Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calathea / Acer help

Options
  • 23-06-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help with 2 issues I’m having. Firstly, my calathea seems to be losing its vibrancy. Should I move it’s location? I’m not sure it’s in direct sunlight, but it’s in a very bright location.

Secondly, my Acer’s leaves are browning? It’s in an enclosed garden so the wind isn’t very strong, but there is some exposure alright I suppose. It’s watered frequently enough. There’s a green acer beside it and it’s not having the same issues.

Thanks in advance.

31668-D94-803-C-4-F3-C-AF24-31-BC3-A084-C83.jpg

49-ED9912-DECA-42-B1-9-E0-A-7-A8762-D37620.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

Over watering would actually be my first suspicion for both, check the compost is dry throughout before you water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Calathea really loves humidity. Surrounded by other plants, and regular gentle watering.

Being out on their own in a bright, dry location really wouldn't suit a Calathea!

My houseplant book says they're only really happy in a terrarium: not strictly true but the principles are a helpful guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not growing any calathea so not sure about what might be wrong with that but I have a red leaved acer that has very similar browning on some of the leaves. I put it down to just a touch of frost damage from a few weeks back. I have mine growing in the ground and it never gets watered so I don't think the marks on the one I have could be related to over watering.

Advertisement