Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Work out what age you'll be next time there's a summer World Cup.

F*ck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

23 years ago today Veronica Guerin was murdered. Where did that time go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Woke up on Sunday and was enjoying laying in bed, then remembered a geranium that had been looking like it might flower and that I'd repotted something else and got all excited and jumped out of bed to go and look at them.

Getting excited about new socks.

Getting excited about having new cleaning products to use and how they might compare to the ones I've previously used.

Setting my alarm and seeing that I have more than 8.5 hours in which to sleep and my brain reacting like I've won the lotto.

Life's still very exciting, it just would have seemed boring to 18 year old me!

ALL of the above :D

Plus seeing young people who are effortlessly fit and lean and internally screaming "I WAS ONCE LIKE YOU"

Also looking out the window in the morning and internally screaming "OOOH GREAT DAY FOR DRYING"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lower back pain :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,548 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When there's these big sell out acts on TV and you haven't a clue who they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

needing to wear reading glasses. have several of those cheap ready reader glasses around the house, in the car, the gardenshed - and still can never find a pair when I need them.

Getting invites to your friends kids weddings, I remember them being born.

Doing stuff that my mother used to do and she used to annoy me eg checking receipts after shopping, trying to remember where I parked my car in the car park, talking about the weather.

I used to think that people who didn't go out for work nights especially freebie nights were boring oul ****es and now I can't be bothered going on them myself.

Choosing to go to old men pubs so that I don't have to get dolled up to head into town.

fryup wrote: »
    lower back pain :o

...and may i also add..developing a fat face, spare tyre around the belly....and (for me)
    man tits
    :o

going to the beach isn't what it used to be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

fryup wrote: »
    ...and may i also add..developing a fat face, spare tyre around the belly....and (for me)
    man tits
    :o

going to the beach isn't what it used to be :(

Eating too many fry ups ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

my daughter @10 didn't want to go roller skating with me cause of my age ... I'll wait now for her to be same height as I am before asking again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I used to run 5k in about 20 mins, and found it so easy the biggest pain was having to have a shower and that before doing anything else.

Ran 5k last night. Took nearly half an hour, and today I'm walking like Ozzy Osbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

1. Finding a boardsie to swap 2 standing tickets to Muse for 2 seated tickets. Met outside the gig both with our respective other halves and as soon as we swapped and walked off I'm sure we both turned around and muttered "sucker"

2. At said gig feeling chuffed, proceeded to buy popcorn, Sprite and a tangle twister to enjoy in seated bliss. 5 years previous at same gig was standing under the influence with green room after gig access and still managed to find a boozer later still serving

3. Talked to the mrs about number 3 and already I've forgot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Watching Glastonbury on the telly and thinking this is much better than being there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That cure song about feeling old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Watching footballs greatest on Sky, Ian Rush is the subject, f*ck, he’s looking old I wonder how old he is ? Wikipedia says 57, I can remember the guy watching him live in FA cup finals etc... scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

The fact I won't stay in a pub where I can't get a seat :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Looking at the Glastonbury crowd at the cure and wondering just what percentage were born when lullaby was released.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No longer needing an alarm clock because my bladder always wakes me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I don't know if it's early middle-age or if it's serious, but I'm finding my joints are getting clicky, especially my knees, hips and fingers. I get back aches etc etc. I just get random aches and twangs now which I never did in my 20s.

Went to the GP and I think he just thought I'm moaning, so I just am trying to hit the gym more and change footwear and just do yoga and stuff to loosen them out but I guess I'm just starting to wear out **feck**

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't know if it's early middle-age or if it's serious, but I'm finding my joints are getting clicky, especially my knees, hips and fingers. I get back aches etc etc. I just get random aches and twangs now which I never did in my 20s.

Went to the GP and I think he just thought I'm moaning, so I just am trying to hit the gym more and change footwear and just do yoga and stuff to loosen them out but I guess I'm just starting to wear out **feck**

wait until you get to the stage where you sound like a transformer when you get up from a chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

dan1895 wrote: »
    I work with a lad who wasn't born last time Ireland played in a world cup. I watched the Spain match in a pub and went drinking for the day afterwards. I was older then than he is now.

If it’s any consolation, I remember World Cup qualifying matches from the 70s. My first memory of an Ireland match is probably the European qualifier in 74 against USSR when Liam Brady made his debut and Don Givens scores a hat trick. I remember coming home from school and listening to it on the radio. Yep, that’s right it wasn’t even televised live! Unthinkable now.

trashcan wrote: »
    If it’s any consolation, I remember World Cup qualifying matches from the 70s. My first memory of an Ireland match is probably the European qualifier in 74 against USSR when Liam Brady made his debut and Don Givens scores a hat trick. I remember coming home from school and listening to it on the radio. Yep, that’s right it wasn’t even televised live! Unthinkable now.

I remember coming home from primary school and awaiting eagerly for RTE 1 & 2 to come on air. They didn't broadcast until around 4pm fro memory. Just fuzzy noise up to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

My barber being the same age as my little sister.
    Also my little sister getting ready to start year 2 of college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I had to explain to someone what a CallCard was and he still didn’t get why I didn’t just use my mobile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I found it slightly jarring when I first realized that most of the professional footballers I watch on TV were now younger than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Remembering where I was on 9/11, almost 18 years have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We had an intern from UL on our (4 person) team a while back. Me and the other lads were getting nostalgic about USA 94 and where we where when Houghton scored against the Italians. I asked the new guy for his memories of the tournament and he just laughed and said "shure I wasnt even born, lads".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

I remember remarking to a young girl in the office one day that Brian Leniham Junr was really starting to resemble his father. When she looked at me blankly I realized “You don’t remember his father, do you ?” Nope. That’s about 12/13 years ago, and that made me feel old then !!!

I came out of our office a few years back and who was topping up the parking meter only Barry McGuigan. Said hello and got a bit star struck. Came back into our office all excited "Guess who I bumped into? BARRY McGUIGAN".

Cue blank stares form my millenial work mates.

• Advertisement

when Voltarol is your go to ointment every morning

Advertisement