Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Shannondale"

• 24-06-2019 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

In some death certs from the 1950s and 1960s, an address is given as:

Shannondale, King's Island, Limerick

I can't seen any road or street named as such there. Is it possibly an individual's house's name?

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Shannonvale exists as an estate in Caherdavin but that definitely wasn't there in the 50s and 60s!

There was a Shannondale in Castleconnell according to this newspaper clipping from 1874 - first death... http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/White,%20Potter,%20Parker.pdf

However, Ms Josephine Wixted, of "Shannondale", off Thomond Bridge, Limerick was a member of Thomond Archaeology Society in 1979, so I believe it is - or was - a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I'm wondering if it's here: https://goo.gl/maps/HtenNVQfmGcWbDNg6

It appears to be all called Verdant place nowadays, however, the Villier's Home's address is Old Dominick Street, Verdant Place.
    Perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

However, Ms Josephine Wixted, of "Shannondale", off Thomond Bridge, Limerick was a member of Thomond Archaeology Society in 1979, so I believe it is - or was - a house.

Aha, yes, it was a Wixted family involved alright so that would be it. Guess the house is gone or lost its name?

PS: How do I browse to those PDFs on the limerickcity.ie site? I can't find any history section or similar. Cheers.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

oceanclub wrote: »
    Aha, yes, it was a Wixted family involved alright so that would be it. Guess the house is gone or lost its name?

PS: How do I browse to those PDFs on the limerickcity.ie site? I can't find any history section or similar. Cheers.

P.

Haven't a clue I'm afraid, I found them via Google. I'd say if you call into Castle Antiques just at the end of Thomond Bridge, Mr Gunning might point you in the direction of where Shannondale is/was - he's been there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

There were a couple of old houses on the spot where Verdant Crescent is now. I’m not a 100% sure but I think that’s the location you’re looking for. Eircode V94 XF40

• Advertisement

I may be wrong. The 1888 OS map has those two cottages listed as Albert & Victoria Cottages. I suppose the name could have changed. The street down the side of Kings Island Medical Centre had/has a few one off houses also. Names not listed on old maps though.

http://map.geohive.ie/mobile.html

The 1931 register of electors lists Shannondale in between Albert & Victoria so must have been physically quiet close if not in between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The 1931 register of electors lists Shannondale in between Albert & Victoria so must have been physically quiet close if not in between the two.

That's a great resource - thanks!

P.

Advertisement