Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying the best new bike or risking second hand ?

Options
  • 24-06-2019 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Hi

I’m considering getting a road bike - budget 500 to 1000 / bike to work scheme not an option for me

I suppose if I get a second hand bike from a shop it will have some sort of guarantee ....

Anyone have an opinion on second hand bikes ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not many shops with secondhand bikes in that budget - usually people would buy and sell privately, you'll find a much better range of options on the likes of adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

not many shops with secondhand bikes in that budget - usually people would buy and sell p
    rivately, you'll find a much better range of options on the likes of adverts.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Depends on your height, budget, etc. you will find several bikes in the for sale section here, with this being my own Canyon Ultimate AL if you happen to be around 6 foot. >>> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057954652

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

With €1000 cash you can get yourself a used bike worth close to twice that on donedeal/adverts.

With €1k you can make offers on bikes priced closer to €1500 as the market is quite limited due to the fact that people opt for the bike to work scheme and new bikes when shopping in that price range so therefore people selling will be more willing to cut their loses and sell the bike than have it lying about unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

If you're sure you know what to look for (as in damage to carbon frames etc), go second hand as you'll get much more bike for your cash than buying new. My mate got a Specialized Ultegra 11 speed on Adverts for €800 when the best he could find new was an aluminium Trek with Claris groupset. Bike to work scheme won't get you much more than entry level carbon and Tiagra groupset anyway unless you put a lot more money to it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

The best value in new bikes is generally from the UK (IMHO). One way to get value is to look for specials on last years models. Depending on the size you are looking for you might get lucky. I got the bike I wanted new for 35%+ off. I had not choice in color and I ended up with a purple bike. Not an issue for me, I am delighted with my purchase. Second hand is ok, but at that price, there is an increased risk and you will need to do some proper haggling. There are a good few bikes out there on adverts and Donedeal but I think the price they are looking for is too rich, as if you can get the bike to work it would be cheaper to get a new one.

Do your research and sit on a few bikes, then you can make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Slim pickin's out there second at the minute though. Relatively speaking. - Too early for 2019 bargains and most of the best 2018 clearance deals snapped up. Plus on private sales anyone doing a bit of cycling is going to be inclined to make use of it over the summer.

Always worth a look though, you might be lucky with a bike in your size. I'd absolutely recommend used over new. Put up a want ad here - that often brings some surprises outta the woodwork :)

Advertisement