Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    I was just about to order and then I realised they didn't ask for size :confused:

So had a look at the manufacturers website and they're a one size fits all. I've ordered the 2 pairs anyway to see how they fair. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The first indications of DCM weather have shown up on the daily forecasts thread... something to spend all that free taper time worrying about :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111489065#post111489065
    More active weather systems are due around the weekend of the 19th-20th and into the early part of the following week, but there may be a short break in all this disturbed weather later that week with higher pressure, possibly rather cold with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Is there a list of pacers finalised??? I want to see who I am going to annoy in dragging my fat ass around Dublin in two weeks time 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rufus50

Hi lads & lassies

Will be my first time running the Dublin marathon and am hoping for some advice with regards as to where my wife should go to watch.

We have printed out a map of the course and have my predicted times at each mile marker but are unsure of best places logistically to get to in order to see as much of me running as possible.

The start will obviously be jammers so not much point waiting there and would be good to be at the end of the race but if you were to give advice on where else to try and get to see me running where would you advice?

Be great to get 1 or 2 other spots along the course before the end of the race for my wife to cheer me on.

Thanks in advance guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Rufus50 wrote: »
    Hi lads & lassies

Will be my first time running the Dublin marathon and am hoping for some advice with regards as to where my wife should go to watch.

We have printed out a map of the course and have my predicted times at each mile marker but are unsure of best places logistically to get to in order to see as much of me running as possible.

The start will obviously be jammers so not much point waiting there and would be good to be at the end of the race but if you were to give advice on where else to try and get to see me running where would you advice?

Be great to get 1 or 2 other spots along the course before the end of the race for my wife to cheer me on.

Thanks in advance guys

Tell her to take in the start,
    Then walk across to dolphins barn for 12m mark.
    Then walk back to Charlemont and take the luas to Miltown and stand down at the dropping well entrance. That's about 20m so plenty of time to get luas back in for the mile or so walk the finish straight at corner of Haddington Rd/Northumberland Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Is there a list of pacers finalised??? I want to see who I am going to annoy in dragging my fat ass around Dublin in two weeks time ��

What time are you aiming for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Is there a list of pacers finalised??? I want to see who I am going to annoy in dragging my fat ass around Dublin in two weeks time 🙂

That’s not an easy job dragging your fat-ass around, I know.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Long range forecast looking cold/cool for race day. Long way off yet but there seems to be confidence building towards colder weather at the end of the month. Same as last year would be nice please and thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

What time are you aiming for ?

Most likely set out at 3:20 pace.....

Most likely set out at 3:20 pace.....

That’s normally Killerz from these parts, Fozzy & Christoir Marty.. In safe hands there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Actually the most comfortable sock I ever put on.

Mine arrived today too. Too close to use them on the big day but will try them out on a few of my remaining training runs.

py wrote: »
    Mine arrived today too. Too close to use them on the big day but will try them out on a few of my remaining training runs.

Whys that ? I was going to test them later on a run.

ted1 wrote: »
    Whys that ? I was going to test them later on a run.

I've used other socks on my 20 mile LSR and they were fine. I'm not going to change anything this close to the big day as I won't get to test them out at a distance anywhere close to the full distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

This year they say they are shutting bagging area 45 mins before race. Previous years I have dropped bag in 10 mins before and dont remember a time restriction. Dont want to have to wait around for no reason. Now will have to organise somebody to meet me afterwards with a bag of my stuff... thanks organisers of DCM 2019.... really thoughtful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

i'd be amazed if that's enforced, race starts at 08:45, what if you are in wave 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

ooter wrote: »
    i'd be amazed if that's enforced, race starts at 08:45, what if you are in wave 3?

Pretty sure they announced different bag drop times for each wave. Presumably just an effort to avoid everyone landing in at once. Unlikely that they’ll close or turn anyone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

ted1 wrote: »
    Actually the most comfortable sock I ever put on.

Nice socks. Im not doing the marathon this year but I tried to order these. Keep getting an internal server error when I tap complete order.
    Maybe because none of my info matches anyone doing the race or maybe the offer is over. Anyway that was/is a cool offer by Steigen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

ooter wrote: »

Starting at 8.45 so would rather the extra time in bed. I might risk it but if they do turn me away I would be screwed as would have phone and wallet with me and nowhere to put them for race

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Probably just to spread the arrival time’s out but the walk time’s to starting pen getting longer as you go down the waves.

I’d be surprised if it is enforce. Vast majority will be there around an hour before start getting changed and ready. Get into the area based on pacers. Queuing for toilets. They really should have the urinal ones to reduce the numbers for toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Word on the street is Dublin is going to a lotto system for DCM20.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Pretty sure they announced different bag drop times for each wave. Presumably just an effort to avoid everyone landing in at once. Unlikely that they’ll close or turn anyone away.

Yep. Jim Aughney said as much on the runner beans podcast recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Dub13 wrote: »

If they do hopefully it is not a case of loads going to charity route like some races and wonder will they bring in quali times also

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    If they do hopefully it is not a case of loads going to charity route like some races and wonder will they bring in quali times also

I hope they have sometime like if you have done 5 out of the last 10 you are guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Dub13 wrote: »

How would that affect the marathon national championship?

How would that affect the marathon national championship?

Auto qualification for those in the running ? Athletics Ireland send on the list to DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Might promote club membership as people will join clubs just to get an entry, being a member of a club doesn't have to be expensive. My own one in Kerry is only 30 euro to join.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are the numbers really high enough to warrant setting up a ballot system? It's not like they are 5 times oversubscribed and selling out within half an hour yet.

Possibly putting a couple of thousand places in a ballot system in the spring once they have had a bunch of people cancelling etc, but would seem like overkill for the main entry at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

robinph wrote: »
    Are the numbers really high enough to warrant setting up a ballot system? It's not like they are 5 times oversubscribed and selling out within half an hour yet.

Possibly putting a couple of thousand places in a ballot system in the spring once they have had a bunch of people cancelling etc, but would seem like overkill for the main entry at this stage.

Thats what I was thinking, yeah it sold out early but not near enough demand for a lottery system IMO.

Could we see the numbers reach 25,000 perhaps? Insurance may be a bottleneck for it to happen, maybe the route cant handle that many?

• Advertisement

If it’s not broken...... leave it as is, it’s popular for a reason don’t change it.

Advertisement