Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding before scheduled d&c

Options
  • 23-06-2019 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Hi, apologies for the title, I just don't know how better to phrase it.
    We were in holles street on the 6th due to sickness and dehydration, an ultrasound was performed and no baby was found, just a gestational sack and they said that it looked small, we should have been approx 10weeks, but it looked like it had stopped developing at around 8 weeks, I think the whole sac was only 33mm.
    We were scheduled for a follow up ultrasound the following week (13th)to make sure there had been no progress.
    There was no progress. 3 options given, wait for nature to take its course, use medication to speed it along or have a d&c.
    Went for the medication(misoprostol), no effect other than lots of sickness. Reattended the hospital on the Monday (17th) repeat ultrasound 20th d&c 25th.

Now, it appears that nature may have taken its course starting yesterday evening.

What should we do now?

I presume the d&c will no longer be necessary, but should we go into the hospital tomorrow to confirm?
    I would leave it for Tuesday but we were told to take a dose of misoprostol when leaving the house and I don't want my wife to take it if unnecessary as it made her so Ill last time. I don't want to go in Tuesday without having taken the misoprostol in case the d&c is still required and can't be done without the misoprostol.

Currently we plan to head either to our gp (who is great) for further information tomorrow Monday morning or head straight into holles street a&e to see what they suggest?

Has anyone else here been through this, it is a nightmare that it is going on this long. Any advice? We just want it over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am so sorry to see what you are both going through, and especially that the process is taking so long. Your best bit is to ring the hospital now and ask what to do. There is always a midwife available to discuss things with. Any advice you recieve here may be well meaning but may not be helpful.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm so sorry for your loss, and that all this is making everything more difficult. I'd echo the advice given above - ring the hospital. Something similar happened my cousin and when she rang they got her to attend the next morning for an ultrasound. They were able to confirm that she had passed everything, so there was no need for any further treatment and she didn't need to take any more of the misoprostol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

In holles street now. It has not passed, back for the d&c in the morning.
    Well, they are currently checking my wife's bloods to see if they will let her go home for the night.

Advertisement