Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold car.

Options
  • 23-06-2019 5:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Have a car and just sold it. Am insured on this.

I may not buy a new car for a few weeks as I’m out of country, the have to find a new car etc.

How does insurance work here? Just get my insurance transferred to wife’s car for the interim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Notify your insurer ASAP that the car is sold and suspend your policy until you get a new car. Simple as that really

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d get it off the old car ASAP anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Ok. But I need to be insured to drive the wife’s car.

Edit; I’m actually a named driver on my wife’s insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

treascon wrote: »
    Notify your insurer ASAP that the car is sold and suspend your policy until you get a new car. Simple as that really

+1 you send the disc and cert. back to them and ask them to suspend the policy.

The 'driving other cars' clause in a lot of policies is conditional on you still owing your car and that it's in working order. It would be safe to assume that if you sell your car, your policy becomes inoperative. Not saying that that is definitely the case, just that it would be prudent to assume it is. Check your policy.

Are you not covered to drive your wife's car under her policy?

• Advertisement

Edit; I’m actually a named driver on my wife’s insurance.

So you don't need your policy then. Send the cert and disc back and get it suspended.

ok, now thing is, im heading off on holidays on Wednesday, have hired a car etc.

does me not having insurance on my own car in Ireland have any bearing on this rental car scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

does me not having insurance on my own car in Ireland have any bearing on this rental car scenario?

No

right, so to sum up.

Wife has a car in her name and I am a named driver.
    I am selling my car tomorrow and will 'suspend' the insurance (which is up on the 11th July, 2 weeks or so from now)

I have a full healthy insurance scenario in my own name for the last 20 years, no claims protect and all this carry on.
    When I 'suspend' does this in any way affect the insurance premium in my own name?

Wife has a car in her name and I am a named driver.
    I am selling my car tomorrow and will 'suspend' the insurance (which is up on the 11th July, 2 weeks or so from now)

Yes. It might look like it's not worth your while suspending the policy if there's only 2 or 3 weeks remaining but it will be better to suspend the policy rather than let it lapse and not renew it.
    I have a full healthy insurance scenario in my own name for the last 20 years, no claims protect and all this carry on.
    When I 'suspend' does this in any way affect the insurance premium in my own name?

No, no effect whatsoever. You would need to have no insurance for two years to lose your no-claims discount.

• Advertisement

so ill suspend it starting tomorrow
    and then insured as named driver on wife's insurance.

Even if you didn't suspend your own policy, the 'driving other cars' clause in most policies says that they will only pay out if you're not covered under the car's own policy. So as you are named on her policy, it's that policy that covers you when you drive her car, not your own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Yep.Sounds good.
    As above though,you're no claims bonus does vanish after a couple of years but you've plenty of time before worrying about that.

jut off phone with insurance crowd, told the rep I want to 'suspend' my insurance.
    rep said as my renewal is on 13th July (less than 3 weeks away) its best to let it 'lapse'

asked him again was he sure and he said yes all fine and it wont affect my NCB etc

what do ye think?

jut off phone with insurance crowd, told the rep I want to 'suspend' my insurance.
    rep said as my renewal is on 13th July (less than 3 weeks away) its best to let it 'lapse'

asked him again was he sure and he said yes all fine and it wont affect my NCB etc

what do ye think?

There is no point whatsoever in phoning them, the suspension only takes effect when they get the cert. and disc back.

It's up to you if you want to go ahead.

coylemj wrote: »
    There is no point whatsoever in phoning them, the suspension only takes effect when they get the cert. and disc back.

It's up to you if you want to go ahead.

they said they dont even want the cert and disc back.
    its best just to leave it lapse, spoke to 2 different agents and they both said this.

they said they dont even want the cert and disc back.

That's not what it says in your policy document.
    its best just to leave it lapse, spoke to 2 different agents and they both said this.

Ok but I'd have returned the paper work to save the two weeks. And remember that it's in the insurance company's interests to tell you to let the clock run out so don't think for a minute that that call agent was giving you an honest opinion, that's what he's told to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

The whole point of cancelling the insurance on THAT particular vehicle ie the one you're selling is that in the event of the buyer crashing then YOU have NO liability. You may very well have if you don't.

I appreciate your input. I’m just going on what they tell me. Rang in twice about same thing.

Should I ring in a third time and just say ‘SUSPEND’ the insurance.

lalababa wrote: »
    The whole point of cancelling the insurance on THAT particular vehicle ie the one you're selling is that in the event of the buyer crashing then YOU have NO liability. You may very well have if you don't.

That is totally not correct. Your liability ends when you register the change of ownership, not when you cancel or suspend the policy.

If the OP lets the insurance run and the new owner has a crash next week, the OP has zero liability. Even if the OP does nothing, his policy is effectively inoperative once he sells the car. And you have no liability for a car that you no longer own.

• Advertisement

I appreciate your input. I’m just going on what they tell me. Rang in twice about same thing.

Should I ring in a third time and just say ‘SUSPEND’ the insurance.

I've said on other threads that there isn't much point is phoning a call centre and asking quesitons because you cannot go by what they tell you, it's all in the policy document. Which in all cases says that the policy will only be suspended when they receive the cert and disc.

If I was you, I would post back the cert and disc with a letter saying you want the policy suspended. Why give them those two weeks for free?

I've said on other threads that there isn't much point is phoning a call centre and asking quesitons because you cannot go by what they tell you, it's all in the policy document. Which in all cases says that the policy will only be suspended when they receive the cert and disc.

If I was you, I would post back the cert and disc with a letter saying you want the policy suspended. Why give them those two weeks for free?

yeah, rang them again, was on hold for ages, they humming and hawing, then mentioned a bloody 20 euro admin fee to suspend it.

Im just going to post the disc back. with a header letter
    cant find original cert

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Consult with the insurer.

Consult with the insurer.

I did. As above. 3 times. But they were useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

+1 coylemj above.

Is it not the case anyhow that OP'S motor insurance policy become a nullity once the car is sold on the basis that the subject matter of the insurance has been disposed of and insurable interest ceases at that stage ?

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    +1 coylemj above.

Is it not the case anyhow that OP'S motor insurance policy become a nullity once the car is sold on the basis that the subject matter of the insurance has been disposed of and insurable interest ceases at that stage ?

Yes, that is the case. As I stated in post #22 ....
    Even if the OP does nothing, his policy is effectively inoperative once he sells the car.

Advertisement