Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I met a homeless Mother on the street

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You never thought to report neglected children to the guards but remembered to have a rant on Boards, yeah right .

One or both parents being alcoholics or drug addicts isn't grounds for children to be removed from their care anyway. If that was the case, tens of thousands of children would be taken away from their parents. If the children's basic need for food, shelter and clothing is being met then they aren't neglected. OP said there were other groceries in the buggy too so obviously she is able to provide those

It sounds like this woman has turned to alcohol to cope with a stressful time in her life. I feel bad for her and her children, it's not a situation anyone would choose to be in. Hopefully she is able to turn it around before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Kind of means she is a good mother to do that.

She needed something in the moment the kid was hungry and so was she. It's my duty to help. It's an honor. It allowed an opportunity for me to be a good person and to be less selfish. If she didn't need it. Then it's even better!

It's the way i was raised. It's 'Tzedakah'.Righteousness.Charity.

So you did it for yourself.

Not exactly selfless, it's up to you in the end but you're just promoting bad behaviour and it makes Ireland’s town and cities look awful.

She's not a good a mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

So you did it for yourself.

Not exactly selfless, it's up to you in the end but you're just promoting bad behaviour and it makes Ireland’s town and cities look awful.

She's not a good a mother

I did do it for myself. :) I deserve a treat :):p

I did it for my own selfish purposes ...AND I'LL DO IT AGAIN! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Rich evil landlords to blame.

Not the consequence free everything for nothing welfare policy.

*Lack of supply to blame.

There are probably multiple reasons to blame.

Lack of supply. Etc social reasons. Family breakdown. Job loss etc.

I don't think it's one thing alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I wonder where the fathers are.

I wonder do they know who the fathers are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

bunderoon wrote: »
    But you must realise that this choice will be anything but a rational one. You may as well buy them the coffee AND a nagin and even go one step further and pour it in yourself.
    The mistakes are treating the symptoms, but never the cause. And because of that, the problem remain. Even get worse as there are no stop gaps.

I realise that just like my choice to give them money directly doesn’t seem to you to be a rational choice, their choice in how they choose to spend what is now their money, won’t be a rational choice to you either, because you’re assuming that they’re all making the same irrational choices which led to them being homeless in the first place.

Having been homeless myself, and having received money directly from people, and having never received support from any charity at the time, I decided when I had gotten back on my feet that I would try and give back to the people who helped me out by working with homeless charities. It was a fcuking eye opener, that’s all I’ll say :pac:

The sheer amount of money wasted on these parasites who prey on people who are unfortunate enough to be referred to them is nothing shy of disgusting, frankly. That’s one symptom of the sheer greed of the people running these charities. If you want to treat the cause, the HSE needs to stop outsourcing social care to the hundreds of homeless organisations dotted around the country, and some of the even bigger more well organised money management agencies, sorry, “charities” which have the political clout to demand more and more funding every year to fund their operations.

Until that happens, the problems absolutely will get worse, because the Government is simply handing money to charities and there is no real accountability for where the money is actually going and questions asked as to whether or not the State is actually getting value for the vast amounts of money being given to these charities.

Gerry G wrote: »
    I wonder do they know who the fathers are?

I would say in the majority of cases they do.

I realise that just like my choice to give them money directly doesn’t seem to you to be a rational choice, their choice in how they choose to spend what is now their money, won’t be a rational choice to you either, because you’re assuming that they’re all making the same irrational choices which led to them being homeless in the first place.

Having been homeless myself, and having received money directly from people, and having never received support from any charity at the time, I decided when I had gotten back on my feet that I would try and give back to the people who helped me out by working with homeless charities. It was a fcuking eye opener, that’s all I’ll say :pac:

The sheer amount of money wasted on these parasites who prey on people who are unfortunate enough to be referred to them is nothing shy of disgusting, frankly. That’s one symptom of the sheer greed of the people running these charities. If you want to treat the cause, the HSE needs to stop outsourcing social care to the hundreds of homeless organisations dotted around the country, and some of the even bigger more well organised money management agencies, sorry, “charities” which have the political clout to demand more and more funding every year to fund their operations.

Until that happens, the problems absolutely will get worse, because the Government is simply handing money to charities and there is no real accountability for where the money is actually going and questions asked as to whether or not the State is actually getting value for the vast amounts of money being given to these charities.

What you do with your money is your own business. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

The thing is if you can afford to give €50 then why not give it. You could be enabling someone in a negative lifestyle OR you could be providing the thing that someone needs to pull themselves out of a desperate life. You won't know but for the sake of €50 that you can afford it's probably worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

zanador wrote: »
    The thing is if you can afford to give €50 then why not give it. You could be enabling someone in a negative lifestyle OR you could be providing the thing that someone needs to pull themselves out of a desperate life. You won't know but for the sake of €50 that you can afford it's probably worth it.

Bag of gear/bottle of whiskey springs to mind. Ah well saves her begging for hours, with same result.

I would say in the majority of cases they do.

I'd also imagine that in a lot of cases it would be like wondering which bean made you fart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Once the money is handed over it's theirs to do with as they please. For example 20 years ago if you spent money in Dunnes stores there was a chance that Ben was using your cash for Colombian marching powder or high class hookers.

Whether you spend it or give it away, once its gone you have no say over it.

Stheno wrote: »
    Emergency accomodat upon in 2018 cost DCC 143 million.

One of the housing charities has just applied for 3 million in funding to buy 8 houses in Santry

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/housing-charity-to-pay-3m-for-conor-mcgregors-social-housing-development-38222706.html

At that rate 500 million would provide maybe 170 houses, a drop in the ocean given there are probably 3000 homeless families in Dublin

Edit I was incorrect they get funding for 30 percent so 500 million would perhaps provide 550 housed

They could, of course, build houses for all of them, and have plenty of change from that €500 million, outside Dublin. For some really irrational reason there is a consensus that people in Dublin have a right to a free, much more expensive home in Dublin from the state. Meanwhile, how many people who actually work in Dublin must live outside the city because they can't afford to live in Dublin? And how many people living in Dublin had to move there because they couldn't get a job in their own home area?

Giving this free housing "right" in Dublin is utterly indefensible.

They could, of course, build houses for all of them, and have plenty of change from that €500 million, outside Dublin. For some really irrational reason there is a consensus that people in Dublin have a right to a free, much more expensive home in Dublin from the state. Meanwhile, how many people who actually work in Dublin must live outside the city because they can't afford to live in Dublin? And how many people living in Dublin had to move there because they couldn't get a job in their own home area?

Giving this free housing "right" in Dublin is utterly indefensible.

I think it might be because there are no jobs in rural areas. Which is another issue we have to address fuaranach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

The ones in tents in the Phoenix park pi*s me off, not because they are there,but the mess they make,even though the place is full of bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I know people often feel sympathy for the situation that they got into but you do have to remember that the vast majority are there for a reason. Its usually because they are very bad people.

I'm recent accounts we have that guy that died, who was fronted in the Apollo House thing. It turned out that he was a nonce.

Jonathan Corrie was given 2 houses and pissed them away on Drugs.

There is well know gas sniffer that lurks around Dublin City centre with his missus. He used to stroll around my area with a knife and steal drink off people.

There was a homeless guy in Cork, who was from Dublin (my estate). Somebody did an interview with him (on one of his good days), he said he was sorting his life out and off the booze. Everybody felt sorry for him and asked why his family couldn't help. His family took him back up to Dublin, and a few days later I spotted him absolutely pissed and falling into a Bush.

There is a reason why people are on the streets. It's because anybody who knows them well, hates them. This isn't the case for Every street dweller but it is for the vast majority. Don't pity them, they'll tell you one side of their story but you'll probably change your mind after hearing the opposite end.

I know people often feel sympathy for the situation that they got into but you do have to remember that the vast majority are there for a reason. Its usually because they are very bad people.

I'm recent accounts we have that guy that died, who was fronted in the Apollo House thing. It turned out that he was a nonce.

There is well know gas sniffer that lurks around Dublin City centre with his missus. He used to stroll around my area with a knife and steal drink off people.

There was a homeless guy in Cork, who was from Dublin (my estate). Somebody did an interview with him (on one of his good days), he said he was sorting his life out and off the booze. Everybody felt sorry for him and asked why his family couldn't help. His family took him back up to Dublin, and a few days later I spotted him absolutely pissed and falling into a Bush.

There is a reason why people are on the streets. It's because anybody who knows them well, hates them. This isn't the case for Every street dweller but it is for the vast majority. Don't pity them, they'll tell you one side of their story but you'll probably change your mind after hearing the opposite end.

Nail on the head Richard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i agree that there are too many charities supporting or purporting to support the homeless.
    time and again we see that the accountability is tenuous to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

A beggar in Cork lives in the suburbs and gets the bus into town every day to beg. He has a roof over his head, could be his mother’s Council house, not sure. You’ll hear him ask for €2 for a hostel for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    A beggar in Cork lives in the suburbs and gets the bus into town every day to beg. He has a roof over his head, could be his mother’s Council house, not sure. You’ll hear him ask for €2 for a hostel for the night.
    We have one of them too. Saturday 9 am to 6pm at the shopping centre and then no sign of him for the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I feel sometimes people feel bad because they can't give and project that on to those who need or who do give.

It's projected shame.

You don't want to give cool. No one cares.

You can't give not a soul judges.

Doing a good thing doesn't make you a better person.

Projecting shame though does mean you don't understand yourself and your motivations and you are probably easily manipulated.

Thought you were genuine after your but it's obvious from your last few posts you are trolling, pretty sad!

What you do with your money is your own business. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

So if a heroin addict overdoses because you drop them fifty quid and they shoot it all up their arm you just walk away with a swagger? Really hope you are a troll because otherwise you are a complete self indulged ahole.

Nosnon wrote: »
    Once the money is handed over it's theirs to do with as they please. For example 20 years ago if you spent money in Dunnes stores there was a chance that Ben was using your cash for Colombian marching powder or high class hookers.

Whether you spend it or give it away, once its gone you have no say over it.

No you gob****e, giving money to a heroin addict means it will be spent on heroin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    The last time I helped someone who told me they were hungry and bought them a coffee and a chicken sandwich and gave it to them they threw it at me lol

I had no change, only big wads of notes, soy conscious went at me.
    I walked into a spar bought a chicken roll and coffee and brought it back to them..

I remember it well the mid 00's I was feeling generous.

So on that cold November's evening I handed the guy the coffee and roll, he fcked it at me got me with the roll and wet my boot's with the coffee...

He was so out of his head he didn't remember that he asked me a few minutes ago for money for a sandwich and coffee because he was starving...

More like money for gear I'd say...

Although there was a funny element of me getting my good will thrown back at me, his state of mind wasn't funny....

I never did it since....

I ran into a real chump while I was on Hawkins Street waiting for the 39 bus( Urgh I really detested that bus but that's a story for another day)

The guy was shaking. He asked me for a fiver for a sandwhich. I thought he was shaking cos he was starving. The fukker took the cash, he walks right across the street and straight into a pub!

I was thundering after that one. If I see a beggar now I will just scowl at them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

jcorr wrote: »
    I ran into a real chump while I was on Hawkins Street waiting for the 39 bus( Urgh I really detested that bus but that's a story for another day)

The guy was shaking. He asked me for a fiver for a sandwhich. I thought he was shaking cos he was starving. The fukker took the cash, he walks right across the street and straight into a pub!

I was thundering after that one. If I see a beggar now I will just scowl at them!

Maybe he bought a sammich in the pub.

Maybe he bought a sammich in the pub.

I followed him in. He ordered a pint.

I believe you , in fact I hear your named whispered in awe and terror as the one who scowls at homeless beggars.

Thought you were genuine after your but it's obvious from your last few posts you are trolling, pretty sad!
    No. I'm genuine.

I think I have been around long enough now for people to realize that. :o

Sad ..well while not the kindest thing to say. I am not one of the 'cool' people.

I'm just me.

What's wrong with a homeless guy having a pint?

• Advertisement

What's wrong with a homeless guy having a pint?

Well one doth protest....

.... he said he wanted a sandwich!

So? What is the problem?

He wanted a pint. He's homeless.He knows people walking by probably don't think he deserves one. So he said sandwich.

Umkay.

Maybe he even needs to watch his drinking a little. Must be tough to be homeless.

So? What is the problem?

He wanted a pint. He's homeless.He knows people walking by probably don't think he deserves one. So he said sandwich.

Umkay.

Maybe he even needs to watch his drinking a little. Must be tough to be homeless.

Or maybe he said Smithwicks and the poster didn't hear properly cause of the noise of the buses going by.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    One or both parents being alcoholics or drug addicts isn't grounds for children to be removed from their care anyway. If that was the case, tens of thousands of children would be taken away from their parents.

they should be, but alas the state's record at looking after kids is itself rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I have been homeless.

It was due to addiction and stubborness.

It was in a differnet country and I could have come home any time to an upper middlecalss home...I was embarrassed and couldn't even make the call.

The only reason I made it out of the trap was due to a realisation that if I didn't change I would be dead before the age of 30 or I would have killed someone before I reached 30 and it came close on a few occassions. This was the mid 90's

Times have changed but addiction has not. If anything it has become 'even easier' to become addicted due to availability.

I am not excusing those that are homeless due to addiction but asking people to remember that it is not a simple problem.

Those that have never experienced addiction or homelesness or a combination of both can never appreciate the impact of eiher (or both) and will never, ever understand but will continue to cast stones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

jim salter wrote: »
    I have been homeless.

It was in a differnet country and I could have come home any time to an upper middlecalss home...I was embarrassed and couldn't even make the call.

The only reason I made it out of the trap was due to a realisation that if I didn't change I would be dead before the age of 30 or I would have killed someone before I reached 30 and it came close on a few occassions. This was the mid 90's

Times have changed but addiction has not. If anything it has become 'even easier' to become addicted due to availability.

I am not excusing those that are homeless due to addiction but asking people to remember that it is not a simple problem.

Those that have never experienced addiction or homelesness or a combination of both can never appreciate the impact of eiher (or both) and will never, ever understand but will continue to cast stones

Good.on you for making this post. Glad to see you are in a better space now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

So people working get to commute from Gorey and Portlaoise etc., and get to pay for the helpless to live in the City.

What a fcuking country.

Want a free house?
    Here's one in Longford.
    Cheerio.

Homelessness is an urban generated problem by in large - compounded by the failures of urban planning for urban residents.

Why would you try to take a Dublin / Cork problem and try to outsource it to Longford? You might wish to consult rural communities on this, because they're already a little miffed at direct provision centres being foisted on them because urban land and resources ares already supposedly too precious for asylum seekers.

Rural Ireland isn't the badlands to cast off your problems so you don't have to look at them or think about them.

jim salter wrote: »
    I have been homeless.

I'm humbled by your post. Well done on you getting your life together.

My grandmother on my father's side was homeless at one point in her life.

My exes father was also homeless at one point. Neither of them had ever had a home as children.

I'm never going to judge homeless people. It would be like spitting in my grandmother's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

People are homeless/destitute because usually they are very bad people? I mean if you are sincere in what you say then it confirms my thought that Boards has been overcome by right leaning lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

If you every grow up you'll realise life is a roll of the dice and that maybe you were just luckier at the start than many of these people you deem to be bad people.
    However maybe if develop a brain tumour others will theorise that you deserved it because you were a bad person.
    In the end it's all about perception.
    here's hoping you don't develop an inoperable brain tumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well in fairness, if he was shaking due to needing a drink he pretty much has to have one or risk bad withdrawals, seizures and possible death. He had no choice but to drink rather than eat at that point, I wouldn't begrudge him a fiver tbh, it's a pretty ****ty life for anyone

smurgen wrote: »
    People are homeless/destitute because usually they are very bad people? I mean if you are sincere in what you say then it confirms my thought that Boards has been overcome by right leaning lunatics.

Maybe they don't know someone can have never had a home even as a kid. They can have no family have lost both parents. Or both parents can be drug addicts etc. And at 18 after being in care you are on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

These mothers and fathers have extra financial incentives to have kids which is state abuse and it makes it far difficult to get locked up for any court appearance.
    we are to gullible as a society there is social welfare and adequate accommodation even in the form of emergency
    If someone is caught begging or sleeping homeless and on benefits the get a warning or next time they lose 25%.
    As we pay taxes to these they should behave or be penalized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sometimes i have to give money away ..on holidays etc ...its required ...i have to just find anyone ...they usually don't need it.

And yes I do get pleasure from it. It's the best feeling in the world. :):p

Yup, most charity is fairly self serving that way. It's a buzz.

I wonder though...

I was in town a few weeks ago with my children, did the library, the park and said we would have a treat so stopped in a doughnut shop on the way to the bus. Got them a doughnut each, sat down in there, they promptly scoffed.

They asked for another, and I told them "no, one is loads, full of sugar, it is home time" and started looking up the bus timetable. They asked again (as kids do), so I said "No, no money left, just enough for the bus", which was a better explanation apparently than the sugar one, and they chilled.

Some other patron overheard though, and decided we must be very needy, as decided to give me a box of doughnuts on our way out of the shop, telling me she couldn't eat them as my kids were hungry. (Wtf like). I took the box as we were running for the bus, and there was 20 quid in it when I opened it, and 8 doughnuts

So em.
    Anyway. Totally Bizarre and tbh, had a good look at what I was wearing and if I appeared to be a wino! Thanks for the sugar bomb lady. Didn't need the dosh either. Was that you?

I was the woman in a blazer, jeans, sunglasses, heels with two kids.

pwurple wrote: »

Was that you?

No and your personal experiences are not my problem.

So if a heroin addict overdoses because you drop them fifty quid and they shoot it all up their arm you just walk away with a swagger? Really hope you are a troll because otherwise you are a complete self indulged ahole.

ILYB never said that. They said it was my own business how I spent my money and I don’t owe anyone an explanation. You made up the nonsense about a heroin addict overdosing, I’m not sure whether you’re trolling or just an ahole that you missed her point.

You gave a fella a fiver and then followed him to see what he’d do with it? Why give him anything at all if you were that concerned about how he would spend it that you followed him to see what he’d do with it?

pwurple wrote: »
    So em.
    Anyway. Totally Bizarre and tbh, had a good look at what I was wearing and if I appeared to be a wino! Thanks for the sugar bomb lady. Didn't need the dosh either. Was that you?

I know it wasn’t your main point but you kinda reminded me that when I was homeless, I tried to look like I wasn’t too :pac:

But honestly about the whole giving food to the homeless thing, at the time it was just me or where my head was at that time, but I wouldn’t take food off anyone who offered because I simply didn’t trust them that they didn’t lace it with something, and that was the first thing I thought of again when you had some random lady offering you donuts. I’d take the money though :D

Reminded me too why I detest chuggers as much as I do, partly because I hate the fact that the bigger charities are hiring students to subject themselves to that shìte, partly because the bigger charities are getting people on CE schemes and all sorts of government schemes which means that Government can massage the unemployment figures (on a scheme = not counted on the live register), but mostly because it’s rare to meet a chugger who genuinely cares about the cause they’re collecting for!

Case in point being the chugger that goes to me one day when I was passing and didn’t give him any money, “Yeah look at ya, you’ve obviously never been homeless!” I get that he was trying to prick a guilty conscience, but I don’t have a guilty conscience so he’d have been a while. Instead I was of a mind to turn around and give him a piece of my mind alright for being so clueless as to make assumptions about people when he couldn’t possibly know anything about them. I was glad my friend was there at the time that told me to leave it, because when I thought about it after I realised the chugger really didn’t actually give a shìte about whether or not I’d known what it was like to be homeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Someone has to bring up the next generation of addicts and criminals, sad but true. Doubt these kids will ever have a chance.

Unless by some miracle I don't see them being destined for anything else.

• Advertisement

I know it wasn’t your main point but you kinda reminded me that when I was homeless, I tried to look like I wasn’t too :pac:

But honestly about the whole giving food to the homeless thing, at the time it was just me or where my head was at that time, but I wouldn’t take food off anyone who offered because I simply didn’t trust them that they didn’t lace it with something, and that was the first thing I thought of again when you had some random lady offering you donuts. I’d take the money though :D

Good point especially for women. I didn't think of that.

Advertisement