Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

When your eldest child starts secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I know it might be obvious but in a few months time the first people born this century will no longer be teenagers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

LenWoods wrote: »
    When your eldest child starts secondary school

That makes you feel old? What - Late 30s or early 40s? Wait until they are getting married or having kids and then maybe, just maybe, you'll feel older then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Graces7 wrote: »
    I wish! Wait until you reach my age! Who is that wrinkly? OH NO!
    What age is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It was ebays birthday this week. I'm double it's age!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When you are older than the Taoiseach...only a few months but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What's going on here is we're overestimating our sense of self as a country. Of course Ireland has contributed to the world but so have many countries. Irish aren't the only emigrant group in the UK and in a multicultural society, the Irish nowdays are just pretty much samey to most British. It's a bit weird they know nothing but what do Irish people know of French history? Like actually really know. I'd gather most Irish don't know charlamegne.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

people born in 2006 starting secondary school

Theo Walcott being in his 30s

explaining to kids how we used to have to tape songs off the radio

my nephew not knowing how to use a windy down window in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Working in a Summer camp a couple of years ago I brought some of the kids out to take photos, handed them some disposable cameras, they looked at them confused wondering were the screen was and didnt know how to use them, literally had to give them a tutorial on how to use disposable cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What's going on here is we're overestimating our sense of self as a country. Of course Ireland has contributed to the world but so have many countries. Irish aren't the only emigrant group in the UK and in a multicultural society, the Irish nowdays are just pretty much samey to most British. It's a bit weird they know nothing but what do Irish people know of French history? Like actually really know. I'd gather most Irish don't know charlamegne.

Wrong thread methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wrong thread methinks.

old people can get confused more than younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Working in a Summer camp a couple of years ago I brought some of the kids out to take photos, handed them some disposable cameras, they looked at them confused wondering were the screen was and didnt know how to use them, literally had to give them a tutorial on how to use disposable cameras.
    Those cameras are reloaded with film (and battery if necessary), repackaged and resold.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m now ‘A Person Who Can Newly Vote’ years past sitting my Leaving Cert. The September 11th attacks are also ‘A Person Who Can Newly Vote’ years ago.

^^^^ I was 17 when both those things happened. They happened longer ago than the age I was when they happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

John Lennon will be 40 years dead next year.
    4 decades.
    And I remember when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Looked at myself earlier in the mirror hadn't shaved since yesterday morning. Made me a bit sad, my kids will only know me as a(fairly) old man.
    I thought i was ageing well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

when the traffic in town stops when I hover at the pavement.... There are good things about this ageing!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Graces7 wrote: »
    when the traffic in town stops when I hover at the pavement.... There are good things about this ageing!.

when the traffic in town stopped when I was walking along the pavement, miniskirt, tight top, long blonde hair and all .... and when you realise that this was really a very long time ago. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Corrs are singing We're So Young on the radio.

And I'm thinking... not anymore. Plus I'm listening to RTE Gold and that song was from the last century.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Carry wrote: »
    when the traffic in town stopped when I was walking along the pavement, miniskirt, tight top, long blonde hair and all .... and when you realise that this was really a very long time ago. :pac:

wait until you have to use a walking aid...

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

r/lostredditors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Carry wrote: »
    I can still stop traffic when I go out in my miniskirt and tight top.

Mind you, I'm a fifty-something bloke carrying a few more kgs than I really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

When i see arenas full of people watching other people playing computer games I realise I'm past it

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

House down the road was being cleared out and on top of the pile was an old Ferguson 21" B/W TV, rows of push buttons and the speaker cabinet on the side. My mate and myself were reminiscing about these things when a 20 year old lad joined us. After a moment or two looking at it he says: "What the hell is that?"
    We hobbled off to get the bus into town with our free travel passes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

That the first Sony Walkman portable cassette player came out 40 years ago.

Hunchback wrote: »
    When i see arenas full of people watching other people playing computer games I realise I'm past it

My 97 year old uncle who has vascular dementia lives for his simple computer games, like solitaire. He is bed bound so this is his outlet, my late aunt having got their children's passed-on technology when they upgraded. It has proved a blessing. Technology is great for the elderly and incapacitated.

My 97 year old uncle who has vascular dementia lives for his simple computer games, like solitaire. He is bed bound so this is his outlet, my late aunt having got their children's passed-on technology when they upgraded. It has proved a blessing. Technology is great for the elderly and incapacitated.

Not anywhere near 97 but I share the pleasure of solitaire here online in all its forms as I am often bedbound for parts of the day now. In between knitting etc. Keeping the mind active...this new computer has a rich selection!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

My joints.

Stupid internet dances.

Kids walking around in Ninja t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Shaved bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

That the first Sony Walkman portable cassette player came out 40 years ago.

Now that makes me feel old. :o

I had a bout of house clearing a short while ago and found my old walkman, plus a rather cumbersome fax machine. Went all to the local recycling centre. Can't have that in the house. People might think I'm old ... :cool:

• Advertisement

Oh and the food forum and the food threads here! All the foreign stuff when all I am used to is the older things. rice and pasta? No thank you! curry? yukk! Mixed up messes!

Advertisement