Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK licence full (car) Irl licence provisional (bike)

Options
  • 24-06-2019 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Past bike test, was trying to swap provisional for full, was asked do I have a car license and stupidly told him I do but for the uk, now I've no problem swapping them over but recently got 5 points on the Irl bike license when on a provisional. So that would be carried over on to my car license right? I.e higher insurance quotes next year... wanted to keep them separate but is it really against the law?
    Would the NDLS know I have a car license? I.e could I try again and just say nope, I don't drive a car so they couldn't force me to swap?
    When they (NDLS) run my name would it come up as having a full UK licence? Probably not right as he would of assumed so instead of asking me right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Congratulations. Yes, yes, no, yes, no, no, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why are you worried about the points on your car licence if you don't drive a car?

You will most likely get away without informing anyone about the points until you need to use your insurance and then you will be in bigger trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why are you worried about the points on your car licence if you don't drive a car?

You will most likely get away without informing anyone about the points until you need to use your insurance and then you will be in bigger trouble.

But I do drive a car.

Congratulations. Yes, yes, no, yes, no, no, yes.

Thanks, you reckon they do know about the uk licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Thanks, you reckon they do know about the uk licence?

You are asked on the application form if you hold a licence from another jurisdiction.

• Advertisement

But I do drive a car.

Miss read the post. You will get in trouble with insurance if you don't declare that you now have points regardless of what car licence you have.

Miss read the post. You will get in trouble with insurance if you don't declare that you now have points regardless of what car licence you have.

Cool, guess I'll just swap it over and avoid the misery, I was hoping to use the UK are not in Europe #brexit thing but looks likely that will never happen. I know you can't hold 2 licenses from a EU State.
    Just pissed off that the points I got 4km over in an 80 zone with no L vest = 5 points will (following day past my test) add up to a significant rise in insurance quotes for both bike and car now :( Anyway it really has me watching speed limits so maybe not a bad thing but 4km over was harsh, cop was sound but very much by the book.

Cool, guess I'll just swap it over and avoid the misery, I was hoping to use the UK are not in Europe #brexit thing but looks likely that will never happen. I know you can't hold 2 licenses from a EU State.
    Just pissed off that the points I got 4km over in an 80 zone with no L vest = 5 points will (following day past my test) add up to a significant rise in insurance quotes for both bike and car now :( Anyway it really has me watching speed limits so maybe not a bad thing but 4km over was harsh, cop was sound but very much by the book.

Have you got the letter from the RSA saying that you have 5 points? You should only get 3 points. They don't add up when you get caught for 2 offences at the same time, you only get the higher one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I was hoping to use the UK are not in Europe #brexit thing but looks likely that will never happen.

I'm a bit baffled about that cunning plan you had. :confused:

Currently a UK licence is accepted under "mutual recognition" of EU licences. Post-Brexit, it wouldn't be accepted as you appear to be "resident" here and not a tourist...

macplaxton wrote: »
    I'm a bit baffled about that cunning plan you had. :confused:

Currently a UK licence is accepted under "mutual recognition" of EU licences. Post-Brexit, it wouldn't be accepted as you appear to be "resident" here and not a tourist...

Bit baffled myself at the best of times, essentially I'd like to use the uk licence for the next 3 years (until points go) then change over to the full irl licence. Anyway looks like I'll just swap and take the hit :(

• Advertisement

Have you got the letter from the RSA saying that you have 5 points? You should only get 3 points. They don't add up when you get caught for 2 offences at the same time, you only get the higher one.

You know that had me wondering, I got the letter to say 3 points had been added but I got two separate fines, €80 3pts speeding and then €60 2pts no L vest.
    Just figured that there was another RSA letter to come.
    So what your saying is that I'd only have 3pts?
    Apologises but never been stopped, fined etc in my life so all new to me.

You know that had me wondering, I got the letter to say 3 points had been added but I got two separate fines, €80 3pts speeding and then €60 2pts no L vest.

Yep, you only got 3 points. If you want you can call the RSA to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

It always bugged me that penalty points earned on a bike affected car insurance, but a NCB earned on a bike counted for nothing when getting car insurance.

Tzardine wrote: »
    It always bugged me that penalty points earned on a bike affected car insurance, but a NCB earned on a bike counted for nothing when getting car insurance.
    Never knew that either, cheers

Tzardine wrote: »

Plenty points are on your driving licence record it doesn't matter what you did to get them.

An insurance claim on one affects the other also. You can't easily transfer commercial insurance NCD to private and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Plenty points are on your driving licence record it doesn't matter what you did to get them.

An insurance claim on one affects the other also. You can't easily transfer commercial insurance NCD to private and vice versa.

I know. But you should be able to.

I could have 10 years claims free experience driving a 40 foot truck. But if I took out my first car insurance this experience would count for nothing.

It makes no sense. It's the same roads, and the same rules of the road. The experience is relevant and should count for something. Just as the penalty point should, and do.

Advertisement