Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Staining on a Teak Door

Options
  • 24-06-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

Our house has an old teak door, its in good nic and solid as. But it needs a bit of varnish as it hasn't been done for a decade or so. It has a light coloured polyurethane finish in it. But on the lower half of the door its got some black staining on it. Similar to what you see on timber furniture left in the rain. I've tried washing the door with sugar soap but its not shifting. A youtube video tells me Oxalic Acid is the way to go, but down here in wexford I'm getting some really weird looks in hardware stores when I ask for that. Do any of you know what is a good product and where I can get it to clean off this black sh** so I can paint me door.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Pedro

*** I should have advised that this type of work be undertaken in a well ventilated area preferably out of doors.***

1.Try 4 liters of warm water mixed with 1 cup of white vinegar. Scrub it in with a natural bristle brush.

or

2. One (1) cup household bleach mixed with 1 cup laundry detergent mixed with 4liters warm water.

or

3. Marine supply store: Star Bright teak cleaner. Follow directions.

Rinse well with water and let dry out of the sun for 24 hrs.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dathi

lenehans hardware in capel street dublin sell oxalic acid as part of there french polishing range they are online as well, average hardware shop wont know what it is. be careful if using it as its very toxic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Have a look at ingredients of garden decking cleaners in hardware shops. Some will have oxalic acid which you can use on the door. I'm not sure how effective it will be on water staining. Normally it's used on oak stained by reacting with iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Thanks guys, I did see lenehans on line all right. Thanks for the warning though!

I'll give Double Barrels options a whirl today and see how it goes. If not I'll have to order from lenehans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

2.1cup household bleach mixed with 1 cup laundry detergent mixed 4liters warm water.

As a general rule, you'd want to be weary of mixing bleach with other cleaning products. It can produce some very nasty toxic gases.

It's actually a fairly common suicide method!

• Advertisement
Advertisement