Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Masons, a secret society?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

Lovely shower altogether until God starts talking directly to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I made you a secret video, don't tell the Freemasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There was a documentary a few years ago on them in the UK.

The fly on the wall could only go as far as the closed door on most occasions as they conducted their secret ceremonies.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The fly on the wall could only go as far as the closed door on most occasions as they conducted their secret ceremonies.
    We're always on the lookout for "fresh" blood.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

You are given secret codes for each level you rise to in the organization apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Remove the Stone of Shame!

Attach the Stone of Triumph!

OP, if you do get invited to join make sure to bring a second pair of underwear with you. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Herself had a couple of uncles Masons, it does tend to be more of a Protestant thing around here, but it's open to respectable men of goodwill and of all faiths. Also, gran-daddy bought a big-block Dodge off them for a-runnin' the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Catholic church and IRA back in the day used hate Freemasons, the church thought they were devil worshippers and the RA liked smashing up their meeting places.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Covid19

Beasty wrote: »
    We're always on the lookout for "fresh" blood.....

Not True, I'm afraid. We are not allowed to recruit! However, if you know one and would like to join, just ask.

The Catholic church and IRA back in the day used hate Freemasons, the church thought they were devil worshippers and the RA liked smashing up their meeting places.

Which is ironic, as there are Catholics in Freemasonry. I'm a member and a Catholic.

• Advertisement

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Does being a member offer advantage in the business world? Presume that is a core element, that you make important contacts if you are part of the “club.”

Definitely not. It's good for networking in a general way, but it is frowned upon if this would be your motive for joining.

Only way to join is to be the son of a Freemason or save the life of one

Completely false! If you want to join, just ask one of us. We cannot recruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Check out Simon Covenys handshakes anytime he meets dignitaries

I don't know what a Masonic handshake looks like but allegedly his fit the bill
    I reckon Peter Sutherland was grooming Coveney to become Suds mk 2 before he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They have a centre on Tuckey Street in Cork. What kind of group is it? What do they stand for?

I've been in it, it looked like Harry Potter did their interior design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Who controls the British crown?
    Who keeps the metric system down?
    We do, we do!
    Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
    Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
    We do, we do!
    Who holds back the electric car?
    Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
    We do, we do!
    Who robs cave-fish of their sight?
    Who rigs every Oscar night?
    We do!
    We do!

Just don't go spilling any of their secrets like the late William Morgan!
    https://www.history.com/news/freemason-secrets-revealed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Notable members of Propaganda Due

Giulio Andreotti
    Silvio Berlusconi
    Roberto Calvi
    Maurizio Costanzo
    Umberto Ortolani
    Angelo Rizzoli
    Vito Miceli
    Emilio Eduardo Massera ( organiser of the Argentinian Coup D'etat of 1978 )

Irish Freemasonry is basically a gang of decent phuckers hanging around Molesworth street twice or three times a year ( thrice ). Anyone who reckons it is any more sinister than that is really a clueless fantasist who needs to get a grip.

full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Irish Freemasonry is basically a gang of decent phuckers hanging around Molesworth street twice or three times a year ( thrice ). Anyone who reckons it is any more sinister than that is really a clueless fantasist who needs to get a grip.

full

Or so they would have us believe ....

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Or so they would have us believe ....
    Yeah if there is nothing to hide, then why are they hiding the meetings and ceremonies and members list.
    Everything is streamed live now, get with the times, masons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Trust me please, this is all that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Covid19 wrote: »
    Completely false! If you want to join, just ask one of us. We cannot recruit.

Flat out wrong, you need to re-read our handbook Number 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Flat out wrong, you need to re-read our handbook Number 19.

indeed. Looks like recruitment is in full flow - even more in AH :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Trust me please, this is all that happens.

There is a bit more to it than that.
    TLC Bears? Charity? We just dont feel the need to publicly advertise how much we give. Unlike other charities we do get state assistance and then turn around and bite the hand that helped us. All the big charities get state assistance and take advantage of tax payers monies, get grants and then either blame the government or say it is not enough. It would make you sick when you hear what the CEOs get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have we strayed from curiosity into conspiracy yet?

Are they as bad as the "KNIGHTS" or OPUS DEI?.

Nothing wrong with the Knight of Columbanus, they do fantastic work for their community, particularly in Cork. I would have joined if the opportunity presented it. GL does not comment publicly on political positions where the Knights do. That is no reflection on my opinion of the knights, they are great guys doing great work quietly.

Opus Dei are something else entirely and have nothing in common with any branch of a fraternity I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Nothing wrong with the Knight of Columbanus, they do fantastic work for their community, particularly in Cork. I would have joined if the opportunity presented it. GL does not comment publicly on political positions where the Knights do. That is no reflection on my opinion of the knights, they are great guys doing great work quietly.

Opus Dei are something else entirely and have nothing in common with any branch of a fraternity I have seen.

As do the masons i presume,both are secret societies and the knights certainly meddle in the affairs of the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Different lodges stand for different things.

Some do diff things.

There is not connection between some of them. And there is no over ruling body over them all etc. There are rival factions that don't recognize each other etc.

Some act allegorical plays. Some of these plays are quite old dating back to the days it was part of the medieval crafts guild.

They act out stories. Or some of them do. They give lectures etc.

Some are more into the ritual and symbolism etc than others. They may teach about this during lectures etc.

A lot of it is ..teaching through the veil type things ...indirect ...

Some people think a lot of it grew out of Rosicrucianism.

But it think its more likely they took some ritual from rociscrucianism and actually were around and connected to the older guilds for crafts etc

I get the impression different members have a different understanding of why they are there.

I don't think some of them believe in ANY kind of spiritual stuff at all. Although they are technically required just to believe in a creator...but can be any religion.

I guess they all experience different things. They all believe in diff things. I feel like they are all there or members for diff reasons.

But they are not all connected world wide. They operate kind of separate in each country and even within each country.

Definitely some rites came from the Rosicrucian.

A lot of them were killed under the nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Does being a member offer advantage in the business world? Presume that is a core element, that you make important contacts if you are part of the “club.”

It depends on the lodge ..they are not all connected etc ..but are quite separate ..and lots don't recognize each other.

mm mostly nope

Very few do have a few notable members though. What use it would be to you i don't know though. But that would be the rare lodge ..maybe one in the country out of how many.

And SOME lodges have ZERO interest in networking. Its not what they are into. They do charity and stuff.

Some have a tradition of being full of nobility in the UK. But its like ONE lodge.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_who_were_Freemasons#United_Kingdom

A few kinds in the UK were in lodges

Inevitable they ended up being grandmasters.
    George IV – Grand Master of the Premier Grand Lodge of England, 1790–1813[41]
    William IV[41]
    Edward VII – Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England, 1874–1901[41]
    Edward VIII[41]
    George VI – Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Scotland, 1936–37[4
    Freemasonry does have a rep for nicking rituals from other places. Or getting other groups to make them up for them. Thus the Rosicrucian connection maybe...some of the rituals look VERY similar.

I would say for most lodges there would be no advantage and they are just normal people.

They have yearly charity events etc.

As do the masons i presume,both are secret societies and the knights certainly meddle in the affairs of the nation.

I have seen no evidence of this. Also I am not a member of the Knights of Columbanus but have met a few. All the Knights I have met have been decent and upright guys. They made counter offers but they came too late. I do know Senator Fergal Quinn from the SuperQuinn chain was a Knight Commander. They are not secret societies. They operate in the open and the authorities are informed of the organisations and where they meet. Not the same as an organisation with secrets. You are not allowed used use Lodge to forward your political ideas or such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Different lodges stand for different things.

But they are not all connected world wide. They operate kind of separate in each country and even within each country.

Definitely some rites came from the Rosicrucian.

A lot of them were killed under the nazis.

I think the nazis targeted any group which they viewed as coalescing any type of power and influence. The Masons weren't unique in that respect. The Teutonic Order of Kights were also outlawed under the Nazis even though they used much of the same symbolism to promote their ideas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_Order

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement