Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

My first computer was 4.77Mhz, 256Kb of ram and had no hard drive and to run "Turbo C" I had to swap two 3.5" floppy disks one which had the executable program and the others which had the libraries and includes on the "B:" drive.

https://oldcrap.org/2018/03/11/schneider-euro-pc/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Harvest Moon came out 20 years after Harvest. Harvest seemed like a life time away when Harvest Moon came out.

It's now 27 years since Harvest Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My first computer was 4.77Mhz, 256Kb of ram and had no hard drive and to run "Turbo C" I had to swap two 3.5" floppy disks one which had the executable program and the others which had the libraries and includes on the "B:" drive.

3.5" floppy drives? how very modern

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The rule is after you are 30, it,s impossible to be cool,
    there,s no point in trying to keep up with the latest trends in fashion,or music,its a waste of time and energy .
    relax , do,nt even try .
    Someone needs to invent a new social media website,
    once you are 30, you click a button, move my data to facebook,
    or erase my data .
    The advantage of getting old is , you are allowed to be yourself,
    unless you are on tv,or a pop singer,
    just do whatever, there is no point in buying the latest cloth,s or sneakers,
    in a few months they are no longer cool .
    Theres no point in resisting it its human nature .
    There,s a survey ,it says most people stop listening to new music
    when they reach the age of 25.
    Then they starting buying cds, from the bands they like,
    or they listen to classic stations like nova fm.
    I dont think most real young people can afford to buy bt headphones
    or yeezy sneakers,
    They spend money on rent, or drink .

that would make a great movie,
    joe goe,,s to college at the age of 40 .
    he trys to wear the latest cloth,s and sneakers.
    See how the real young students react to him.
    It could be hilarious .
    it could star vince vaughn and owen wilson .

Since fashion trends and music constantly changes ,its impossible to
    keep up with it.
    All the cool people who went to raves in the 90,s
    are probably working in retail or in IT .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the fact many other people are younger than me - that sh!t makes me feel old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm the same age as you but just had to google them. Wtf?! You actually bought those?

As a dare ;)
    They are very very comfy tho, seriously!

I'll stick to Ultraboost from now on tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My younger brother is nearly 20 years younger than me...which is a generation.

A few months back I was back home for a family birthday in a particular town that I socialized in quite a bit from say, 1996-2001. There was a load of pubs and two busy nightclubs at the time. The town is now dead with most of the old haunts closed and one nightclub which is open sporadically which is now beyond grim.

I was telling my brother (now 21) this about the two clubs and pubs etc and the great craic and he just burst out laughing at me. He refused to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

My younger brother is nearly 20 years younger than me...which is a generation.

A few months back I was back home for a family birthday in a particular town that I socialized in quite a bit from say, 1996-2001. There was a load of pubs and two busy nightclubs at the time. The town is now dead with most of the old haunts closed and one nightclub which is open sporadically which is now beyond grim.

Same, few weeks back myself and mrs spin were child-free for a night (a very rare thing), so decided to have a night out, went for dinner and then the 'cool' pub in town for a few, talk about a seismic change, 10 years back you would hardly be able to get in the door, we walked in and it was practically empty - seats and all!!!
    Was talking to the bar man (young fella) and he said it had been a good night, busy, wtf, times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

maccored wrote: »
    the fact many other people are younger than me - that sh!t makes me feel old

That wears off when you realise that EVERYONE is younger than you are! Trust me on that...takes on a different tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My first "PC" was one of these ...

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=333

Twin 8" floppies, that at least were actually floppy! The thing weighed an absolute ton as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Alun wrote: »

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=333

Twin 8" floppies, that at least were actually floppy! The thing weighed an absolute ton as well.

Yes when they were literally floppy and the world would end if you touched the middle with your finger...:eek:

Alun wrote: »

You're all fierce posh.
    My first computer had 1k of ram.
    Sinclaire zx81

I got a 16k ram pack for it so it could actually do some stuff.

You're all fierce posh.
    My first computer had 1k of ram.
    Sinclaire zx81

I got a 16k ram pack for it so it could actually do some stuff.

Phtttt, I had a C64, it came with 64kb!

bladespin wrote: »
    Phtttt, I had a C64, it came with 64kb!

That was probably colour too.
    Posh git

Posh git

Twas, had 16 like :D

The zx81 was a right pile of shlte really.
    The 16k colour Spectrum was just out and I got the zx81.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Posh git

I had mine with a B/W TV altho I did have the 5.25" floppy drive aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That when Danny Glover was "too old for this ****" in Lethal Weapon he was considerably younger than i am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

When you catch your reflection in a shop window and legit see a middle aged person staring back at you.

Today I saw a rather muscular nail clippers that looked like it would actually cut my partners toenails without tearing them off at the edges. So I bought it and thought to myself that he'd be pleased with that. Ten years ago I never foresaw an occasion where nail clippers would please me. I also bought a cleaning product I was mildly excited to try out.

So, this is my life now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Candie wrote: »
    Today I saw a rather muscular nail clippers that looked like it would actually cut my partners toenails without tearing them off at the edges. So I bought it and thought to myself that he'd be pleased with that. Ten years ago I never foresaw an occasion where nail clippers would please me. I also bought a cleaning product I was mildly excited to try out.

So, this is my life now. :(

Lol , terrible isn't it ?
    Wait until you start looking at shoes thinking , hmmm , comfort and ease over style :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Unexplained aches and pains, creaking joints and looking forward to the weekend to relax, instead of partying.

Younger me would have been disgusted by current me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

When you have to explain who the Hooters were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

The zx81 was a right pile of shlte really.
    The 16k colour Spectrum was just out and I got the zx81.

Zinda, his face black, his eyes red

When you can see your friends visibly ageing and have to admit that the same is happening to yourself..when you have to get your foundation into crevices on face..when someone in work emails photos to everyone of work nights out from years ago and we all look hot and young..fcuk it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

My oldest sister is turning 50 next year! Tbh, she looks & acts 10 years younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Lol , terrible isn't it ?
    Wait until you start looking at shoes thinking , hmmm , comfort and ease over style :D

I already do this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Autosport wrote: »
    I already do this :D

Still hobbling on that ankle though! :pac:

Duvet, you post reminded me of meeting someone I hadn't seen in about 10 years. I told a friend about how surprised I was at how much they'd aged. She pointed out that they must have thought the same about me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    When you catch your reflection in a shop window and legit see a middle aged person staring back at you.

I wish! Wait until you reach my age! Who is that wrinkly? OH NO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When footballers younger than you start retiring...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement