Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reporting illegal parking on footpath

Options
  • 23-06-2019 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks
    Just looking for best advice
    A person is illegal parking there vehicle on a footpath on a drive into an old estate.
    It is making visibility very poor and in the case of an emergency no response vehicle could drive past.
    A neighbour left a note and kindly asked the person to shift the vehicle and they still havent
    The vehicle is there 6 days and the person lives 200 yards away from where they are parking
    I have read a law online which states it is totally illegal to park on a footpath so who do i report them too
    The council , gardai or traffic warden??
    Any advice would be great
    Omega

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Hi folks
    A person is illegal parking there vehicle on a footpath on a drive into an old estate.
    It is making visibility very poor and in the case of an emergency no response vehicle could drive past.
    A neighbour left a note and kindly asked the person to shift the vehicle and they still havent
    The vehicle is there 6 days and the person lives 200 yards away from where they are parking
    I have read a law online which states it is totally illegal to park on a footpath so who do i report them too
    Omega

Council. I've done it before. Report by email and include photo if you can . They were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Omegacork1988

Abba987 wrote: »
    Council. I've done it before. Report by email and include photo if you can . They were very helpful.

Thank you very much , i have been informed that the person doesnt have a leg to stand on parking on a footpath
    I will do so tomorrow
    did you get the matter resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi folks
    Omega

Leaving passive aggressive notes on a car is no good. No matter how politely you think its worded, it's just a shìte thing to do. If you know where they live just knock in and explain its blocking the entrance and could they find another spot.

Hi there
    A neighbour politely asked the person to shift there vehicle as it is illegally parked on a footpath and the person hasnt moved it
    The same person is very polite and said the offender was very nasty
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi there
    A neighbour politely asked the person to shift there vehicle as it is illegally parked on a footpath and the person hasnt moved it
    The same person is very polite and said the offender was very nasty
    Regards

Did they ask or leave a note? OP says they left a note. If they asked in person and got no result then fair enough, report away imo

If they parked alongside the footpath, wouldnt they cause more of an obstruction? I know in my estate both sides of the road have cars parked and it can get very tight in some spots but I agree footpaths need to be kept clear for loads of obvious reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ask for double yellows to be fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Thank you very much , i have been informed that the person doesnt have a leg to stand on parking on a footpath
    I will do so tomorrow
    did you get the matter resolved?

I did indeed. We had to leave the path to push a pram on the road. So selfish !

dobman88 wrote: »
    Did they ask or leave a note? OP says they left a note. If they asked in person and got no result then fair enough, report away imo

If they parked alongside the footpath, wouldnt they cause more of an obstruction? I know in my estate both sides of the road have cars parked and it can get very tight in some spots but I agree footpaths need to be kept clear for loads of obvious reasons

Hi there
    There should be no parking along there full stop a car can barely drive along it , the estate is a 100 years old.
    It is just dangerous and awkward being honest
    I dont like reporting noone but it has to be done i think as it is blatant disregard for neighbours

Abba987 wrote: »
    I did indeed. We had to leave the path to push a pram on the road. So selfish !

yes and there is an old lady living in this estate 93 who walks out on the footpath for fresh air.
    she had to go on the road today and was nearly met by a car:(

would the council do that in your experience??

• Advertisement

It's amazing the amount that just abandon their vehicles and don't think of emergency services....

It's amazing the amount that just abandon their vehicles and don't think of emergency services....

Unreal isnt it , i wouldnt dream of parking like that in such a bad spot.
    Some people think they can do what they like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That may take months to happen, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Homer

<Not-so-subtle illegal advice removed.>

That may take months to happen, unfortunately.

Still worth request.. I've done it for bus stops and dangerous corners where it highlights the bad parking.... Unfortunately it doesn't fully stop it though.....

Where the wife is from is a very quiet road and due to lack of parking especially at night we have to park on the path but I honestly leave enough space for emergency and wheelchair or buggy users..... I'm thoughtful that way but understand I'm still in the wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

yes and there is an old lady living in this estate 93 who walks out on the footpath for fresh air.
    she had to go on the road today and was nearly met by a car:(

Get the93 eat old to support you in making a complaint to gardai. Dangerously parked vehicles are their responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

knock on his door and say "word to the wise, I saw some official looking guy checking out your car earlier"

Advertisement