Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

nannerby wrote: »
    So will the National marathon champs be moved to another marathon.

Has to be, sure clubs have to get first refusal on a national race surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

robinph wrote: »

They do get to sit on about half a million Euros in their bank account for a couple of months though which must bring in a few more Euros in interest. (€15x30k would be my guess, at most)

most banks are now giving negative interest rates so it will likely cost them money

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

More panic signing up. At least GFA but no times yet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Smacks of trying to add prestige.

Unnecessary imo.

Do i need to join athletics Ireland now ?
    Are KBC customers going to get a preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Has to be, sure clubs have to get first refusal on a national race surely?

Yes was kind of thinking that as well,surely a national champs race cant be a lottery.

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    I think they are doing it pretty well to be honest. The course can't really take any more
    There was Q’s exiting the park into castle knock. That gate certainly can’t take any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

Guards don't get a guaranteed entry. Everyone enters themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Pity to see it gone down this route...have a group of friends around 20 runners who have ran it together the last 6 years and train together. So now it’s seems they have no Guarantee of running it together next year.
    Surely it’s not that prestige of an event that they need a lottery system and the loyalty of previous participants should have come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

"There will be 22,500 places available for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon, with a number of these places allocated to Athletics Ireland membership. Athletics Ireland members will qualify under the Good For Age standards and can apply on April 1st and must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership."

It'll be interesting to see what the GFA times are...surely a lot more lenient than the majors? But by how much?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    "There will be 22,500 places available for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon, with a number of these places allocated to Athletics Ireland membership. Athletics Ireland members will qualify under the Good For Age standards and can apply on April 1st and must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership."

It'll be interesting to see what the GFA times are...surely a lot more lenient than the majors? But by how much?

And how many places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

That's a load of bollox,I have run it every year bar 1,since 2013,yet doesn't mean,feck all to the organisers.
    I am sure I have a good for age,with the sub 3 the other day and turning 45 in a few months.But means nothing,because I am not in a club.
    I do most of my training on a treadmill,what use would I be,to a running club.This is bull****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Entry now 90e and they'll hold on to your 15 euros for 10 months.
    Still cant see whats better this way compared to first come first served

Entry now 90e and they'll hold on to your 15 euros for 10 months.
    Still cant see whats better this way compared to first come first served

Under the old of system 22,500 entries earned them €1.815M. The new system it’s €2.025M

So an extra €210,000. How much do KBC contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

Singer wrote: »

Neither are true... Both articles refer to the release of additional entires in July which were a limited number. Many of us signed up last Nov/Dec when inital entry was open.

That’s the same problem, not problems!!

But it creates many more, for a start a €9.40 average increase.

If they facilitated number transfer they would have fix many problems such as no shows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yes was kind of thinking that as well,surely a national champs race cant be a lottery.

There be a good for age time, that will mean the national champs is ok

There be a good for age time, that will mean the national champs is ok

Good for age is that a marathon time or would a good 10k or half marathon time be ok?

Good for age is that a marathon time or would a good 10k or half marathon time be ok?

Probably half or marathon time, same as London.

London is the UK champs also?

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see how many gfa places there are,Masters running here is hugely popular.

Will be interesting to see how many gfa places there are,Masters running here is hugely popular.

I think they will follow the same model as London. You will need to be a good master runner to get in on gfa

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But thats the re-release of returned tickets in July which they will still have to do next year...what has that got to do with how they release the initial entries?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Very disappointed with this decision, I'm a normal recreational runner who is not associated with any club. I've ran Dublin for the past 9 years so I suppose there will be no consideration for the runners who have supported them throughout the years.
    It still a great race well organised with great support but every year its becoming harder to get to the start line.
    As an example we as a family would always make a weekend out of the marathon. We always stayed in the same hotel 140e a night with late check out on race day. The last couple of years the price has doubled with limited late check out for 40e extra. So we drive up now on race day, with the hassle of number collection also, I'm sure there are better value race weekends available abroad.
    On the whole lottery issue, it took 6 weeks to sell out, people were well warned when the numbers were getting low, if you really wanted you had that window to guarantee your entry, no excuses. This whole lottery system is bull****

I think they will follow the same model as London. You will need to be a good master runner to get in on gfa

Hopefully it wont be like that,lots of aai paying members wont get to run in the national champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rockygizmo

Its just a cash grab really lets call it what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I was planning on running my first Dublin marathon next year, 2020. It would make more sense to see how many numbers register and allow everyone to transfer their entry before introducing a lottery system? I'll keep training and running, if i miss out, i will look elsewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wow, I'm convinced that no matter what they do people are going to bitch and moan and complain. The sense of entitlement on this thread is pretty staggering.

The reality is that there is a demand now that exceeds the supply of places and a lottery is the fairest way of distributing entries and is used in races all over the world.

They want to reduce the possibility of websites crashing causing people to miss an entry opportunity and I agree with the organisers that this is the fairest way of doing it. It won't suit everyone but it is the best system available to them.

The reality is that most people who enter the lottery will probably get a place.

Im not bothered about the Lottery just hope the National champs is not affected.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    The reality is that most people who enter the lottery will probably get a place.

I’d hazard a guess and say that many people are going to enter twice and it’ll cause more problems. I will certainly stick my name in the hat twice.
    First name + surname and middle name + surname

Advertisement