Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn help

Options
  • 24-06-2019 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

Hi folks just looking for a bit of help here as I dont know much about gardening. I laided a new lawn about 2 years ago. Now its only a small area about 8 metres x 4 metres. I put down Rye grass seed its the same grass seed they use on fairways on golf courses (Im a keen golfer :D) Although it was dear. I'm only covering a small area. The grass is up now 2 years and a very lush healthy green colour and its very hard wearing as hardly any weeds you might get the odd one but rare. My previous grass I always had loads so a welcome surprise.

My problem is the grass doesn't seem to be filling in or knitting. I have dug up the patches and placed more grass seed down but it hasn't changed. I also put down lawn feed and moss killer regularly as one side of the lawn suffers a bit with moss as its in the shade a bit. It seems to be in the same spots. Not overly bad but I do think it should be better.

Has anybody any advice? As I want to start planting some shrubs along the fence this year so would like the garden to come together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

benny79 wrote: »
    Hi folks just looking for a bit of help here as I dont know much about gardening. I laided a new lawn about 2 years ago. Now its only a small area about 8 metres x 4 metres. I put down Rye grass seed its the same grass seed they use on fairways on golf courses (Im a keen golfer :D) Although it was dear. I'm only covering a small area. The grass is up now 2 years and a very lush healthy green colour and its very hard wearing as hardly any weeds you might get the odd one but rare. My previous grass I always had loads so a welcome surprise.

My problem is the grass doesn't seem to be filling in or knitting. I have dug up the patches and placed more grass seed down but it hasn't changed. I also put down lawn feed and moss killer regularly as one side of the lawn suffers a bit with moss as its in the shade a bit. It seems to be in the same spots. Not overly bad but I do think it should be better.

Has anybody any advice? As I want to start planting some shrubs along the fence this year so would like the garden to come together.

Get a small pitch fork, a bag of compost and a bag of granular feed (fertiliser). Spike all of the bare patches well with the pitch fork. Go as deep as you can over the whole bare patch. Spread the seed out over the bare patch. Cover the seed with generous amounts of compost. Rub your hand over the compost, spreading it out over the patch and mixing it with seed. Some of the compost will go down into the holes created with the pitch fork. Finally throw some granular feed over the compost. That should do the job. I'd advise that you only do this before you know it's going to rain. Strictly speaking seed shouldn't be sowing seed in the height of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DancingBears

I bought top soil out of a farmers bog and thought it would be ideal. I had read bog soil would give an extremely good finish. It is very Dark in colour and was quite wet when he started dropping it off but it has dried out sense. I’m in a dry area too so I don’t have any fears there. When you roll it in your hands it’s almost like powder. A gardener told me he couldn’t grow grass on it for a lawn and that nobody could. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I bought top soil out of a farmers bog and thought it would be ideal. I had read bog soil would give an extremely good finish. It is very Dark in colour and was quite wet when he started dropping it off but it has dried out sense. I’m in a dry area too so I don’t have any fears there. When you roll it in your hands it’s almost like powder. A gardener told me he couldn’t grow grass on it for a lawn and that nobody could. Any ideas?

Sounds a lot like peat moss. It holds water well but is low in nutrients and best used (if at all) as a sort of top-dressing or soil amendment rather than as the main growing medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DancingBears

Thanks any other feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement