Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of advice for Renters

Options
  • 22-06-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Folks I just wanted to give some advice for prospective tenants trying to rent in Dublin.
    I had my apartment up for rent recently after my previous tenant moved out, after 7 years.
    Within 24 hours I had 150 emails, by 36 hours I had well over 200.
    Now I'm sure if you're letting through an agency they 'may' have staff to go through them but a private landlord likely doesn't so here's a few tips.
    I filtered my email and by using simple rules I had set and by doing that I went from 250 down to 20 quickly.

So what's did I cut...
    No full name - cut
    No what you do (job/student/etc.) and where - cut
    No references attached - cut
    No phone number where I can contact you (even though I only took emails) - cut
    No mention of financial proof (you don't need to attach but mention they are available to view) - cut

These are the simplest of things to put in. I'd say 75% of mails I got were no detail bar can I have a time to come look at your apartment.

Once down to nearly 20 I gave all a 20 minute time slot to view, no open viewings (madness they are!).
    On a good note 8 of the 20 got back before the viewing to say they had found somewhere so that's good news for renters!

Next, when viewing, please ask as many questions you can think of. You're going to be staying in my apartment, I want someone who's going to look after it like it was their own place. Oh and don't turn up late if you've a timed appointment, treat it like an interview for a job.
    BTW I was shocked that nearly everyone had cash in envelopes for deposit and first month rent with them. That's madness. I'd recommend contacting the landlord before you go and asking do you really need to bring that. I'm shocked there were so many carrying large sums of cash. With the RTB and registered tenancies these days I would expect everything is bank transfer.

Anyway best of luck and make sure you make that initial list to view or at least give yourself the best chance possible !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

lafors wrote: »
    I'm shocked there were so many carrying large sums of cash. With the RTB and registered tenancies these days I would expect everything is bank transfer.

That's what desperation will do, I suppose; if waving a bundle of cash is what it takes to get a place from some dodgy landlords, then that's what folks are going to bring along just in case, because many can't afford to be picky about their landlord being entirely on the up-and-up when the alternative is homelessness or going broke paying for temporary accommodations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Some renters think they are entitled to get a tenancy. I did the elimination process and made appointments with five prospective tenants. One failed to turn up without any call or text to notify me. A second who stated they were non smokers I saw sitting in their car smoking away while waiting for the time to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

So for first time renters who have a full time job, have the means to pay, etc are cut because they don’t have references? That seem a bit unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

So for first time renters who have a full time job, have the means to pay, etc are cut because they don’t have references? That seem a bit unfair.

In that case I'd say reasonable landlords would take a work and/or character refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They didn't add any details in email....

Just remember not to say no rent allowance...

Or workers only...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

In that case I'd say reasonable landlords would take a work and/or character refs.

Yea that’s true I suppose, I just seems very “no references bye” maybe not taking into account many younger people need to start somewhere and are looking to move out for the first time.
    I had to get a parental guarantor in order to rent my last property, I’m a full time civil servant at grade 3 level and I had to get a parental guarantor! This was in 2016, in 2012 I wasn’t even asked for references :rolleyes:

It’s insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm out of the renting game thankfully but I suppose you need to treat it like a job application - give the person reading zero chance to count you out at the early stages, give them more than they could want. Shows you're conscientious, have attention to detail and are mature and know what's what.

Advertisement