Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach the meeting with a teacher over incident?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

GarIT wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I believe confiscating someone's passport/passport card may be a criminal offence regardless of any agreement between the school, student and teachers on confisciation rules.

There were some nightclubs that got into serious trouble a while ago for confiscating passports (to give to gardai) that they thought were fake but actually weren't.

I presume the passport card was not knowingly confiscated.

Plus if the OP's niece asked the teacher I presume she would have given the passport card back?? (open to correction; this may have taken place and she didnt get it back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Extremely Angry

She will rue the day she stole my nieces property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

micar wrote: »
    Me thinks someone is being a little economical with the truth.

Holes being poked in the story.

A writen apology and compensation ... . Ffs

No doubt we will be reading about this in the papers in a few months when the judge throws it out for being absolutely ridiculous.

Plenty of solicitors will take this on purely for the €€€€€€€€

I was waiting for the niece wasn’t talking, she was actually saying a decade of the rosary.....if you throw in religion would that mean more €€€€€?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

If all of what your saying is true and the phone was taken home, they didnt listen to reasoning, or contact parents to verifyand the teacher left the students unsupervised...
    Then the OP is absolutly entitles to make a case to the principal. The day of an autocratic teacher is gone. While I do support a teacher needing to excert order and discipline to create a learning environment, the student has a right to be heard and ahould be given an opurtunity to explain or at least access the phone to retrieve numbers and passport details etc

If the courts found in favour of the OP, there would be no way to control mobile phones in class rooms

• Advertisement

If all of what your saying is true and the phone was taken home, they didnt listen to reasoning, or contact parents to verifyand the teacher left the students unsupervised...
    Then the OP is absolutly entitles to make a case to the principal. The day of an autocratic teacher is gone. While I do support a teacher needing to excert order and discipline to create a learning environment, the student has a right to be heard and ahould be given an opurtunity to explain or at least access the phone to retrieve numbers and passport details etc

I think we are lacking a certain granularity in the story to know what was said between niece and teacher

_Brian wrote: »
    Honestly going in saying the phone was stolen and you’ll just be laughed out the door, and rightly so.
    Can tell from the tone of posts that there is a respect problem in general here and obviously the kid has licked that up too.

Bless the poor teacher trying to better these kids and dealing with crap like this too.

I would like to be a fly in the wall in the meeting tomorrow

If the posts are anything to go by I would tell the teacher to record....

If OP is not a guardian, no idea why they think they can walk in off the street now and act as some sort of parent to the child? The school could rightly fire them out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Just wondering if you find that you get angry a lot? It's six weeks and you're still "seething". Which is obvious from the tone of your posts. A word to the wise. Assume that it was a genuine mistake by the teacher and let it go. Even if it was done out of malice, you won't win and if you create a scene it won't be in your niece's interest nevermind anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Realistically, if you go into that meeting with the attitude your showing here you're going to get nowhere anyway.

Even if the principal wasn't there until the end of the day, your niece has a class teacher. She has a year head. She should have approached them.

"There is no specific rule against having a phone on your person, just as long as they don't interfere with lessons. - In relation to this - Please double check the wording in the behaviour policy before the meeting. Most school policies ban phones on show in classrooms at the very least.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would like to be a fly in the wall in the meeting tomorrow

If the posts are anything to go by I would tell the teacher to record....

If OP is not a guardian, no idea why they think they can walk in off the street now and act as some sort of parent to the child? The school could rightly fire them out the door

The child (or adult in this case) is 18 - she has no guardian a such now in law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Would you ever cop on?

You might with that attitude, you have no say in your niece life which you admit, you are not her guardian

To the school your just some crazy person trying to make a few quid....they can call the Garda and have you arrested for going into school property...

You could go into the school, go on the swing and then fall off it, that might be a better chance of the compo you are looking for

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Realistically, if you go into that meeting with the attitude your showing here you're going to get nowhere anyway.

Even if the principal wasn't there until the end of the day, your niece has a class teacher. She has a year head. She should have approached them.

"There is no specific rule against having a phone on your person, just as long as they don't interfere with lessons. - In relation to this - Please double check the wording in the behaviour policy before the meeting. Most school policies ban phones on show in classrooms at the very least.

The phone was out on the desk - technically not on her person

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If you are indeed "extremely angry" why have you waited 6 weeks to deal with this? Your niece is in 5th year you say, so not involved in state exams? Wht, if you are so furious, have you allowed 6 weeks to pass, to allow the school deal with exams?

And why are you referring to an adult teacher as 'the girl who stole the phone'.

Exams are finished up in most schools. Teachers are gone off the premises more or less since the end of May. How are you meeting her tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Jaysus. The poor niece.

JJJackal wrote: »
    The child (or adult in this case) is 18 - she has no guardian a such now in law

But you can be marked at the school as contact, which the OP isn’t

So why is OP going to the school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

JJJackal wrote: »
    The phone was out on the desk - technically not on her person

I never said it was on her person. I said on show - meaning a teacher being able to see it...

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    But you can be marked at the school as contact, which the OP isn’t

So why is OP going to the school?

But as a contact you cant represent the adult I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really?
    What does that mean ??

If your showing no respect for the school teachers (which your not) it’s no surprise the kid had no respect for the rules and had their phone out and was chatting to others when requested not to.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I never said it was on her person. I said on show - meaning a teacher being able to see it...

Apologies - I just wanted to point out that it didnt follow school policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The niece obviously isn't as assertive as the OP that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

No it's not.

Read the OP.

While it might not be a written rule, a dog with a mallet up its arse knows phone wouldn't be allowed in class in any school. Your niece got caught with her phone in class and it was unfortunate that she had other items in the sleeve but could've escalated it to the vice principal or someone similar but for some reason didn't? The teacher wont offer much to you and going in for blood off her so to speak is silly. Let it go and next year tell your niece keep the phone in her locker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Is this a real thread? I really hope it isn't, because your life must be torture if you get this angry and allow something to simmer inside you for 6 weeks over a situation that could have been resolved with a single meeting with the principal as soon as you returned from your trip to Portugal.

Assuming this is a real issue, and I know it's been asked numerous times without a response but I'll give it another shot. Did your niece request her passport card and debit card to be returned as soon as the phone was confiscated? If she did and that request was denied then you certainly have a grievance that the school should be prepared to address.

If not, I can't see how the school has a case to answer. They can argue that simply by virtue of the phone being out on the table it was interfering with the lesson, as its mere visibility could be a distraction. As such, they could argue that the teacher just followed the school policy on confiscating phones, and can not be held accountable for others factors she did not have any knowledge of.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

JeffKenna wrote: »
    The niece obviously isn't as assertive as the OP that's for sure.

Or the niece is full of it.
    Parents out of the country, assumed guardian out of country. House empty.........

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

This is as almost as bad as the thread where the woman was looking to make a compensation claim for hurting her back on the bumper cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

your reaction of compensation as a possibility doesnt garner sympathy.
    if youre registered with the school as her guardian then insist politely but firmly on speaking to the principal.
    if mot then at 18 they should habe the cop on to discuss it with her.
    they and you cant have it every way.

is the story absolutely accurate.

no class truly remains totally silent once a teacher leaves the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

New account? Check. Over the top story? Check. Combative posting style? Check.

No, could never be another troll could it?

Hey OP, tell us more about you. What kick does this give ya?

Reati wrote: »
    New account? Check. Over the top story? Check. Combative posting style? Check.

No, could never be another troll could it?

Hey OP, tell us more about you. What kick does this give ya?

I want to hear more too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Her parents are in Portugal for reasons well beyond the scope of this thread

Please do tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2 years ago I'd had said this was a wind up.

A good mate is a teacher and a student watching YouTube came out with the same sort of excuse when he casme back into class.

Getting a tissue out or finding a pen or dog did it.

Anyway again this kids parents decided half the world was in the phone case and that they sue if he didn't get on his knees and grovel to their best kiddo ever.

Cannot see why anyone would want to teach anymore.

OP. Take a deep breath and forget about it. This niece hardly had the phone out to get a tissue out??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement