Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a gift voucher and restaurant has closed

Options
  • 22-06-2019 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

I bought a €100 gift voucher two weeks ago from a long established restaurant and heard three days ago on the radio that they had closed for good. It was announced in a Facebook post, just thanking customers and saying that they had closed, no explanation or other information given. According to someone on Facebook staff turned up to work and couldn't get in, it that's true it was totally out of the blue as far as everyone but the owners were concerned.

My sympathies to them as it must be awful to be forced to close a business you've loved for years, but I'm still trying to figure out if I have any recourse.

The voucher was bought with cash as their credit card terminal wasn't working so no comeback there (the cynic in me is suspicious they knew something was up, hopefully not).

I believe I have to register as an unsecured creditor somewhere, but don't have a clue how this process works. I know it's unlikely I'll see anything but might as well try.

Pity they didn't provide more information, if they had explained they were in financial difficulty or something I'd be more inclined to leave it, but I have no idea what happened. They could have just got bored with running the place for all I know.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it was reported on the radio and they posted on their FB page, why the reluctance to name the place? It's a matter of fact so no worries about defamation.

You'll need to find if the company has gone into liquidation in which case you'd lodge your claim with the liquidator. But as you said, you are an unsecured creditor and the employees and Revenue will be ahead of you in the queue so you'll probably end up with nothing.

If they have not gone into liquidation, you need to write to them asking for a refund. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

coylemj wrote: »
    If it was reported on the radio and they posted on their FB page, why the reluctance to name the place? It's a matter of fact so no worries about defamation.

You'll need to find if the company has gone into liquidation in which case you'd lodge your claim with the liquidator. But as you said, you are an unsecured creditor and the employees and Revenue will be ahead of you in the queue so you'll probably end up with nothing.

If they have not gone into liquidation, you need to write to them asking for a refund. Good luck with that.
    No particular reason to not name the place but didn't feel the need to either? They were selling gift cards right up to the day they closed and I'm suspicious about them refusing credit cards, wondering out loud if they might have been dishonest so probably best not to name.

Cheers for that, it's there a list where they publicise liquidatons or do you just have to look out for an announcement in the paper?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got a Zavvi gift voucher as a small present years ago from my sister. It was only €20 but my sister was only a teenager at the time and didn't have a lot of money. I was going mad they took money off her when they were going out of business. For an amount that small I usually would have just left it go but I was so annoyed by it I followed up with it. I got a form to complete from the liquidator if I remember. I think I sent the voucher off to them with the form (this was about 10 years ago). I got a cheque in the post a year later for €13.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zavvi was an odd situation where the company was forced in to liquidation by a supply-chain issue (namely Woolworths going under and taking EUK with it) when it was mostly still viable hence they actually had the cash to pay out to many unsecured creditors. Less likely to be the situation here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am guessing you are talking about a Cork restaurant? I am afraid it is unlikely you will get anything back. I am not sure if a liquidator is going to be appointed. Might be worth walking past to see if there is a note in the window or keep an eye on the newspapers for a notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Miaireland wrote: »
    I am guessing you are talking about a Cork restaurant? I am afraid it is unlikely you will get anything back. I am not sure if a liquidator is going to be appointed. Might be worth walking past to see if there is a note in the window or keep an eye on the newspapers for a notice.
    That's a good shout, I might pop in later and take a look!

Advertisement