Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latvia and Estonia

• 23-06-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Plan on going on a trip this summer to Latvia and Estonia for 15 nights. looking for ideas on places that maybe someone here went.

Plan so far but can change no problem

4 nights Riga (daytrip Jurmala)
    2 nights Sigulda (daytrip cesis)
    2 nights Tartu
    3 nights Tallinn

so few more days to throw in, might day trip to Helsinki when in Tallinn also.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe Stockholm instead of Helsinki?
    Would St. Petersburg be out of the question? It's astonishing.

Jurmala can be expensive. It's where the new Russian money likes to party and they price everyone else out.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

KilOit wrote: »
    Plan on going on a trip this summer to Latvia and Estonia for 15 nights. looking for ideas on places that maybe someone here went.

Plan so far but can change no problem

4 nights Riga (daytrip Jurmala)
    2 nights Sigulda (daytrip cesis)
    2 nights Tartu
    3 nights Tallinn

so few more days to throw in, might day trip to Helsinki when in Tallinn also.

I've been to both, 15 days is a lot for Latvia and Estonia. I'd probably try and squeeze in St. Petersburg if possible or maybe even Vilnius in Lithuania.

Helsinki is very doable from Tallinn. You'll probably see all the Finns on the ferry coming over to Estonia for the cheap booze. There were lads on the ferry going back to Helsinki with hand trucks loaded with slabs of beer. The day trip is well worth it, we had a lovely day strolling around town.

I really enjoyed Jurmala. There's a long narrow beach there and the town is quite pleasant to walk around. Lots of Russian money there. You get the train from Riga, it was very cheap to reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Vilnius is well worth a visit and you have plenty of time to do it. Lovely laid back city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

I've been to both, 15 days is a lot for Latvia and Estonia. I'd probably try and squeeze in St. Petersburg if possible or maybe even Vilnius in Lithuania.

Helsinki is very doable from Tallinn. You'll probably see all the Finns on the ferry coming over to Estonia for the cheap booze. There were lads on the ferry going back to Helsinki with hand trucks loaded with slabs of beer. The day trip is well worth it, we had a lovely day strolling around town.

I really enjoyed Jurmala. There's a long narrow beach there and the town is quite pleasant to walk around. Lots of Russian money there. You get the train from Riga, it was very cheap to reach.

Never even considered St Petersburg, one of those places I wanted to visit at some point, this could be the best time since I'm so near it. Trains seem so cheap. I'll leave Vilnius for now, if I ever go kyiv, Minsk I'll do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go by ferry to avoid the visa, unless you don't need one.
    https://stpeterline.com/en/visa-free-cruises-to-russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you have access to the Good Food Channel the Hairy Bikers' Northern Exposure tour of Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Sweden, Finland, St Petersburg and Poland is on this week around 5pm. The channel is on Sky and possibly Virgin but not freesat. It might be on free to air satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

spurious wrote: »
    Maybe Stockholm instead of Helsinki?
    Would St. Petersburg be out of the question? It's astonishing.

Jurmala can be expensive. It's where the new Russian money likes to party and they price everyone else out.

Photos of Jurmala look great, quaint and fun.

The rooski gangster feel would put me off though.

Helsinki would get my vote ahead of Stockholm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The seaplane museum, and the old jail beside it, are well worth a visit in Tallinn, and within walking distance from the centre, also you could hire a bike and head out to the Olympic stadium, to see some Russian concrete architecture at its worst, and spend the day cycling through the woods and visit some of the beaches just north of the city.

Just back from a quick break in Riga and really loved it. I walked everywhere, Old Town, Art Nouveau quarter, Markets & ghetto, and the lovely parks. There’s a nice boat trip circling the city. Extremely clean city, plenty of public toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

imme wrote: »
    Photos of Jurmala look great, quaint and fun.

The rooski gangster feel would put me off though.

Helsinki would get my vote ahead of Stockholm.
    I did a day trip to Jurmala in 2015 when I was on a short break in Riga.I strongly recommend it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement