Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Suckler wrote: »
    I remember a lad giving away his CD's as mini-disc was going to revolutionise music. Cars would come with mini disc players instead of CD players etc. etc. He spent a fortune on the stuff at the time.

The only thing minidisc ever really seemed to take off for was for backing tracks for gigging musicians.
    It was one of the most popular pieces of extra kit for that back in the day.

Had a Walkman version myself and just gave up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Not only remembering pre-smartphones
    Remembering pre-internet
    Remembering pre-PCs
    Remembering pre-TVs

And finally, remembering pre-decimalisation.

Feck I'm old.

And on a recent holiday realising that it only takes 8 years for a generation gap. The people 8 years older and younger than me were definitely in different generations to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

‘Timofte against Bonner...’ Those 3 words that set up a wonderful event burnt into millions of brains.

TWENTY NINE years ago today?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Someone at work asked me a few weeks back what I was at for the weekend and I excitedly replied that I was going to a Smashing Pumpkins concert, there were 3 interns in the room and none of them had any idea who the Smashing Pumpkins were :o

Went to the gig and was appalled at the idea that there was a seating area in the arena and wondered to myself why on earth anyone would want to be seated at a Smashing Pumpkins concert, two hours later I was looking up at those same seats with such jealousy and regret!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Chemical brothers - hey boy hey girl..... 20 years old this month.. now i feel old :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So many comments about things in cars!

Im lucky in that my car didnt have rear seatbelts, up to about 3 years ago (I put them in myself). Manual wind windows on the front (hinge opening on the rear), manual choke, no radio, no cigarette lighter socket and 1 speed wipers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My niece looking at me like i had two heads when i told her we didn't have a phone in our house when we were kids. She wanted to know how we got on to the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Being pleased that a song you thought was 25 years old is really only 22 years old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I was one year old when Elvis died. Now I'm a year older than he was at the time of his death.

I'm slightly younger than you.

A friend sent me a link to one of those Birthday Info sites on my birthday, it told me the time gap between the day of my birth and today is greater than the gap between the day of my birth and the day Hitler invaded Poland! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm slightly younger than you.

A friend sent me a link to one of those Birthday Info sites on my birthday, it told me the time gap between the day of my birth and today is greater than the gap between the day of my birth and the day Hitler invaded Poland! :eek::eek:

whippersnapper. It wont be long before the gap between my date of birth and today is greater than the gap between my date of birth and the end of world war 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Bones cracking when you move from a sitting down position to standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

whippersnapper. It wont be long before the gap between my date of birth and today is greater than the gap between my date of birth and the end of world war 1.

Pfft.:D
    The gap between my date of birth and today is greater than the gap between my date of birth and the birth of Mao Zedong, Aldous Huxley, Edward VIII, Harold Macmillan and Nikita Kruschchev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Your 2nd child graduating primary school from the same place you went yourself

BobMc wrote: »
    Your 2nd child graduating primary school from the same place you went yourself
    The fact that children graduate primary school! We just left!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When you enjoy a good sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Robbie Keane, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard etc becoming coaches and managers. I'm around the same age and it seems only like yesterday when these guys were bursting onto the scene as teenagers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When clothes are purchased for practicality over style

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

When 1998 is the exact amount of time away as 2030...
    sonic is over 20 years old :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When those you match with on online dating have it written in their profile, "all my kids are over 18".
    Or as happened, I matched with a 39 year old grandmother.

Not ready for that at 40!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Bones cracking when you move from a sitting down position to standing.

And those groaning/ shouting noises people make standing up. I always assumed they were basically deliberate. Nope, they just happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

When you finally 'get' the reason for slippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

bear1 wrote: »

Emmmm, 98 is further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

bear1 wrote: »

Try 2040!!

NOW you feel old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Collecting the pension and then spending it all on cough drops and Werthers original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

When you finally 'get' the reason for slippers.

The reason for slippers is the ability to walk on Lego pieces in a dark room without waking up kids ;)

When you are thinking about the sand that you'll have to clean up before the trip to the beach has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

razorblunt wrote: »
    Emmmm, 98 is further.

Ara ****

"LLewellen wrote:
    And finally, remembering pre-decimalisation.
    ha, this reminds me of my late dad.

To determine whether a price was good value, he'd first convert it into punts and then back into pre-decimal.

"9 pounds and 90 pence and thruppence for a burnt burger? Why you could hire a man for a week on that, in my day"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard etc becoming coaches and managers. I'm around the same age and it seems only like yesterday when these guys were bursting onto the scene as teenagers.

When you stood at first division matches. Having queued up for half an hour and paid at the turnstile.
    When you remember Jimmy Greaves, Mick Channon, Martin Peters playing etc and thought anyone who remembered seeing Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse, Jackie Carey playing etc must be very old.

Remembering the names of old stadiums doesn’t help, Ayrsome, Roker, Baseball Ground, Maine Road etc etc

Advertisement