Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to size when going from hybrid to road?

Options
  • 23-06-2019 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

I'm probably going to remain on my hybrid bike for a little while longer to see if I get back fully on the cycle train but I was wondering if I do go down the road bike route how I should convert my hybrid bike sizing to that of road?

It seems like a 1:1 conversion is definitely wrong - as I'm comfortable on my 19" fuji absolute - 19" works out to be 48.5cm.

I'm seeing reports that this would convert to around a 51-54cm frame for a road bike - is that right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What height are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

172cm

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Best to find a manufacturer size guide for the bike you're buying, because the listed geometries can catch you out.

In traditional sizing you'd probably use a 54.

The usual rule is to go down a size if you're between sizes, and then fiddle with different stems to get the fit you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As above, you're most likely best suited to a 54cm frame although you could get away with a 52cm if you have short legs. Go to a bike shop and test ride a few different 54/52cm bikes.

Advertisement