Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a derelict house

Options
  • 23-06-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Looking at a house in a remote part of the county as a holiday home, it used to belong to my grandparent back in the 70s and 80s - built from new.

Visited the house recently and it is completely over grown with bushes etc. The house looks fine from a structural point of view.

Found out on Landdirect.ie that the current owner purchased the house in 2000, and died in 2004 - the house looks like it has been untouched since then.

The solicitor that dealt with the purchase is no longer around either.

Any ideas how i could proceed with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Consult a solicitor and see if you can get a copy of the will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The fact that the current owner is dead but still listed as deceased might indicate that the owner had no family to inherit it.

Its unlikely in Ireland where property as such value that it would just be left to rot.

In the case where someone has nobody to inherit their estate on death then their estate goes to the State.

It wouldn't surprise me that the state would just leave it to rot.

You need to track down the current owner. Speak to neighbours to find out what happened, did they have family etc. You might have to have a few awkward conversations or hire someone to do the work for you.

If you find a current owner then you will suggest purchasing it. Assuming they want to sell it then you will likely get it valued, then get a solicitor to manage the sale.

Advertisement