Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring in attic - any regulations

Options
  • 24-06-2019 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Is there any regulations with regard to wiring in attic. I noticed I've ot of wires around water tank. A leak may cause issues?

Wires run both above and under insulation. Also spot lights in place. One spot light is clamped onto insulation. Insulation is not pulled away from that spot light. And wire copper fractionally exposed.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Sounds like a house from the late 80's. They were built by the people that trained the Celtic Tiger cowboys, and we all know how that ended. There were in theory standards, but they were more ignored than obeyed by a significant number of installers in just about every trade in construction

Wrong colour sleeving, (or none) on earths, wrong colours on lighting, poorly installed junction boxes, earth wires twisted together and covered with insulating tape, downlighters covered in insulation, no earth wires to light switches, alarm wires installed with no protective trunking, wires thrown randomly around roof voids and wrapped around 6 inch nails to "keep them in place" and many other nasties that would fail an inspection now.

The worrying and annoying thing about that is the some of that same group of people who ignored and blatantly flew in the face of the regulations then are the same people that are now bringing in increasingly restrictive and in some cases inappropriate regulations that make it almost impossible for a home owner to do even simple work on their own house.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

Sounds like a house from the late 80's. They were built by the people that trained the Celtic Tiger cowboys, and we all know how that ended. There were in theory standards, but they were more ignored than obeyed by a significant number of installers in just about every trade in construction

Wrong colour sleeving, (or none) on earths, wrong colours on lighting, poorly installed junction boxes, earth wires twisted together and covered with insulating tape, downlighters covered in insulation, no earth wires to light switches, alarm wires installed with no protective trunking, wires thrown randomly around roof voids and wrapped around 6 inch nails to "keep them in place" and many other nasties that would fail an inspection now.

The worrying and annoying thing about that is the some of that same group of people who ignored and blatantly flew in the face of the regulations then are the same people that are now bringing in increasingly restrictive and in some cases inappropriate regulations that make it almost impossible for a home owner to do even simple work on their own house.

House is from early 70s actually. I don't think what you describe is as bad as my situation alarm wires have protective insulation, I don't know of example of wrong colours , nothing on roof. Haven't seen insulating tape to wrap up cables. But what I describe in my original post. Do they conform to standards nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

allycavs wrote: »
    Is there any regulations with regard to wiring in attic. I noticed I've ot of wires around water tank. A leak may cause issues?

Wires run both above and under insulation. Also spot lights in place. One spot light is clamped onto insulation. Insulation is not pulled away from that spot light. And wire copper fractionally exposed.
    It's hard to tell from a post on board s , but if you're concerned you should get the place checked out. A contractor can do a periodic inspection report of the premises which is a fairly comprehensive test of the entire installation , the stuff you've described sounds like poor workmanship , but pretty common at the time. No harm to get it checked

Advertisement