Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bars in Dublin that don't play live music and play background chart music?

Options
  • 23-06-2019 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

No intention to listen to a guy singing 40 year old songs on a guitar but seems every single pub needs to have one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Aptly timed post as Wetherspoons have just opened in Abbey Street. They are famous for having no music... although some say they lack atmosphere too!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mulligans Poolbeg Street?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

ongarboy wrote: »
    Aptly timed post as Wetherspoons have just opened in Abbey Street. They are famous for having no music... although some say they lack atmosphere too!

Anywhere plays like maybe chart music that isn't a club?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

It's like drinking in a restaurant, no stools at the bar, ****e enough atmosphere. But it's cheap so it will do well since pubs are a rip off here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Personally I’d like to see the back of all music in pubs except live music.

• Advertisement

Personally I’d like to see the back of all music in pubs except live music.

That is already the case... please tell me where there is no live music! It should be a selling point to have music from after 00. Not all old stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    That is already the case... please tell me where there is no live music! It should be a selling point to have music from after 00. Not all old stuff.

I’d like no music as I said.

As to where’s there’s no live music - most pubs don’t have live music most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mulligans as mentioned, Grogans also. Peters Bar too. Just a few off the top of my head.

Mulligans as mentioned, Grogans also. Peters Bar too. Just a few off the top of my head.

Do they just play no music or just radio/chart stuff?

Do they just play no music or just radio/chart stuff?

No music at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Anywhere plays like maybe chart music that isn't a club?
    Rody bolands

One of the Wetherspoons in Newcastle is a different type of WS.... turns into a nightclub at midnight. Mad scenes tbf!

WS in Dun Laoighre and Blackrock always rammed at times I've been there - never been to the Swords one.

Mr.S wrote: »
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/4223818/sneak-peak-new-wetherspoon-pub-the-silver-penny/

Christ that looks like it be zero craic!

Though given the location it will be jammers all day and night.
    https://twitter.com/dublinbypub/status/1140976845690683392

Looks ****e enough for craic and on looks. Yeah will clean up because of the prices, although I notice the Dun Laghaoire one is a good bit cheaper? Are the prices different in each Dublin Spoons?

Beamish 2.95 in DL, 3.45 in Abbey

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Loads of pubs, just go for a walk about and visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I can't believe OP is struggling to find a bar that plays Ed Sheeran/Ariana Grande/Justin Bieber/Drake on repeat -- surely that is the majority of bars in Dublin?? Just go to Nolita/Capitol/Chelsea Drugstore/Mercantile/Exchequer/JT Pims which are the bars I can think of on South Great Georges Street alone that play non stop chart music.

I can't believe OP is struggling to find a bar that plays Ed Sheeran/Ariana Grande/Justin Bieber/Drake on repeat -- surely that is the majority of bars in Dublin?? Just go to Nolita/Capitol/Chelsea Drugstore/Mercantile/Exchequer/JT Pims which are the bars I can think of on South Great Georges Street alone that play non stop chart music.

They actually don't! Maybe Capitol that's it. Merchantile live music. The rest are cocktail bars...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They actually don't! Maybe Capitol that's it. Merchantile live music. The rest are cocktail bars...

They all sell beer

Auld lads bar with pop music ain't going to happen - well, if you find one it's an edge case. Live music, recorded trad or no music usually.

L1011 wrote: »
    They all sell beer

Auld lads bar with pop music ain't going to happen - well, if you find one it's an edge case. Live music, recorded trad or no music usually.

Not possible for a normal bar to play chart music...strange that it's so hard to find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Matthew Street in Liverpool might be a good choice if you're looking for cheese, or a more poppy atmosphere.

The Living Room does I think

• Advertisement

Not possible for a normal bar to play chart music...strange that it's so hard to find.

Because the audience that goes to them doesn't like to listen to chart music; and the audience that goes to the shiny fancy cocktail-driven places (where you can still buy pints) do?

Its reached the point where there is actually a chain of bars in the UK that specifically plays chart music; some of the venues are gay venues but most aren't - Leeds actually has two, one above a gay bar and one now. They're horrible

https://www.popworldparty.co.uk/

Because the audience that goes to them doesn't like to listen to chart music; and the audience that goes to the shiny fancy cocktail-driven places (where you can still buy pints) do?

Its reached the point where there is actually a chain of bars in the UK that specifically plays chart music; some of the venues are gay venues but most aren't - Leeds actually has two, one above a gay bar and one now. They're horrible

https://www.popworldparty.co.uk/

But I would argue half the places that have live music, the clientele actually don't come for it or enjoy it. In Temple Bar, yes. But not in every single pub. Does every Irish person or any person want to listen to a guy on a guitar with a ****e voice? Is that really much better than even ****e chart music.

But I would argue half the places that have live music, the clientele actually don't come for it or enjoy it. In Temple Bar, yes. But not in every single pub. Does every Irish person or any person want to listen to a guy on a guitar with a ****e voice? Is that really much better than even ****e chart music.

In enough peoples eyes/ears for it to still happen, yes.

Remember that the average age of drinkers in a "normal bar" is going to be above the age that most people care about the charts. Young people are drinking less than before and they are more likely to drink at home; as well as want to go to the places you dismissed as cocktail bars.

In enough peoples eyes/ears for it to still happen, yes.

Remember that the average age of drinkers in a "normal bar" is going to be above the age that most people care about the charts. Young people are drinking less than before and they are more likely to drink at home; as well as want to go to the places you dismissed as cocktail bars.

Fair point. I know that everywhere won't do that. I was just saying that it's hard to find somewhere that plays a mix that doesn't have live music. I don't need all chart but maybe a mix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was in the Mercantile tonight and was thinking of the OP. No live music and definitely chart music being played for earlier part of the night. Very definitely 80s for the latter part.

Advertisement