Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving with a cast?

Options
  • 24-06-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

So I'm in a cast for a broken wrist. I don't see anything on Liberty's insurance documents that mentions driving with a cast or injuries isn't covered. NDLS documents suggest you shouldn't but don't outright say you can't.

There's a lot of hearsay online saying you're not covered but not from Irish websites.

I have full control of the car and can grip the wheel properly. It's my right wrist.

Doctor said I'm ok to use my hand as they don't recommend using a sling due to muscle fatigue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding actual information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Miscreant

DaveyDave wrote: »

Perhaps picking up the phone and calling Liberty in this case might be your best bet? If you can't find anything online or in the documents, then asking them the direct question would get you the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

DaveyDave wrote: »
    So I'm in a cast for a broken wrist. I don't see anything on Liberty's insurance documents that mentions driving with a cast or injuries isn't covered. NDLS documents suggest you shouldn't but don't outright say you can't.

There's a lot of hearsay online saying you're not covered but not from Irish websites.

I have full control of the car and can grip the wheel properly. It's my right wrist.

Doctor said I'm ok to use my hand as they don't recommend using a sling due to muscle fatigue.

A quick note from your doc saying that you are fit to drive and you are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Julygirl

I broke my left wrist in March (and I have an automatic) - no cast, but surgery plate pins and a splint and a few weeks of physio

Hospital when asked said they couldnt say yes or no as people differ in driving competency and its up to the individual and their healing (which makes sense)

Insurance said they couldn't say and to get a note from hospital to say fit to drive :rolleyes:

As it was, I didn't drive for 6 weeks until I had my follow up xray to confirm it was healed good as I wasn't comfortable driving around in a grey area as to whether my insurance would cover or not (and I only passed my test in October so wouldn't say my competency was 100%) I got a letter from the hospital and one from my physio saying I was ok to drive in the end!

I will say though, I couldn't bend my fingers, didn't have feeling in my fingers and couldn't grip the wheel so as crap as it was not to be able to drive, retrospectively it was the right option!

Advertisement