Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referring to users by previous names

Options
  • 22-06-2019 11:35pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭

An issue has come up multiple times and I can't recall seeing an official Admin response to it.

My understanding is that the rule is if a poster changes name on an account, there is no prohibition on using the old name of their account (subscriber benefit, not new account) In times past, previous usernames were listed on the public profile. If this does not happen now it is because admins have gotten out of the habit of doing it I'd say. It may be against the spirit of the name change to refer to someone by their old name, but I don't believe it is actually prohibited.

If on the hand, someone shuts down their account (not to escape a ban) and reregs a new account, it is not permitted for there to be speculation on who their previous account was.

Is this correct? I'm sure some others have views but I'd like an official Admin response please.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I just posted in the Soccer Feedback thread about this

Referring to prior usernames is not against site rules. Referring to prior accounts is if the user has not already acknowledged the prior account

Posts remain searchable on a per user basis and changing a username does not change that. Hence a change of username does not make any kind of break on the account. Posters have every right to be "forgotten" (assuming not reregging to evade a ban) by closing their account (although their posts under the prior account remain visible and part of your site)

We may be able to link prior accounts with our Admin tools but such information, in the vast majority of cases, remains private

Advertisement