Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Soft Mince

• 24-06-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, you know when you're out in a restaurant and you order a burger or lasagne and it comes made with mince which seems to be have put through some soft of even finer mincer- what's that called and is it possible to buy mince like that? I want to try some mince dishes for our 2 year old and she wouldn't be a huge fan of the texture of regular mince so looking to see if I can try this with her.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would imagine most butchers would have a finer plate to put on the mincing machine, best go when it is not that busy so they have time to do it.

See the different hole sizes

img56592404.jpg

I suppose you just ask for fine mince, or "finer strands".

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

Or you could just blend your regular mince after cooking to make it finer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Eireog1 wrote: »
    Or you could just blend your regular mince after cooking to make it finer.

That's not going to work for a burger is it? Would it not have to be ground finer beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rubadub wrote: »
    I would imagine most butchers would have a finer plate to put on the mincing machine, best go when it is not that busy so they have time to do it.

I suppose you just ask for fine mince, or "finer strands".

That sounds like a plan, I'll ask a few different butchers. I thought it might be something that was relatively easily sourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

you could blend it beforehand making the partial smaller and finer might be worth a try on a small bit first in case it turns it to mush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That's not going to work for a burger is it? Would it not have to be ground finer beforehand.

if put in a blender beforehand it will be a paste. But this might be OK for burgers, if you defrost a regular 1/4lber burger you will find it is pretty much paste.

I liquidise mince beforehand for making doner kebab meat.

But for a lasange the blending after cooking could work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Ask your friendly butcher for some round steak then have him run it through the mincer 2 or 3 times .
    Have done it many times and they are only too happy to oblige .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The restaurant probably used a cheaper mince with 20% fat, then just cooked it for much longer so the fat melted.

Advertisement