Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you fail the Leaving Cert?

• 22-06-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I heard that if you fail 3 subjects other than maths, Irish and English, your leaving Cert doesn't count at all? Is this true? I'm doing a PLC and one of the requirements is to get a pass in maths and English which is fine but it also says that I have to have a leaving cert. At first I thought this just meant I had to sit my exams but I had someone tell me differently.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PLC generally require 'Leaving Cert. standard'.
    There are plenty people on PLC courses who did not get round to sitting the exam, for one reason or another.

5 passes in LC at any level is considered 'passing' the LC, though that term is kind of outdated now.

Your particular PLC may require a particular grade or level in certain subjects, that is a local issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 usernmae1324

Thanks for the reply.

One of the requirements for my PLC is to get a minimum of a grade D in maths and English which is pretty self-explanatory.

The other requirement is "applicants must have a leaving certificate, LCA or equivalent"

What does it mean to "have" a leaving cert in this case? Does it just mean that I need to have sat the exams?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In that case I think they probably mean 5 passes at any level, including your Maths and English.

There isn't really any pass or fail anymore, but 5 passes at any level is taken as LC standard.

Talk to your PLC college once the results are out, because it won't be the end of the world if you don't get 5 passes, but if you are able to pass Maths and English, I think you're probably able to pass three others.

Don't spend the summer worrying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 usernmae1324

I sent them an e-mail. Hopefully i'll get to know soon enough.
    How strict are they usually about the requirements? I have a friend who went to the same PLC college and he only sat one exam for his Leaving Cert. He's doing art though and I heard they only care about your portfolio.

I sent them an e-mail. Hopefully i'll get to know soon enough.
    How strict are they usually about the requirements? I have a friend who went to the same PLC college and he only sat one exam for his Leaving Cert. He's doing art though and I heard they only care about your portfolio.

A great deal depends on the impression they get of you in interview.
    Some places and courses are stricter than others.
    Clearly something aiming toward a university course with a strong Maths component would need to be more strict on the Maths requirement, while other courses could afford not to be. It varies a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement