Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authentic Chinese Restaurant Limerick

• 24-06-2019 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Do these exist in Limerick. Find it hard to get good Chinese food. Best I've had over the years has always been on Parnell St in Dublin. I wouldn't rate Jasmine Palace as authentic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Not sure you will find a truly authentic chinese anywhere in Limerick (or Ireland for that matter).

I went to the buffet place on O'Connell Street once (went to the restaurant side rather than the buffet) and I thought it was tasty just not authentic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

The shamrock on the ennis road has been there for years, run by all chinese too so probably as authentic as you can get :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

dave 27 wrote: »
    The shamrock on the ennis road has been there for years, run by all chinese too so probably as authentic as you can get :confused:

I'd say that is doubtful ... a lot of the dishes are changed to suit the Irish taste. I doubt you will find a 3in1 or chicken balls on a traditional Chinese menu :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They don't exist in Ireland. The Chinese wouldn't eat the muck served in a Chinese restaurant here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

They don't exist in Ireland. The Chinese wouldn't eat the muck served in a Chinese restaurant here.

Not true. Plenty on Parnell Street and Capel Street in Dublin that serve non MSG - authentic Chinese food. But hey, it's easier to generalize right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hal3000 wrote:
    Not true.

It is though. I worked in several 'chinese restaurants in my younger days. The dishes are mostly invented to suit European tastes. I have eaten traditional Chinese food, never once saw any of these dishes on an Irish menu without being substantially changed to suit the local taste.
    You disagree that's fine, I have no interest in arguing with an anonymous individual on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Pagoda in Corbally has a contract with a bus tour company who bring them a bus load of Chinese tourists I think twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

There used to be one on the corner of Catherine Street and Glentworth Street, can't remember the name. They had a menu solely in Chinese, missed the chance to order from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Hal3000 wrote:
    Not true.

It is though. I worked in several 'chinese restaurants in my younger days. The dishes are mostly invented to suit European tastes. I have eaten traditional Chinese food, never once saw any of these dishes on an Irish menu without being substantially changed to suit the local taste.
    You disagree that's fine, I have no interest in arguing with an anonymous individual on the net.

Have you been to any of the ones on Parnell St in Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

mrsoundie wrote: »
    There used to be one on the corner of Catherine Street and Glentworth Street, can't remember the name. They had a menu solely in Chinese, missed the chance to order form it.

Madam Mok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

bigpink wrote: »
    Madam Mok?

That's its name now. Can't remember the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Same as the "carbonara" made in Ireland in "Italian" restaurants....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

You worked in an authentic Chinese restaurant? I'm assuming you're Chinese or at least can speak Putonghua or Cantonese? Most on Parnell Street don't even have English menus in them. Let's stop the spoofing now. You worked in a mainstream Chinese restaurant not an authentic one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Not true. Plenty on Parnell Street and Capel Street in Dublin that serve non MSG - authentic Chinese food. But hey, it's easier to generalize right?

MSG is used quite widely by chinese people in their food, for the record. Probably a lot more than we use it in my experience of living with some chinese folk for a time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

mrsoundie wrote: »
    That's its name now. Can't remember the old one.

Dim Sum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You worked in an authentic Chinese restaurant? I'm assuming you're Chinese or at least can speak Putonghua or Cantonese? Most on Parnell Street don't even have English menus in them. Let's stop the spoofing now. You worked in a mainstream Chinese restaurant not an authentic one.

Exactly the opposite of what he is saying ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a place on Upper William st. Its a chinese supermarket but they sell noodles. Always busy in there with Eastern Asians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The Hong Kong on William Street was always considered a good old school type Chinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Perhaps you should read the post you quoted.

They never claimed to have worked in an "authentic Chinese restaurant"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A lot of places supposedly have a separate menu for other Chinese people with dim sum, dumplings etc. Probably worth asking in a few places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There's an authentic Chinese near where I live in NW London - but it was hardly enjoyable - pretty much everything came out on a bed of bird eye chillies! I'd take the Jasmine anyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Do you remember the old Auto Dine on the Ennis Road? Authentic Chinese cuisine at it's finest particularly the Greyhound Chow Mein.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭unichick

Went to the Jasmine with my chinese sister in law. The waitress was basically giving out about the food being too salty & how it's already prepared. Dumpling are shop bought, not made in house. I was amazed they didn't do a separate menu for Chinese people. She ended up eating a lot of steak when she was here as couldn't bear the "chinese" food.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

unichick wrote: »
    Went to the Jasmine with my chinese sister in law. The waitress was basically giving out about the food being too salty & how it's already prepared. Dumpling are shop bought, not made in house. I was amazed they didn't do a separate menu for Chinese people. She ended up eating a lot of steak when she was here as couldn't bear the "chinese" food.

Not sure why you expected it to be any different?
    Unless going to one of the ethnic areas in Dublin you are going to have the same experience in any Irish chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

unichick wrote: »

Jasmine has been awful for years imo. WE had a Christmas party there in 2017, and none of us have been back since. Used to be a good option for Asian food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Buffet is decent in the Jasmine (in-laws have been) but I havent been impressed the last time I was in and that was a few years ago. It used to be the go-to place for Chinese in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

The 'Jasmine is awful' comments from people who have not been there in years deserve to be ignored, as it is uninformed rubbish, you'd be better off not commenting for the sake of commenting,

I go for the buffet fairly regular and it's good stuff, They have done a lot to renovate the place and it's right up (food quality) where it used to always be.

Ask in one of the Chinese food shops where they recommend to go eat, There's a supermarket/wholesale place up on Henry St. near Limerick Post.

Advertisement