Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for Steaming/Video editing and some gaming

Options
  • 22-06-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking about getting a new PC for the last while, but am completely out of touch so would appreciate any advice you can give!

1. What is your budget? Around 1500, if less great but even have some wiggle room to go above.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? I make youtube videos, do a bit of streaming every now and again (never games so far, mainly coding , but maybe in the future) and some games (nothing hectic, Rainbox 6 Seige, Overwatch etc)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?

Here is my current PC. While there are a couple of things I maybe could take, I think I'm just going to leave that as one complete machine and start fresh.

5. Do you need a monitor? Maybe in the future, currently have one of those old Catleap 27" 1440p screen, it still going alright so I'll probably keep it for now. Second monitor is an even older old Dell 24" 1080p

5a. If yes, what size do you need. NA for now

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] I would consider upgrading them in the future, what would people recommend

6. Do you need any peripherals? Not right now

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Sure why now.

8. How can you pay? Paypal/CC

9. When are you purchasing? I think I'm flexible with this too, my current PC had been running ok , but seems to be a bit slower the last few weeks, and has been impacting me. (Maybe a reinstall would buy me some time) If there is something I should hold out for please let me know!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should be ok

Other Notes:

This PC will be under my desk in the room I work from home a lot, it doesn't need to be super quiet, but definitely don't want a jumbo jet

I'm not opposed to buying wherever, but I do have Amazon prime at the moment so that works out pretty nicely.

The webcams I use for steaming (c920) need to be on two different buses (I think), in my current PC I use the onboard bus and a PCI express card (I think anyways). I may even consider adding a third in the future, not sure if that would require some special thinking.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wait for Ryzen 2 (3000-series) / new AMD RX 5700 / Nvidia RTX Super series, all releasing in early July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yup, ^that. Basically.

All of that will be released on July 7th, with the exception of NVIDIA's Super (rumoured date for this is between the 2nd and the 9th).
    Give it a few days for reviews to filter through, follow-up testing to be done, and we should have a solid idea where things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks Guys, I'll be back to annoy you in the middle of July so :)

Hello all,

Looks like a good time to jump back into this, I've come up with the following:
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£142.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: *Crucial - P1 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£94.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (£437.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1240.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 13:44 BST+0100

So many things I dont have a clue what I'm doing with.

Processor: 3700X doesnt ship to Ireland for some reason. The 3800X isnt actually much more expensive so I wonder would I be better going for this anyways? there doesn't seem to be any benchmarks on the 3800x yet.

Mobo: No idea! I know I should be able to upgrade the bios on this anyways

GFX: Again, no idea. What would people recommend?

RAM: Is this ok?

PSU: Seems ok power wise, and has decent reviews. Happy to take suggestions though EDIT: Actually the 750w version is the same price...

Appreciate any advise you can give!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Hello all,

Looks like a good time to jump back into this, I've come up with the following:

So many things I dont have a clue what I'm doing with.

Processor: 3700X doesnt ship to Ireland for some reason. The 3800X isnt actually much more expensive so I wonder would I be better going for this anyways? there doesn't seem to be any benchmarks on the 3800x yet.

Mobo: No idea! I know I should be able to upgrade the bios on this anyways

GFX: Again, no idea. What would people recommend?

RAM: Is this ok?

PSU: Seems ok power wise, and has decent reviews. Happy to take suggestions though EDIT: Actually the 750w version is the same price...

Appreciate any advise you can give!

You can probably ship via parcel motel in NI to bypass that shipping restriction

• Advertisement

jebidiah wrote: »
    You can probably ship via parcel motel in NI to bypass that shipping restriction

It's even not shipping to NI! I suppose I could use postpal or whatever thats called, but I would probably just jump to the 3800x rather than taking the risk of shipping something so expensive through it

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£142.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Corsair - MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£149.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (£437.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: RIOTORO - ENIGMA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£72.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £1282.76
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 22:15 BST+0100

Ryzen 3800X has higher out-of-the-box clockspeeds, no one is sure yet if it's actually better though.

For just a bit more, you can get the Corsair MP510 which has nearly double the write/read speed & better lifespan.

PSU: Riotoro Enigma G2 is the exact same PSU as the Seasonic, just cheaper due to brand name.

GPU: RTX 2060 & 2070 Super release tomorrow AFAIK - either get 2060 Super (same performance as original 2070) or 2070 Super (same performance as original 2080).

Ended up going for the 3700x with a 2070 super, looking forward to it! Case won't be here til week after next though .. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ended up going for the 3700x with a 2070 super, looking forward to it! Case won't be here til week after next though .. :(

3700X was the better purchase looking at the differences between the 3600 and 3600X.

As for a lack of case, you get a free open air test bench with the motherboard, use that. (The box :pac:)

3700X was the better purchase looking at the differences between the 3600 and 3600X.

As for a lack of case, you get a free open air test bench with the motherboard, use that. (The box :pac:)

I was really sitting on the fence about it, but the lack of reviews of the 3800x and the estimated delivery of over 2 weeks away swayed me!

I picked up the CPU, Card (Zotac) and SSD from Overclockers, first time using them. I love how their cheapest shipping is DPD (who would be my preferred courier). I find it weird that they seem to use "Pre-Order" for everything though, for example the card I bought at the weekend is now a pre-order item :confused:

Yeah I think I will end up doing that actually, even just to upgrade the mobo bios just to confirm it actually works with the new ryzens (some people are reporting issues).

I think I actually have a spare Antec 300 case floating around somewhere, that might be a little neater than open air test bench :)

• Advertisement

I'm having major issues with the Tomahawk, my only piece of advice is leave it for a good while and it may eventually post. Mine takes the guts of 5 minutes.

I literally came back here to add an edit about the Tomahawk, I'm not at all convinced that I'm going to have a good time.

5 minute posts every time you boot up?! That is madness

I wonder am I better off returning it immediately , the 3700x is a supported CPU on the Tomahawks MSI page, but I would not count 5 minute post times as acceptable

Try it out yourself IMHO

Sam might just be unlucky.
    Or a new BIOS could have it sorted.

I haven't built anything yet but I may have hit a potential banana skin, my catleap monitor accepts dual link DVI only iirc, and no modern graphics cards seem to support that! So I think I either need to buy a £50 adapter or buy a new monitor....

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

I'm having major issues with the Tomahawk, my only piece of advice is leave it for a good while and it may eventually post. Mine takes the guts of 5 minutes.

Hi, I'm new to all this so forgive if this is a bit too simplistic.

I've ordered up a Tomahawk MB as part of my first build and made a mistake in the RAM I ordered. On the face of it the Corsair Vengence DDR4 3000 16GB kit - https://amzn.to/2JXpVp9 - looked identical to those offered in pre assembled bundles but after checking with the MSI support page (yes after I ordered from Amazon!) I spotted this particular model isn't supported, dozens of other Corsair kits are though.

I'm wondering if this might be the case here? I ended up going for HyperX 3200 as that paticular version is also approved in all 4 DIMM slots - which doesn't seem to be the case with all compatible RAM.

My bits should be here mid week so I can confirm then that the POST times are normal or not.

I've HyperX RAM also which is a supported kit, not that I checked that when ordering either :pac:

Edit: It's actually VGA debug where it seems to be having issues - I've seen a few people on reddit with a similar issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It doesn't need to be supported to work. The supported list is just a sort of certified guarantee it definitely works at rated speeds.

I've never bothered with the list, I think in my last few Ryzen builds none of the 3000mhz kits were certified but all worked grand at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

I've never bothered with the list, I think in my last few Ryzen builds none of the 3000mhz kits were certified but all worked grand at that speed.

Thanks - worth noting. I told you I was new to this!

Mcofferon wrote: »
    Thanks - worth noting. I told you I was new to this!

Don't let that put you off.

I haven't built anything yet but I may have hit a potential banana skin, my catleap monitor accepts dual link DVI only iirc, and no modern graphics cards seem to support that! So I think I either need to buy a £50 adapter or buy a new monitor....

Ah man, sorry - I totally forgot about the Catleaps being DVI only :(
    Nvidia doesn't offer DVI past the 2060 Super / 2070 (regular) for RTX cards.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ah man, sorry - I totally forgot about the Catleaps being DVI only :(
    Nvidia doesn't offer DVI past the 2060 Super / 2070 (regular) for RTX cards.

No worries at all, was my bad!

Two things happened regarding this since I last posted, I bought a 27" LG 4k monitor off laptops direct.ie, it has an IPS panel but is only 60hz

A friend of mine had an active convertor left over from an old job so it's currently on its way from the UK at the moment so maybe the catleap will live on as my second monitor for a while yet!

If I could just get the bloody of to boot!

Advertisement