couldn't she pay for her own food from her dole money?

You were scammed by someone too arrogant to get a job and having no shame pretending she and her children are living on the streets.

Most people who ask you for money are opportunistic chancers.

kravmaga wrote: »

So over ten years, and we’re appeoaching that in this crisis,
    €500 million would build an awful lot of houses

Hypocrisy abounds.

Bit hypocritical being an atheist and sectarian aswell.

Very rational.....

I think it was over 100 million last year for Dublin

Edit https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/hotels-received-in-excess-of-e1-million-for-accommodating-homeless-people-in-last-year-4492207-Feb2019/%3famp=1
    143 million for Dublin city council(One of four council's in the greater dublin area) in 2018 and they are budgeting over 150 mill up on this year.

I live in Fingal and they appear to be doing well with building social housing in my area I know of four developments being worked on

Bit hypocritical being an atheist and sectarian aswell.

Very rational.....

You’re using that word wrong. Try harder.

It couldn’t be that.
    It’s up there but not that much.

It couldn’t be that.
    It’s up there but not that much.

See my link above. For ONE of the four Dublin councils it was 143 million last year

• Advertisement

If she was living in a hotel and not paying rent, why couldn't she pay for her own food from her dole money?

You were scammed by someone too arrogant to get a job and having no shame pretending she and her children are living on the streets.

Most people who ask you for money are opportunistic chancers.

Well firstly thanks for looking out for me.

I was helping someone obviously less fortunate than me because i wanted to. I am not so bothered if she was over emphasizing her situation. Kind of means she is a good mother to do that.

She needed something in the moment the kid was hungry and so was she. It's my duty to help. It's an honor. It allowed an opportunity for me to be a good person and to be less selfish. If she didn't need it. Then it's even better!

It's the way i was raised. It's 'Tzedakah'.Righteousness.Charity.

Edit https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/hotels-received-in-excess-of-e1-million-for-accommodating-homeless-people-in-last-year-4492207-Feb2019/%3famp=1
    143 million for Dublin city council(One of fout council's in the greater dublin area) in 2018 and they are budgeting over 150 mill up on this year.

I live in Fingal and they appear to be doing well with building social housing in my area I know of four developments being worked on

That is more like it. 49 million seemed very low.:(

I was helping someone obviously less fortunate than me because i wanted to. I am not so bothered if she was over emphasizing her situation. Kind of means she is a good mother to do that.

She needed something in the moment the kid was hungry and so was she. It's my duty to help. It's an honor. It allowed an opportunity for me to be a good person and to be less selfish. If she didn't need it. Then it's even better!

Nothing righteous about giving someone rope to hang themselves with. You've no idea what that 50 quid went towards.

Much more responsible and charitable to sacrifice the good feeling you got from giving her cash to her face and instead give the money to an organisation with the know-how and resources to actually help.

So over ten years, and we’re appeoaching that in this crisis,
    €500 million would build an awful lot of houses

Emergency accomodat upon in 2018 cost DCC 143 million.

One of the housing charities has just applied for 3 million in funding to buy 8 houses in Santry

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/housing-charity-to-pay-3m-for-conor-mcgregors-social-housing-development-38222706.html

At that rate 500 million would provide maybe 170 houses, a drop in the ocean given there are probably 3000 homeless families in Dublin

Edit I was incorrect they get funding for 30 percent so 500 million would perhaps provide 550 housed

Nothing righteous about giving someone rope to hang themselves with. You've no idea what that 50 quid went towards.

Much more responsible and charitable to sacrifice the good feeling you got from giving her cash to her face and instead give the money to an organisation with the know-how and resources to actually help.

I do give to organizations.

We were just raised differently sethno. it was a very important part of my upbringing to do what i did.

But we are all raised differently and think differently. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Never thought Of that .

You never thought to report neglected children to the guards but remembered to have a rant on Boards, yeah right .

One of the housing charities has just applied for 3 million in funding to buy 8 houses in Santry

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/housing-charity-to-pay-3m-for-conor-mcgregors-social-housing-development-38222706.html

At that rate 500 million would provide maybe 170 houses, a drop in the ocean given there are probably 3000 homeless families in Dublin

There’s an inquiry on its own. 3 million for 8 houses. How did they get many built for that cheap??

Still though. It’s a drop in the ocean compared to pouring good money into a black hole paying hotels no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

So people working get to commute from Gorey and Portlaoise etc., and get to pay for the helpless to live in the City.

What a fcuking country.

Want a free house?
    Here's one in Longford.
    Cheerio.

There’s an inquiry on its own. 3 million for 8 houses. How sid they get many built for that cheap??

Still though. It’s a drop in the ocean compared to pouring good money into a black hole paying hotels no?

Dublin City Council appear one of the worst performers when it comes to provide i my or building social housing tbh.

As I said Fingal appear to have a better approach

• Advertisement

I feel sometimes people feel bad because they can't give and project that on to those who need or who do give.

It's projected shame.

You don't want to give cool. No one cares.

You can't give not a soul judges.

Doing a good thing doesn't make you a better person.

Projecting shame though does mean you don't understand yourself and your motivations and you are probably easily manipulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

If there was only one real serious charity that would pick these people up and bring them somewhere that keeps them sober for a solid 2 weeks,.so they can start to see and realise how good life can be and how good they should feel,. If they are relentlessly drunk or high then they have no chance,.God Love them,a horrible existence.

I feel sometimes people feel bad because they can't give and project that on to those who need or who do give.

It's projected shame.

You don't want to give cool. No one cares.

You can't give not a soul judges.

Doing a good thing doesn't make you a better person.

Projecting shame though does mean you don't understand yourself and your motivations and you are probably easily manipulated.

I don't give money to people begging on the street and feel no shame about it whatsoever tbh

Well firstly thanks for looking out for me.

What I meant was that if I'm waiting for a tram and a well dressed person asks me for €2, why would I give them money, apart from the fact they don't buy a ticket, most likely they have more money than me.
    This is a regular occurrence.

If someone is not paying rent, they most likely have more money than me.

If they were given a council house, they would actually have less discretionary income, are they going to stop begging then?

There are still people who think that all beggers live on the street and would never possibly scam anyone.

For what reason were you feeding her and her child and giving her 50 euro?

She'll hardly have any inhibitions or independence now?

I don't give money to people begging on the street and feel no shame about it whatsoever tbh

Nor should you. Shame is evil.

What I meant was that if I'm waiting for a tram and a well dressed person asks me for €2, why would I give them money, apart from the fact they don't buy a ticket, most likely they have more money than me.

If someone is not paying rent, they most likely have more money than me.

If they were given a council house, they would actually have less discretionary income, are they going to stop begging then?

There are still people who think that all beggers live on the street and woukd never possibly scam anyone.

Sometimes i have to give money away ..on holidays etc ...its required ...i have to just find anyone ...they usually don't need it.

And yes I do get pleasure from it. It's the best feeling in the world. :):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

The last time I helped someone who told me they were hungry and bought them a coffee and a chicken sandwich and gave it to them they threw it at me lol

I had no change, only big wads of notes, soy conscious went at me.
    I walked into a spar bought a chicken roll and coffee and brought it back to them..

I remember it well the mid 00's I was feeling generous.

So on that cold November's evening I handed the guy the coffee and roll, he fcked it at me got me with the roll and wet my boot's with the coffee...

He was so out of his head he didn't remember that he asked me a few minutes ago for money for a sandwich and coffee because he was starving...

More like money for gear I'd say...

Although there was a funny element of me getting my good will thrown back at me, his state of mind wasn't funny....

I never did it since....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You have no idea what that 50 quid goes towards either when you give it to an organisation which you would think should have the know-how and resources to actually help.

Far better off cutting out the middleman so to speak and the money managers who are siphoning funding off the HSE and other Government departments to produce reams of annual reports and fancy literature that often nobody is arsed reading, because if they did, they’d be questioning how the fcuk is €150 million being spent on homelessness in just Dublin alone, and yet the homeless figures are still climbing??

Easy answer to that - the idea is to keep people as dependent upon a charity as they can for as long as possible so that the charity still receives funding from Government to cover their operational costs. Public donations are but a pittance of their funding, most of which is spent on administration costs which keep these charities in business and homeless people in poverty.

Giving directly to homeless people themselves at least gives them a choice in where 100% of their money goes, as opposed to the financial consultant hired by a charity deciding that 2c in every euro goes to providing actual services for people who are homeless.

I never actually said that.

Anywhere. Reporting your post.

What ??? I wasn't saying it to you.

Genem nicht It means 'hell no! '

It's yiddish.

I said it to start moaning. Or is that you aswell?

You have no idea what that 50 quid goes towards either when you give it to an organisation which you would think should have the know-how and resources to actually help.

Far better off cutting out the middleman so to speak and the money managers who are siphoning funding off the HSE and other Government departments to produce reams of annual reports and fancy literature that often nobody is arsed reading, because if they did, they’d be questioning how the fcuk is €150 million being spent on homelessness in just Dublin alone, and yet the homeless figures are still climbing??

Easy answer to that - the idea is to keep people as dependent upon a charity as they can for as long as possible so that the charity still receives funding from Government to cover their operational costs. Public donations are but a pittance of their funding, most of which is spent on administration costs which keep these charities in business and homeless people in poverty.

Giving directly to homeless people themselves at least gives them a choice in where 100% of their money goes, as opposed to the financial consultant hired by a charity deciding that 2c in every euro goes to providing actual services for people who are homeless.
    The 150 million was only central Dublin City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

But you must realise that this choice will be anything but a rational one. You may as well buy them the coffee AND a nagin and even go one step further and pour it in yourself.
    The mistakes are treating the symptoms, but never the cause. And because of that, the problem remain. Even get worse as there are no stop gaps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement